|Base model:||Salomon Speedcross 4|
|Weight:||Men: 11.5oz | Women: 9.9oz|
|Heel to toe drop:||Men: 10mm | Women: 10mm|
|Arch type:||High arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Heel strike|
|Distance:||Daily running | Long distance | Marathon|
|Heel height:||Men: 30mm | Women: 30mm|
|Forefoot height:||Men: 20mm | Women: 20mm|
|Release date:||Sep 2017|
|Type:||Heavy | Big guy|
|Width:||Normal | Normal|
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
90 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
These are very technical shoes and are best suited to some pretty extreme conditions. A trip around the park is not what they’re about - mountains, dirt tracks and mud, however, are.
It’s the right choice for beginners and experienced runners alike. It’s especially suited to runners looking for a neutral, waterproof training shoe for trails and forest paths.
- The Speedcross 4 Nocturne GTX features Salomon’s LT Muscle cushioning which aids in absorbing the force received by the runner during the striking phase of the gait cycle. It also minimally helps in delivering a pleasant underfoot experience.
- Another notable feature of this running shoe is its Wet Traction Contagrip outsole. This outer layer helps enhance the shoe’s grip on surfaces that are wet or slippery, making the runner more confident while running on technical terrain.
- The upper was designed to be waterproof and breathable through the incorporation of the Gore-Tex technology. This thin membrane protects the foot from extreme weather conditions, keeping it dry and comfortable at all times.
- To give the upper a bit of structure and to help with wrapping the foot in place, Sensifit overlays were added. These additions lightly prevent the foot from moving from side to side while the runner is in motion.
- The shoe has been Strobel lasted to improve durability and further enhance the underfoot comfort of the wearer. The Strobel construction is commonly used in athletic footwear because it’s light, and it offers flexibility.
- So runners can easily slip in and out of the shoe quickly, a Quicklace method was added. With one pull, this system produces a secure and customized fit.
The Salomon Speedcross 4 Nocturne GTX comes in standard running shoe lengths. Runners will be able to purchase the shoe in their usual sizes. The same goes for the width. It is available in standard widths: D - Medium for men and B - Medium for women.
Just like in the popular Salomon Speedcross 5, the outsole of the Speedcross 4 Nocturne GTX is equipped with the Wet Traction Contagrip technology, providing superior traction and grab on various surfaces. The same level of grip is also present when the runner is over the terrain that’s soft or wet. The amount of grab is due to the stickiness of the material and the strategic placement of the lugs.
The midsole was formed using an injection technique where liquid EVA is poured into a mold. When the EVA has cooled and solidified, the frame is opened, and the unit pops out. This procedure produces midsoles that are lighter and more responsive.
As a cushioning layer, the LT Muscle or Lightweight Muscle feature was added. It is an EVA cushioning compound that’s meant to absorb the impacting forces received by runners during the landing phase of the running cycle. The impact upon landing becomes less taxing on the joints and muscles. The transition between passing and kicking-off also becomes smoother.
The Ortholite sock liner helps in absorbing foot sweat and moisture, keeping the inside environment clean and free from bacteria. It also complements other features of the shoe that deliver better underfoot comfort.
The Speedcross 4 Nocturne GTX’s upper is made with the Gore-Tex technology. The material is a thin layer of expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) with over 9 billion pores per square inch. Any product made with this becomes waterproof and windproof yet breathable. Runners can expect their foot to be comfortable and protected, even in extreme weather conditions.
To keep debris from getting into the shoe, an Anti-debris Mesh was added to the upper. This layer ensures that minute dirt particles won’t get into the shoe.
Surrounding the base is a Mud Guard. From the name, its primary purpose is to fend off mud and clay from entering the shoe. Stepping into puddles or running over muddy terrain won’t be a problem.
Further preventing tiny particles from entering the shoe, the tongue has been connected to the sides of the upper. This design is called gusseted tongue.
For better foot-wrapping and a more secure fit, Sensifit overlays were added. They have been strategically concentrated on the midfoot to lock it down, delivering minimal stability during runs.
The shoe is equipped with a Quicklace system so runners can easily slip in and out of the shoe. The lacing also makes it more convenient to tighten or loosen the midfoot without having to tie or untie the laces manually.
On top of the tongue is a Lace Pocket which runners can use to keep the extra length of the laces. It fundamentally prevents the strings from flying in different directions while the runner is in motion.
Reflective detailing is added to make sure that this shoe is visible under low-light conditions. It’s a safety measure.
The upper materials are stitched and attached to the midsole. Called a Strobel Last, this construction influences the stiffness and flexibility of the shoe. It also delivers extra durability and better underfoot comfort.