Who should buy the Hanwag Alaska GTX
The Alaska GTX from Hanwag is a men's classic hiking boot designed for various trekking adventures. Don't hesitate and get them if you are looking for:
- a pair of robust boots suitable for lower mountain ranges and off-trail use
- footwear perfect for heavy-load treks due to its shock-absorbent memory midsole, providing extra cushioning
- a hiking boot that will safeguard your foot against rugged trails with its elevated brim and grippy outsole.
Grippy self-cleaning outsole
The Vibram Fuora has self-cleaning grooves that channel out water and mud to ensure grip on muddy, wet, or slanting surfaces. The forefront and heel area renders maximum grip while the engraved shanks in the midfoot area ensure a firm hold on uneven grounds.
It has a rounded heel that assists in achieving a natural touchdown, and the rockered sole promotes a smoother transition from impact to toe-off. The lateral-medial side and undercut heel grant secure braking.
Shock absorbent midsole
The polyurethane (PU) shock absorber in the midsole acts as a buffer and reduces the effect of hiking over rough terrains. It distributes the impact of sharp forces, which are concentrated at a point, over the whole surface area. This attribute reduces the risk of injuries and increases the durability of the hiking boot.
Ample cushioning in Hanwag Alaska GTX
The graded memory insole of this backpacking boot has shape retention ability. It is able to return to its original form after use.
Durable nubuck leather upper
The Hanwag Alaska GTX has an upper made of waxed nubuck Terracare Zero leather. Nubuck leather is buffed on the grain side that gives it a velvety and attractive look. It delivers breathability, water-repellency, and durability making it able to work in a variety of outdoor conditions.
One-piece construction with reduced seams
The cemented or one-piece build of this high-cut backpacking boot ensures that there are fewer seams used. It helps retain the shape of the boots and is more durable and eco-friendly as it can be resoled. The reduced seams technique, on the other hand, decreases the risk of chafing and pressure points.
Breathable Gore-Tex lining
Using the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort laminate, the Alaska GTX from Hanwag creates a balance between waterproofness and breathability. This lining also offers moderate insulation for a broader range of outdoor activities.
Moreover, the Air Pulse System keeps the environment inside the boots fresh and dry by promoting air circulation and wicking away moisture. The holes on the collar allow the expulsion of hot air inside and fresh air to be drawn in the boots while walking.
Hanwag's elevated protection rand
The upper is reinforced with an elevated brim. It is a handcrafted rand that wraps the lower part of the upper that protects against rocks and adds durability. The flex zone at the heel area promotes a more comfortable stride.
- Alaska GTX also comes in a winter-hiking boot variant—Alaska Winter GTX.
- This leather hiking boot is compatible with strap-on crampons. They are not fit for steep ice and harder mixed climbs.
- In caring for the boots, Hanwag recommends the following steps:
1. Brush off dirt every after use. For stubborn dirt, rinse the boots under running water. Avoid using soap.
2. The insides should be cleaned using a sponge or soft brush and fresh water. Do not use hot water.
3. Thoroughly dry boots in a well-ventilated, dry, and shady place. Do not expose to extreme heat as it can damage the boot’s construction. Never store damp shoes in humid and closed places.
4. Regularly apply impregnation sprays on dry boots.
5. In caring for the leather upper, using a special wax (no grease or oil) is necessary to keep it moisturized. Apply a thin coat of wax.