Specialized Torch 1.0: An advanced entry-level road shoe
Defying the rule book of what an entry-level bike shoe should be, the Specialized Torch 1.0 offers the same feel, performance, and quality in a more budget-friendly package. It is considered one of the most feature-packed beginner road bike shoes in the market.
Who is it for? The Torch 1.0 is a road cycling shoe recommended for roadies who value the following:
- Beginners who are looking for an efficient shoe to start with
- The pro adjustability and look of a BOA closure
- Excellent value for money
- Fans and users of this model’s earlier version who are willing to switch/try Look Delta cleats
- Cyclists who value style and love color options to choose from
Updates from its former version
Specialized’s popular and highly-rated entry-level road shoes underwent a major overhaul in 2020. The brand redesigned its most successful beginner shoe and applied more high-end features. What are the updates?
The most apparent change is the loss of the three-Velcro-strap retention system and the commuter-friendly two-bolt SPD cleat fitting:
- the straps have been replaced by a BOA L6 dial for on-the-go micro-adjustments
- the SPD cleats replaced by three-bolt Look Delta.
In conjunction with the BOA, the brand’s Body Geometry technology is also added to provide a more comfortable fit. It is also said that the newer offering has shed about 50g a pair.