Tecnica Forge GTX notable features
- The Tecnica Forge GTX is a trekking boot that aims to provide comfort and protection to serious backpackers. This heat-moldable hiker features innovative technologies directed at providing the best fit possible and enhancing outdoor performance.
- The boot’s leather upper is built with a Gore-Tex laminate (the same technology used in waterproofing the Salomon’s Quest 4D 3 GTX and Lowa’s Renegade GTX Mid) that makes it all-weather ready. Its wrap-around tongue design, self-locking lacing system, and pronounced toe rand all contribute to creating an amplified performance.
- This Tecnica hiker features the Adaptive Sole System. This is a unit that includes two layers of EVA (top and base), an ESS central portion, and a grippy Vibram outsole. Its heel-to-toe rocker promotes a smooth transition from heel strike to toe off.
Size and fit
The Tecnica men’s and women’s Forge GTX is an above-the-ankle boot that provides a unique moldable fit, thanks to its Custom Adaptive Shape (CAS) system. It is offered in a range of whole and half sizes. The self-locking lacing system will allow owners to dial in the fit.
The Tecnica women’s Forge GTX boot is pre-shaped using a gender-specific last that has a lower volume at the heel, forefoot, and instep. Its CAS footbed is also built around the shape of the female foot.
It is important to remember that to get a fully-customized fit, interested buyers should visit an authorized retailer so the boot can be custom-molded. The in-store fitting process consists of two steps. First, a Tecnica-trained staff heats the CAS footbed, places it inside an inflatable bootie and matches it with the user’s foot using a compression molding technique. At the same time, the machine is also warming up the boot. Once done, the now-customized footbed is inserted into the boot and repeats the same process in the inflatable bags.
Providing stability and traction on the trails is the Forge GTX’s Vibram outsole. This unit is made of Megagrip compound that renders grip on both wet and dry grounds. It has reverse lugs, meaning the sole has tiny dents—instead of minute protrusions—present inside the treads that maximize its surface contact area.
This robust leather hiker from Tecnica employs an adaptive bottom unit to provide optimal comfort. This feature is comprised of a three-layered midsole. Its base uses a soft-density EVA that works with the boot’s outsole upon ground contact, allowing it to adapt on various terrain types. Its middle portion is an ESS EVA that shields the foot against edgy rocks while its top layer is made of a light mid-density EVA for flexibility and enhanced cushioning.
Cradling the user’s foot is a CAS Footbed that aims to boost comfort and support. This thermo-formable insole is made of a customizable EVA layer in the forefoot and heel areas. It has perforated zones that amplify underfoot breathability.
The upper of this boot from Tecnica wears a 1.8 mm nubuck leather with a stretch fabric base. It carries the brand’s very own CAS or the Custom Adaptive Shape feature. This technology makes the key areas of the foot (heel, arch, and ankle) heat-moldable, providing an optimized level of comfort and support.
Protecting users against wet intrusion is the Gore-Tex Extended Comfort. It also renders a decent amount of breathability that helps keep the foot dry and fresh. A Tecnica-embossed rubber rand shields the toes against obstacles.
Instead of using a classic tongue construction, the Forge GTX is engineered with an overlap cuff design for flexibility and easy step-in. Made of elastic fabric, it wraps around the ankle and helps relieve pressure points usually present in a traditional tongue. This style also assists in distributing the pressure at the top of the foot evenly.
This backpacking boot carries a self-locking lacing system. Using a lace with a rugged surface, it runs through high-tenacity Kevlar loops and three pairs of speed hooks. The upper is complemented by a heel tab that makes donning and doffing easier.
Nice to know
- This all-leather boot also comes in a synthetic version—the Forge S GTX.
- The Tecnica Forge GTX can be remolded several times.