Who should buy the Adidas Leistung 16 II
Engineered to add stability and support to its wearer, the Adidas Leistung 16 II is a solid option if:
- You are into weightlifting and have been facing challenges when it comes to maintaining balance.
- You are looking to better your hip and ankle mobility during your squat routine.
Updates to the Adidas Leistung 16 II
- In the 2018 update, Adidas utilized a new upper made of structured mesh. It is meant to give a more comfortable fit and is easier to breaking-in.
- The 2017 version features a more understated design as well as more subdued color schemes. A solid synthetic leather cover of the previous version has been replaced by a woven synthetic material called Powerweave.
- The BOA closure in the 2017 iteration has been altered too. Instead of serving as the principal lockdown mechanism, it functions only as a medial strap. The lacing system has been added for enhanced support.
The Adidas Leistung 16 II utilizes a rubber outsole to shield the platform against abrasion. The rubber has a textured design which ensures all-around traction.
The outsole extends past the upper in the forefoot and heel sections to provide a wider pressing surface. It is also flat to ensure a stable and planted stance.
The Leistung 16 II features a non-compressible TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) heel wedge. Its purpose is to deliver a sturdy and durable base for the foot. It raises the heel height to 25 mm. A higher heel-to-toe drop helps athletes to achieve better hip and ankle mobility during squats. However, such elevation may not be appropriate for entry-level weightlifters as well as for those who do a lot of powerlifting. In these cases, it may be more beneficial to go with shoes like Adidas Power Perfect 3 which has a 19-mm heel height and also comes at a cheaper price point.
The external part of the TPU extends to the upper, forming a cradle for the heel. The walls of this structure help in keeping the foot in place when lifting weights.
A drop-in insole provides minimal cushioning. It can be removed for an even firmer underfoot feel.
Sturdy and breathable upper
The Adidas Leistung 16 II can be found in two variations of the upper: the woven Powerweave and the structured mesh. The Powerweave is a synthetic woven material with a texture similar to carbon fiber. It aims to deliver a strong, yet flexible support throughout the training session. The spaces between the weaves breathe air into the foot chamber, keeping it ventilated.
Another model makes use of structured mesh. Despite its seemingly soft texture, it is a sturdy material which gives the foot structured support. It is also made to be broken-in and conform to the shape of the wearer's foot more comfortably.
The upper is reinforced with synthetic overlays in the critical areas for added structure and support.
Snug lacing system
The micro-adjustable BOA Closure System is utilized to secure the midfoot. It consists of steel laces, low-friction lace guides, and a regulating dial, which tighten the straps on the lateral and medial sides.
A traditional lacing system secures the rest of the foot. It also features an extra pair of eyelets on the collar for additional ankle support.