Who should buy the Altra Duo
The Altra Duo brings together a balance of maximum-level cushioning and lightweight wear in a zero-drop silhouette. This shoe is recommended for you if:
- You want enhanced speed and prolonged running power while enabling natural motion.
- You prefer a versatile running shoe that is ideal for road racing and up-tempo runs.
Updates to the Altra Duo
- A thin mesh presents itself as the upper of the Duo, which wraps the foot comfortably and enables optimal breathability for a well-ventilated run
- There are thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) overlays that support the mesh for a secure fit and maintain the shoe’s structural integrity
- The midsole uses Max-LT, Altra’s special foam compound that offers an exceptional level of cushioning and energy return
- The outsole has a decoupled design, giving the shoe a flexible quality and letting it adjust according to the foot’s motions
A flexible and lightweight outsole
The blown rubber outsole of this road shoe focuses on the high-wear areas. The forefoot and heel have twice as much rubber to make them durable, but not at the expense of weight.
It also features a decoupled design, which means that underfoot flexibility is enhanced. This is because the shock is distributed evenly, in contrast to the conventional one-piece outsole where impact tends to concentrate on only one area.
Low-impact landings with the Duo
The Max-LT is a new midsole compound from Altra that is present in the Duo. Made from injection-molded foam, the Max-LT creates an extensive underfoot cushioning, but not at the expense of weight – a feature that will appeal to marathon runners and long-distance trainers.
With a zero-drop structure, the platform of the Altra Duo places the heel and forefoot on the same height, permitting a natural position and alignment that results in a low-impact landing.
The Inner Flex technology is also present, which means there are flex grooves across the length of the shoe. The grooves equip the foot with enhanced functionality while also encouraging a natural stride.
Excellent airflow made possible
The upper of the Altra Duo consists of a reinforced mesh that is razor-thin. The thinness of the material makes the shoe twice as much breathable compared to regular mesh uppers, as it ensures excellent airflow even during hot and humid conditions. However, while it may look flimsy, it is durable enough to handle the runner’s fastest pace.
A Dri-Lex fabric liner wraps the inside of the upper, giving a sensation that is almost like a second skin. Aside from supplying comfort, it also keeps the foot dry as its unique fibers wick away moisture.
Few thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) overlays surround the upper, keeping the layout simple while still delivering the necessary support especially at the midfoot. The minimal design maintains the breathability of the mesh upper, as there are fewer restrictions on it.
The toe box of the Duo, same as the Olympus 3.0, is Altra’s proprietary design, called the FootShape. Its structure lets the toes spread out naturally, yielding stability and balance. Because the foot now has an increased capability of remaining steady, running power is improved.
The shoe’s heel collar has a deepened structure, allowing the Achilles to fit precisely and snugly, thus ensuring a locked-down feel.