Columbia Redmond Mid Waterproof
Best price from 30 shops
We earn affiliate commissions at no extra cost to you when you buy through us.
41% say it's too small, 57% say it's true to size.
Overview of this review
Updates to Columbia Redmond Mid Waterproof
- Thanks to its upper that is made up of layers of genuine leather and synthetic textiles, Columbia’s Redmond Mid Waterproof is protective and, at the same time, lightweight. Its waterproofing is handled by the Columbia-exclusive Omni-Tech.
- Protecting and cushioning the wearer’s feet in every step is the Techlite midsole. It promises high energy return besides stability and lasting comfort.
- For surface traction, the Redmond Mid Waterproof comes with the Omni-Grip outsole. It is designed to provide traction over different types of terrain, thanks to the multi-shaped protrusions (or lugs) covering its surface.
- This shoe is replaced by the Columbia Redmond V2 Mid Waterproof.
Size and fit
The Columbia Redmond Mid Waterproof is a day hiking boot for both men and women. Getting a personalized lockdown is a rather simple affair with the boot’s classic lacing system. The interior of both the ankle collar and tongue are padded to deliver a snug fit. A pull tab on the back of the heel ensures wearers get to put on or remove the boot with relative ease.
Omni-Grip, Columbia’s very own outsole technology, is made of special rubber compounds. It provides and maintains traction over various surfaces whether wet or dry with its spiky, low-profile lugs and grooved patterns. There are protrusions lining the outsole’s sides to assist hikers during lateral maneuvers. The heel’s outer section is also engineered with ridges. Their inclusion grants users a level of slip resistance, especially when negotiating downward slopes and inclines.
Other than traction, this grippy layer also provides additional forefoot protection. The designers made this possible by slightly extending the outsole’s front end toward the upper, and thereby giving the boot a decent rubber bumper. A similar protective extension is also found at the boot’s heel. The amount of area it covers is considerably wide which lends users extra heel support.
The Columbia Redmond Mid Waterproof’s midsole is engineered with an in-house technology called Techlite. This stabilizing platform has an extra beefy heel zone to make landings safe and comfortable by actively absorbing shock. Its construction allows it to retain its form during transitions, and thus providing ample cushioning with each ground contact. From the heel section, the midsole tapers toward the front end giving the boot a noticeably slender profile. For added comfort, the boot also comes default with a removable footbed.
With its mid-cut upper consisting of mesh, webbing, and suede leather, the Columbia Redmond Mid Waterproof is made supportive, comfortable, and lightweight. The combination of mesh and perforated leather overlays makes it breathable. Over at the front end of the boot is a strip of sturdy material. It functions as a rubber rand which, along with the outsole’s front extension, further reinforces and protects the toe box. The main bootie is imbued with a Columbia-trademarked waterproof liner known as Omni-Tech. This technology doesn’t just wall off wet elements, it also wicks away sweat and moisture. The collar is contoured and ridge-like to improve mobility in virtually every direction.
The boot’s round laces and lace tunnels are both synthetic. The lace loops at the ankle line, on the other hand, are made of a solid material closely comparable to hard plastic.
- Columbia also offers this boot in a low-cut, non-waterproof version called Redmond Low.
- Soiled Columbia footwear must be rinsed immediately under clean tap water with the use of a soft-bristled brush. It must be dried naturally, away from direct sunlight, and preferably with the insole removed.