6 Best La Sportiva Approach Shoes in 2023
If you’re looking for high-performance footwear for technical climbing and mountain scrambling, these top-rated La Sportiva approach shoes would be a solid choice. As one of the giants in the approach footwear niche, the brand has gained the trust of the climbing and mountaineering community.
From La Sportiva’s pool of kicks come the breathable and superlight TX2, TX3, and the waterproof TX4 GTX, all of them receiving high ratings from experts. For the best all-around and scrambling shoes, the TX Guide Leather is a standout when it comes to protection, traction, and durability.
We’ve rounded up and tested 10+ of the best La Sportiva approach shoes in the market. Read our in-depth reviews based on rigorous performance tests. Also, check the top picks below in various categories.
How we test approach shoes
La Sportiva possesses a strong reputation in the market for its great combination of climbing performance, Megagrip sole stickiness, and durability. We bring all the latest releases of the label to our lab for a careful scrutiny. We then test them by scrambling and hiking on a variety of terrain. Here’s a summary of our process:
- Buy all the pairs of approach shoes from La Sportiva for our series of tests. We spend our own funds to maintain the objectivity of our reviews.
- Test the shoes in technical climbing, bouldering, or cragging. We take note of each model’s out-of-the-box fit, stability, break-in period, grippiness, edging capability, protective features, durability, et cetera.
- Subject the footwear further to tougher approach challenges and outdoor environments. We assess each shoe’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Collect more useful data from feedback given by experienced outdoorsmen, mountaineers, and casual weekend warriors.
To end this guide, we rank all the pairs of La Sportiva approach shoes in the catalog. From 0 to 100, each model is assigned their respective scores displayed on the CoreScore.
Best La Sportiva approach shoes overall
- Immensely plush
- Mighty arch support
- Steady on rubbly terrain
- Narrow fit
- Long break-in period
What makes it the best overall?
Best La Sportiva mesh approach shoes
- Superb in scree fields
- Extremely grippy
- Surprisingly good for technical climbing
- Great foot protection
- Stiff and comfortable for walking up and down inclines
- Comfortable without socks
- Exceptional fit
- Difficult to put on
- Not for hot weather
- Not great for all-day wear
What makes it the best mesh?
Best La Sportiva waterproof approach shoes
- Astronomical level of comfort
- Sticky outsole
- Super-dependable ankle support
- Not very durable
- The laces come undone easily
- Lack of breathability
What makes it the best waterproof?
Best La Sportiva leather approach shoes
- Incredibly tough
- Mighty plush
- Grippy hikes guaranteed
- Edging royalty
- Among the most affordable
- Does well in fissures
- Mythos-inspired closure system
- Good for hiking
- Laces get undone often
- Narrow toe box
What makes it the best leather?
Best La Sportiva low approach shoes
- Extremely grippy
- Amazing level of comfort
- Superb breathability
- Super-quick break-in period
- Great piece of investment
- Unreliable toe zone
- Short laces
What makes it the best low?
- Excellent surface traction
- Incredibly comfy
- Versatile trail runner
- Super-snug fit
- Solid support system
- Amazing edging capabilities
- Poor climbing ability