For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
- The iteration of the Teva Katavi Sandal features an improved design of the upper. It still wears a combination of suede and mesh. The latter, however, is now concentrated on areas beneath the leather material. The designers of this Teva product retired of the pull loop at the heel and moved the Teva logo from the instep Velcro closure to the lateral side.
- It inherited the EVA footbed (with a textured finish) and a nylon shank from its predecessor. The said components provide comfort and support, respectively.
- It still employs the brand’s Durabrasion Rubber for surface traction. Together, its midsole and outsole form a rockered profile which promotes a more natural roll-off motion.
The Teva Katavi 2 is a true-to-size men’s-only multi-sport hiking sandals. It is available in whole sizes and standard (D) width only. Its Velcro closure enables wearers to customize the overall fit and volume quickly. The brand recommends getting a half size up to those who are in between sizes.
The outsole of the Katavi 2 Sandal features the Durabrasion Rubber of Teva. It grants performance on the trails without weighing the user’s foot down. Its lugs are also designed to bite into most types of terrain. These studs are placed strategically to allow automatic drainage of water to prevent slips and falls.
Cradling the user’s foot is a contoured EVA footbed. It has a textured finish which yields foot-to-sole traction, thus preventing slippage. Ethylene-vinyl acetate or EVA is known for its ability to provide cushioning without adding bulk. This lightweight rubber-like material enhances each step for a more comfortable ride.
Its footbed houses a nylon shank (also light in weight) which gives underfoot rigidity. It stabilizes and supports the foot over rugged terrain.
This multi-sport hiking sandal from Teva wears a suede leather upper. Underneath this material is a cool-wearing mesh which enhances comfort. It has three points of adjustment—at the forefoot, instep and heel—which uses Velcro. It has a hook-and-loop closure which permits a quick on and off.
The brand recommends cleaning the footgear every two to four weeks, depending on use frequency. The following care tips help extend the life of Teva sandals.
- Do not machine wash the sandals. Use an antimicrobial soap and warm water and hand wash it. With the aid of a soft bristled brush, gently scrub away the accumulated dirt or debris in the outsole. Bend the sandal to expose hidden soil in the grooves.
- In case of persistent odor, try the below steps.
- Mix one cup of antimicrobial mouthwash and two cups of water. Soak the sandals for 15 minutes then scrub gently. Air dry.
- In a chlorinated pool or hot tub, submerge the sandals for 15 to 20 minutes. Scrub and rinse in clean water. Air dry.
- If odor persists after the above tips, place the clean and dry sandals in a plastic sealing bag. Put it in the freezer overnight.
- Sprinkling baking soda on the footbed also helps. Let it sit for 8 to 24 hours. Its odor-neutralizing effect can be maximized by placing the sandals (with baking soda) in a plastic bag.
- For leather sandals, Teva recommends using nubuck leather cleaner. It helps remove the odor and clean the material without marring the quality of the leather.
- Always dry the sandals in an open, well-ventilated area. Do not expose it to direct sunlight or heat.