Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 11.5ozWomen: 11.5oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 11mmWomen: 11mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
Heel heightMen: 20mmWomen: 20mm
Forefoot heightMen: 9mmWomen: 9mm
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
84 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
The shoe is waterproof in certain areas, but they’re only rated as water-resistant.
- Racing though the trails and through harsh conditions aren’t any problem for the Salomon Spikecross 3. This running shoe features some of the most reliable technologies that are going to take any runner through the unpredictable paths with ease and comfort. Even water and ice won’t be any challenge to its superior outsole grip and waterproof upper.
- The upper unit fuses the breathable nature of a mesh material that has an open construction with the waterproofing mechanics of the ClimaShield Membrane. This unit makes sure that the foot is dry and cool at all times.
- Responsible cushioning, energy return and impact protection are part of the service provided by the robust mid-sole unit of the Salomon Spikecross 3. The high quality foam doesn’t break down easily, so the platform remains efficient even after many uses.
- Over-pronation is reduced because the mid-foot section of this running shoe is supported and cradled by a high density foam.
- Traction is increased over all types of surfaces because of the durable and aggressive outsole unit. It has gripping lugs that hold onto the ground efficiently. Some metal spikes are placed in the forefoot and rear section to handle snow.
The Spikecross 3 is true to its side. It is available in unisex sizes, so men and women can have a singular measurement scheme. Worthy of note is when getting the correct women’s size, 1.5 size should be subtracted from the men’s size.
The heel, mid-foot and forefoot sections have a medium width, thus accommodating most foot types. The semi curved shape of this shoe follows the natural shape of the human foot.
The outsole unit of this running shoe makes use of the Winder Contagrip. It’s made from durable materials that are able to resist the abrasive nature of the trails. It doesn’t wear off easily and it’s reliable in protecting the rest of the sole unit.
Aggressive gripping lugs are spread across the external surface. It’s designed to face multiple directions, which is important in giving traction over a variety of surface conditions. 5 metal spikes are placed in the forefoot and 4 are located in the rear. They handle softer surfaces such as snow, making sure that the shoe stays efficient in holding onto the ground.
The Ethylene vinyl acetate compound is the one used for this shoe’s full-length foam. It gives the foot responsive cushioning, springiness and shock attenuation. It doesn’t lose structure easily, so it maintains its durable nature, even after many uses.
The SCS or the Salomon Cushioning System runs from the heel to the area near the metatarsals. It adds more cushioning, absorbs impact energy, and returns that energy to the runner during liftoff.
A high density foam lies underneath the mid-foot. It cradles the arch and corrects the rate of pronation, thus keeping the foot in a neutral position throughout the run.
The Open Mesh is an upper fabric that is durable and flexible. Its open construction lets air into the shoe to keep the foot dry and cool.
The ClimaShield is a membrane that covers the main mesh material. Its purpose is to fully protect the shoe and the foot from water invasion. It doesn’t sacrifice the breathable nature of the upper, and it even dries off quickly.
Same as in the popular Salomon Sense Ride 2, the Sensifit security system is located on the medial and lateral areas of the Salomon Spikecross 3. It was made to wrap the foot securely and keep it in place throughout the activity. A Gusseted Tongue protects the foot from small debris that might try to go inside the shoe.
The underfoot platform gets anti-bacterial and anti-moisture protection through the Ortholite Sock Liner technology. It supports the underside of the foot and keeps the inner environment of the shoe clean and healthy.