|Update:||Saucony Echelon 7|
|Weight:||Men: 11.7oz | Women: 10oz|
|Heel to toe drop:||Men: 8mm | Women: 8mm|
|Arch type:||High arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Midfoot strike|
|Distance:||Daily running | Long distance | Marathon|
|Heel height:||Men: 26mm | Women: 26mm|
|Forefoot height:||Men: 18mm | Women: 18mm|
|Type:||Heavy | Big guy | Low drop|
|Width:||Men: Normal, Wide, X-Wide | Women: Normal|
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
83 / 100 based on 4 expert reviews
In other words, you’ll hardly even notice as your foot strikes, which is a flat footer’s dream.
Snug fit in the heel and midfoot with plenty of toe room (and it comes in a wide!)
The upper does an excellent job locking down the foot and providing a secure fit. While there are some sewn-on overlays in the toebox, they are soft and pliable and do not cause any chafing or discomfort.
But it does everything you could ask it to do, and does it all so well that it’s easy to forget you’re wearing shoes at all.
- The 5th version of the Echelon from Saucony was uniquely designed to accommodate a wide variety of foot-types. Neutral runners who want to add more inserts or orthotics can do so because of the slightly spacious construction.
- The Foundation Platform’s deliberately straighter shape accommodates runners with wider feet.
- The combination of SSL EVA, SRC Impact Zone and POWERGRID mid-sole components offer improved underfoot support, durability and shock absorption. A more pronounced springiness to the foam unit was also included to allow protection from impact.
- The more robust overall design provides better quality and performance throughout all its sections. The outsole rubber, the mid-sole thickness and the upper unit’s add-ons are more abundant, essentially heightening the Saucony Echelon 5’s lasting capability.
- The weight of the Saucony Echelon 5 is 332 grams (11.7oz), which is 32 grams (1.1oz) heavier than the previous version.
The Echelon 5 has a standard running shoe length. It’s a solid choice for the athlete who has a medium-sized foot. The heel, mid-foot and forefoot areas are accommodated well when wearing it. The width is wider than the previous version as it’s a deliberate design choice that lets runners make use of additional inserts for a customized underfoot platform.
The XT-900 is a compound made from carbon rubber and it’s added to the outsole unit to provide sure traction over the roads and other flat surfaces. It’s a high quality material that’s capable of resisting wear and tearing. The Injection Blown Rubber of IBR+ is Saucony’s choice of compound for important zones in the outsole. 33% lighter than most rubber units for outsole layers, the IBR+ outsole zones are capable of giving additional cushioning and responsiveness to each performance. This durable outsole configuration is also present in the latest Saucony Echelon 7.
The SSL EVA distinguishes itself as one of the most durable mid-sole foams on the market. It also doesn’t have a heavy weight. This Saucony Super Lite foam adds bounce to each step, helping to even out shock and impact. The POWERGRID is a mid-sole unit that mixes Saucony’s Powerfoam and GRID technologies. It offers a well-cushioned and efficient ride through the absorption of landing impact and the distribution of pressure when landing the foot on the ground. The SRC Impact Zone runs from the heel to the mid-foot area. It was designed to attenuate shock, as well as prepare the foot for a smoother movement from the heel to the toe.
The breathable Open Mesh fabric works in tandem with the Sauc-Fit system to provide a comfortable, well-ventilated and responsive coverage for the foot. They also keep the foot in place and maintain a non-irritating environment for the skin. The RUNDRY Collar Lining keeps the foot locked in the shoe. It has a moisture-wicking capability, which prevents bacteria build-up and a wet inner sleeve feel. The Foundation Platform was constructed from a last shape that is able to accommodate runners and athletes with wider feet. The upper hugs the foot snugly, but it can also deliver a comfortable overall experience for many types of runners and many foot shapes. A Polyurethane Sock Liner that’s 6mm thick is added to improve the cushioning given by the underfoot platform. It’s a soft component that carries the foot well through longer activities.