Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
- Teva’s Hurricane XLT is a multi-sport sandal that has features aimed at the agile hiker. It is lightweight and fast-drying due largely to its webbing upper made of polyester. The heel, ankle, and forefoot straps are all adjustable.
- The sandal’s EVA midsole is engineered to have a prominent arch for support. It has a non-removable footbed that absorbs shock and fights foot odor.
- The Hurricane XLT is able to bite into most surfaces and maintain grip on tricky grounds, thanks to its trademarked Rugged Durabrasion Rubber outsole. It is peppered with low-profile lugs for enhanced traction.
The Hurricane XLT is an open-toe hiking sandal by Teva for both men and women. It comes in standard width and whole sizes. The men’s version is offered in sizes 7 through 16, while the women’s pair comes in sizes 5 through 11. A Teva representative advised purchasers who prefer wearing between sizes to consider getting a pair a half size down as the sandal runs slightly large. The Hurricane XLT’s closure system has straps which can be adjusted according to the wearer’s desired fit.
The Hurricane XLT’s traction over challenging terrain is an ability granted by Teva’s Rugged Durabrasion Rubber outsole. This underfoot layer that makes first contact with the ground is made of a rubber compound which is characterized by toughness and resilience. This rubber outsole is also engineered with shallow, multi-directional lugs which give hikers grip on both wet and dry terrain. The lugs found on the heel part of the sole is made especially diagonal to aid wearers during unpredictable descents.
With its durable yet cushy rubber midsole, the Teva Hurricane XLT is able to shield the wearer’s foot from virtually all sorts of terrain nuisance like rocks and roots without sacrificing comfort. This stabilizing, elastic rubber platform is made of EVA—a synthetic material known for its flexible and stress-resistant properties. It also systematically absorbs shock, thanks to the Teva-trademarked Shoc Pad. This exclusive technology, which is encapsulated within the heel zone, makes every landing safe by displacing shock from the heel and evenly distributing it throughout the midsole unit.
Embedded in the midsole is a nylon shank which contributes to the overall stability of the sandal. This man-made, supportive component provides adequate flexibility to reduce foot stress, especially around the arch zone.
The sandal’s non-removable footbed adds to the wearer’s comfort with its sleek contour and cushy engineering. It is treated with Microban’s odor control technology which aims to keep the wearer’s feet smelling nice and fresh.
The Teva Hurricane XLT’s strappy upper is mainly made of a quick-drying polyester fabric. This type of material plays a significant role in the sandal’s genuine lightness. The straps are linked together with a set of triangular loops which are rounded and beveled for easy adjustments. These straps are also secured with Velcro-like fasteners, making personalized fit around the ankle and forefoot zones possible. In addition, these fasteners make on and off relatively convenient.
- To improve the lifespan of the Teva Hurricane XLT, owners may wash it by hand using a mild soap and warm water. Let air dry. Teva strongly discourages machine washing their sandals.
- The Hurricane XLT2 replaces this product.