Good to know
The Rod Laver Super took the low-cut silhouette of the original tennis sneaker. This shoe was made with a less performing quality, but with an improved comfort level through its cushioned insoles, padded ankle collar and tongue. A remake of the original, this shoe runs in men’s sizes.
Wearers loved the simplicity of the Rod Laver Super, as much as they adored its original release. The classic all-white silhouette goes well with tapered jeans, shorts, and even tailored fitting suits. A lot prefers wearing it without socks. With its cushy insoles, the shoe isn’t just sleek but said to be supremely comfy too.
Many people would desist from wearing shoes with obsolete style. But what makes this shoe super, apart from its timeless noticeable features is the supreme comfort it gives to the foot. One of the advantages of the Rod Laver Super is its distinctive all-white nylon mesh upper which offers not only an aesthetic appeal, but superb breathability as well as it keeps the foot appropriately ventilated.
Another super factor lies in its sole. Its midsole is made of lightweight but hard wearing polyurethane for added comfort. It is paired with an outsole of contrast PU. With its sole made of polyurethane, it is highly possible that the shoe will have a substantial second-hand value.
The growing demand for Adidas’ original footwear designs pushed this German brand to resurrect some of its most recognizable silhouettes. One that received a few tweaks was this highly sought after classic Rod Laver kicks originally dropped in 1970 as a tennis shoe. Its initial DNA resembles the Adidas’ star player of all time, the Stan Smith, a white and green tennis shoe with perforated stripes on the sides.
Several iterations of the Rod Laver came out later such as the 2012 Rod Laver LEA Retro that took away the noticeable stripes from the original leather cover and replaced with a perforated upper.
A few years later, the perforated leather covering used for the original Rod Laver was changed to nylon mesh, which enhanced the breathability of the shoe. Its midsole and outsole were made of thick rubber that resulted to better grip and traction on ground surfaces. However, many noticed that the shoe lost much of its flexibility as compared to the performance feature of the original drop.
In 2016, the Rod Laver Super was launched, offering a much-improved comfort complimented by its classic style. It retained the forefoot pivot point feature of the original design in its outsole for added traction.
Several collaborative works between the brand and other popular retail stores and prominent designers were made to remaster the Rod Laver under the Adidas Consortium collection.
The Rod Laver leaped from the court to the streets with the release of three colorways that made a striking appeal to skateboarding communities. These were the Silas Baxter-Neal, Dennis Busenitz, and Lucas Puig.
It was said that before Kanye West teamed up with Nike for the creation of the Air Yeezy 1 and Yeezy 2 and later on with Adidas for the Yeezy Boost 350 and Yeezy Boost 750, he linked up with this German brand in 2006 to work on the Adidas Rod Laver Vintage tennis sneaker project. However, the shoe was not released during that time.
- The Rod Laver Super was released in 2016
- The shoe was named after 1960s Grand Slam champ Rod Laver
- The 2014 iteration of the same silhouette had a more stiff outsole as compared to the Rod Laver Super.
- It came out in three colorways, the classic white/green, white/scarlet, and the white/collegiate navy. The red version is no longer available on the Adidas site.
- It features the most recognizable Trefoil logo on the tongue and debossed branding on the heel tab.
- The upper and laces are made of dirt-repellant materials.
- Just like its original version, the Rod Laver Super has suede bumper across the toe area.
- It features a cushioned insole that is paired with a long-lasting, broad PU midsole which provides shock absorption and additional comfort.
- Its inner lining is created with synthetic material while the tongue and collar are padded for additional support and protection.
- Footbag enthusiasts find the Rod Laver Super appealing. They modify the layer of synthetic material under the nylon mesh upper and lacing system to add more flexibility in the foot during Footbag games, a kind of sports that is quite similar to the Asian version called Takraw.