Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 10.2ozWomen: 8.8oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 10mmWomen: 10mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
Heel heightMen: 27mmWomen: 27mm
Forefoot heightMen: 17mmWomen: 17mm
WidthMen: normalWomen: normal
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
This YouTube channel has only first look videos - no reviews
Updates to Salomon X-Mission 3
- The Salomon X-Mission 3 renders the wearer engaged when it comes to handling the various types of terrain that are going to serve as challenges during off-road adventures. Made from high quality components and materials, this model ensures the comfort and security of the foot, while ensuring its own longevity and efficacy over time.
- The upper unit of this running shoe utilizes a breathable fabric to keep the foot cool and dry. It covers the dimensions of the foot well, securing it and keeping it free from any accidental shoe removals. An overlay system moves in tandem with the adjustments made to the lacing system, essentially causing the coverage to be as snug and customizable as possible.
- Trail-specific defense mechanisms are added to this shoe. A TPU cap is placed in the forefoot area and it’s meant to protect the toes from being hurt by debris and surfaces. Even the tongue has been optimized to protect the interior from the invasion of tiny rocks and other small objects.
- A full-length foam unit serves as the main cushioning system of the Salomon X-Mission 3. Made from a responsive and durable compound, it ensures the comfort of the foot while taking each step. An anti-microbial coating has been added to the sock liner, which helps when it comes to maintaining a clean and healthy interior.
- Abrasion-resistant rubber is placed in the outsole unit. It’s able to shield the rest of the sole unit from wear and tear, thus keeping the shoe functional even after many uses. The outsole is also capable of holding onto wet ground, which makes it great for those who want to tackle muddy or slippery paths.
Salomon X-Mission 3 size and fit
The Salomon X-Mission 3 has a standard running shoe length. It comes in sizes that follow the measurements to which men and women are most acclimated. The available width is medium, so it accommodates those who have medium sized feet. The semi-curved shape of this shoe allows the natural shape of the foot to acclimate well to it.
The Contagrip HA is a rubber material that’s highly resistant to abrasion. It protects the sole unit from wear and tear, keeping it effective and unfettered from immediate harm. It holds onto many types of surfaces well, because it has gripping lugs that are not too prominent. Roads and trails won’t become issues for this rubber compound.
The Wet Traction Contagrip adds more grip when it comes to surfaces that are slippery or wet. The wearer then becomes more confident when tackling puddles, muddy areas, and other tricky terrain.
The mid-sole unit features injected Ethylene vinyl acetate or EVA as its main cushioning system. It runs the entire length of the shoe, so it is able to provide support for the entirety of the wearer’s foot. It’s durable, as well, thus it is able stay efficient and reliable even after many uses.
Above the main cushioning system is the Ortholite Sock Liner, an add-on that offers some more cushioning to the immediate underfoot. It has anti-microbial and anti-moisture properties, so odor and sweat won’t be able to affect the interior environment.
3D Mesh is a material in the upper that’s durable and breathable. It allows air to easily go in the shoe in order to provide a well-ventilated running experience for the wearer. It also wraps around the foot in a snug manner.
The Sensifit is a stitched-on overlay system that assists the upper unit in wrapping around the foot and securing it. Connected to the lacing system, it makes the coverage more customizable.
The Asymmetrical Quicklace System made from double Kevlar fibers make wearing and removing the shoe much easier. It doesn’t require any tying or raveling; it just needs to be pulled and tucked in a convenient lace pocket.
A Protective TPU Cap is placed in the forefoot section. Its job is to prevent the toes from getting bruised or injured when running.
Two stretch panels called the Sensiflex provide the natural expansion of the foot with support. It also allows the forefoot to flex more naturally, while also maintaining support.