|Features:||Lightweight | Breathable | Orthotic friendly|
|Weight:||Men: 12.7oz | Women: 11.6oz|
|Width:||Men: Normal | Women: Normal|
|Material:||Rubber sole, Mesh upper|
|Colorways:||Black, Blue, Green, Grey, Multi, Red|
|Special editions:||1 special editions|
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
89 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
With a nearly full mesh construction and skeleton lacing for support, this shoe will take on water and shed it just as fast. Great for those looking for a lightweight trail runner hiker.
[B]eware of your own foot size and needs. Otherwise, this is a great shoe.
These are lightweight Men’s hiking shoes made by a company that knows how to make performance footwear. These are lightweight Men’s hiking shoes made by a company that knows how to make performance footwear.
- Thanks to its synthetic mesh upper, the Salomon X Prime Ultra is made lightweight, ideal for nimble hikers. It sports a stitched-on overlay which gives the shoe added protection against wear, tear and the elements.
- The footwear’s contoured ankle collar and Achilles notch widen the wearer’s maneuverability options. The ankle ridges are specially contoured to promote lateral movements.
- Granting hikers the ground stability, impact protection and shock absorption that they need is the X Ultra Prime’s injected EVA midsole. Further contributing to its stabilizing ability is the proprietary Advanced Chassis technology. It also enhances the user’s motion control.
- The shoe’s Contagrip outsole—yet another Salomon footwear technology—provides and maintains traction on unpredictable terrain. Its multi-directional lugs can bite into virtually all sorts of surfaces.
The X Ultra Prime is a day hiking gear designed for both men and women. Getting a custom fit is made possible by the shoe’s standard lacing system. It works with Salomon’s Sensifit technology, an overlay that hugs the foot tighter as more lace pressure is applied. The padded collar lining gives comfort.
Giving traction and preventing slips on uneven terrain, regardless if it is wet or dry, is the shoe’s Contagrip outsole. It is a multi-compound sole with varying densities which make it part flexible and part durable. Contributing to the grip the outsole offers is its multi-directional lugs. These aggressive protrusions cover almost the entirety of the sole to secure the hiker’s footing from every angle. These lugs are also able to maintain a level of traction on urban surfaces, thanks to their low-profile design.
The outsole extends all the way to the shoe’s forefoot zone. This extension conveniently covers the tip of the shoe and acts as a protective toe bumper.
The Salomon X Ultra Prime’s sturdy yet cushy midsole promises a protected hiking experience without compromising comfort. This supportive rubber platform is made of EVA or ethylene-vinyl acetate which makes it both flexible and stress-resistant. It comes engineered with a molded shank which provides arch support and further enhances ground stability.
Salomon’s Advanced Chassis technology has also found its way to the X Ultra Prime. This midsole component doubles down on stability and support, especially around the heel zone.
The shoe has a die-cut Ortholite footbed for extra underfoot comfort. This removable insole is made of an Ortholite-exclusive polyurethane formula from which the insole owes its ability to withstand stress and keep its form even after multiple and prolonged use.
Salomon’s product, the X Ultra Prime promotes agility with its ultra-lightweight mesh upper. This breathable, mesh coverage has a synthetic overlay stitched across its sides which protects against abrasion and terrain elements, such as mud and sand. The upper’s interior is also lined with enough padding for foot comfort.
The X Ultra Prime’s closure system makes use of standard laces to achieve a custom fit. The laces pass through a set of synthetic lace loops at the bottom and a pair of speed hooks at the top. This combination of loops and hooks make lacing up both fast and easy. In addition, there’s a pull tab on the back of the heel for a convenient on and off.
The forefoot zone of the upper has a synthetic covering, acting as a protective toe rand. This toe rand and the shoe's rubber tip—the outsole’s extension—prevent toe injuries and minimize bump impacts. A similar layer can also be seen covering the base of the upper’s heel. This defensive covering provides not only hindfoot protection, but also heel stability.
- The Ortholite footbed is produced with the preservation of the environment in mind as it is made using recycled rubber materials.