For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WeightMen: 6.7ozWomen: 6oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Updates to Teva Alp
- A '90s classic reintroduced, the Teva Alp stays true to its roots yet now comes with a strong emphasis on durability. Compared with its former self, this version—though still a minimalist when it comes to looks—has been re-engineered to have an overall “bombproof” build.
- The lightness of the sandal is mainly attributed to its water-ready polyester webbing upper. Its straps are thinner and have increased in number, offering better lockdown security than the previous version.
- Its cushy EVA midsole provides comfort and adequate shock absorption, while the reinforced rubber outsole grants enough traction over urban and outdoor surfaces.
Teva Alp size and fit
The Teva Alp is a strappy hiking sandal designed for both male and female outdoor adventurers. It runs fairly true to size. It is offered in a number of different sizes and comes in standard width. It has a trio of configurable straps, and each may be set according to the wearer’s desired tightness and fit.
Thanks to its simplistic yet resilient rubber outsole, the Teva Alp can provide traction on various surfaces, whether indoors or outdoors. A big contributor to the outsole’s grippy characteristic is its low-profile, triangular lugs. These protrusions cover almost the entirety of the sole’s underside for an all-around kind of traction.
For cushioning and ground protection, this strappy hiking footwear comes with a sleek yet sturdy midsole. It is made of ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA)—a porous material akin to rubber when it comes to springiness and durability. This kind of material gives the Alp a lasting midsole, one that balances comfort and performance within its confines. Its forefoot zone is rockered—a feature that promotes better mobility, particularly during toe-offs.
Adding to the comfort level of the sandal is its built-in (non-removable) footbed. It has a textured surface that prevents underfoot slippage.
The component that primarily makes the Teva Alp ultra-lightweight is its webbing upper. Chiefly made of polyester, its slender straps—with their ends securely embedded within the midsole unit—are tough against abrasive elements, mildew, and most chemicals. These straps are also hydrophobic in that they effectively disperse water (thus they dry quickly), allowing wearers to ford through shallow streams and the like without slowing them down.
Serving as strap adjust points, the lower buckles are made of a sturdy plastic material. The clip mechanism conjoining and securing the ankle straps is made of the same plastic material. However, this mechanism, unlike the lower buckles, can be unfastened fairly easily for convenient on and off.
- Wash the Teva Alp by hand in warm water with the aid of an antimicrobial soap to rid it of dirt and stain. Let it air dry. Do not wash the sandal by machine.
- If after washing the Alp odor persists, soak it in a solution containing 1 cup of antimicrobial mouthwash and 2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Scrub it with a soft bristled brush, then let it air dry.