Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 21.9ozWomen: 18.7oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
86 / 100 based on 5 expert reviews
They seem to tick every box.
[T]he Salomon X-Alp Mountain is a great boot if you are looking for a comfortable boot that you could use for scrambling, high altitude alpine hiking and glacier travel and long distance trekking.
A firm favourite among the Active Traveller test team.
Think of the XALP MID as a comfortable hiking boot with hidden super powers and you won’t go far wrong.
[T]hey are a pleasure to wear and very versatile – I like them a lot.
- Salomon uses a mix of technologies in the X Alp MTN GTX to be adaptive in mountaineering and approach conditions. The upper consisting of nubuck and Cordura is reinforced by the rubber toe and heel caps. The mud guard also supplies additional protection.
- Its two-layer compressed EVA midsole renders long-lasting cushioning. The EVA shaped footbed takes care of the support. The removable Ortholite insole also has a multitude of benefits that help maintain the freshness of the in-shoe environment. The innovative 3D Edging Chassis of Salomon is designed to render flexibility while maintaining lateral rigidity.
- The X Alp MTN GTX also uses the Contagrip to provide traction and durability. It combines strategically shaped lugs and rubber compounds of different densities to make every stride secure and stable.
- Providing waterproofness is the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort. This technology also offers breathability and moderate insulation.
The men’s and women's versions of the Salomon X Alp MTN GTX come in regular shoe sizes. Both are offered in standard width. This mountaineering cleat fairly runs true to size. Its to-the-toe-lacing permits smooth adjustment to get the wearer's desired fit. The lace locker also helps in customizing fit while securing the excess laces in place.
The proprietary outsole of Salomon X Alp MTN GTX–Contagrip–utilizes lug geometry and a mix of compounds of different densities to deliver durability and grip. Its large, asymmetrical lugs can grip and stabilize the foot on rocks and other terrains. The two-directional chevrons take care of the traction on uphill and downhill slopes. This outsole also has channels that drain water and mud, promoting grip on wet surfaces.
To provide cushioning and comfort, the X Alp MTN GTX features a compressed EVA in the cleat’s midsole. It is constructed with two layers to deliver protection from rugged trails, cold conditions and weather.
This mountaineering cleat has an EVA shaped footbed. It provides cushioning and anatomically structured support. It also comes with an Ortholite sockliner which permits air circulation in and around the insole. It leaves the in-shoe environment cool and dry together with its moisture-wicking ability. This insole comes with an EVA heel cup to support the heel and add more cushioning. Despite being lightweight, its durability enables it to retain more than 95% of its structure over time. This footbed can also be machine washed without compromising its benefits.
Salomon’s 3D Edging Chassis provides lateral rigidity while maintaining a natural heel-to-toe transition. The striped pattern and interlocking plates deliver flexibility to the user. This construction also allows the pair to tackle challenging and tricky terrains smoothly.
A member of the X Alp family, this mountaineering cleat has a multitude of features that render protection. From its 1.5 mm waterproof nubuck leather and highly wear-resistant Cordura, this pair boasts a quality upper construction.
The Salomon X Alp MTN GTX is constructed with a 1.5 mm rubber heel cap, 2.5 mm rubber toe cap and 1.8 mm rubber mud guard. They work together to deliver extra protection and durability. Likewise, its gusseted tongue keeps debris out. The pull-on strap on the heel helps wearers to adjust the cleat quickly. It has self-locking eyelets that hold the laces in place and allow users to alter the tension on their ankles and forefoot. Its heel foam and EVA protected forefoot add cushioning.
Using the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort membrane, it retains heat through its modest insulation. Adaptive to a wide range of activities, this technology also renders comfort and waterproofing.
- Rated as a B1 cleat, Salomon X Alp MTN GTX is suitable with C1 crampons or flexible strap-on crampons.
- Salomon recommends that after each use, dirt and mud should be removed with a soft, wet brush and clean water. Let it air dry and avoid exposure to extreme heat.