DiscontinuedUpdate: Salomon S-Lab Sonic 2
Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 7.8ozWomen: 7.8oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 8mmWomen: 8mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
Heel heightMen: 24mmWomen: 24mm
Forefoot heightMen: 16mmWomen: 16mm
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
88 / 100 based on 4 expert reviews
Super smooth and super fast.
A better fit, more flexible, yet still super comfortable on road and trail.
Weighing in at 220grams, the Sonic are a bit heavier than most flat racers from other brands, but don’t be fooled, the comfort and glide of this shoe pack a punch that will leave your opponents in the dust.
But for the average outdoor runner who as to get their daily morning run in before work, you’ll most likely be spoiled by the S-Lab Sonic’s performance.
- The very noticeable change is the upper of the Salomon S-Lab Sonic. From the “speed laces” to the traditional yet retro fabric laces, the lacing system is one of the features modified in this version. The traditional retro laces are thin and light, and its fabric does not absorb water or wetness. They also provide fast lacing and tight closure of laces, which is a perfect match for fast trail running.
- The upper also has a super light yet breathable mesh material all throughout the upper. The single mesh material replaced the lycra material, nylon mesh, and super thin mesh that are present in previous version.
- TPU overlays are also added, covering the toe area and other parts of the upper for more protection and support. With the new mesh upper and overlays, the S Lab Sonic feels light, soft, and protective.
- The heel counter is also changed from more to less in the S Lab Sonic. This design offers a better heel comfort and snug.
- The midsole of this shoe have a different heel and forefoot stack height due to some thickness of cushioning in the heel with about 6mm and 2 mm on the forefoot area.
- On its outsole, only a minimal change is done. Almost all of the Salomon S Lab series have a carbon rubber on the lateral heel, but this feature is lacking in the S Lab sonic, which reduces its durability and protection on heel abrasion.
The S-Lab Sonic is a unisex running shoe available in men’s size. It is true to its size. The fit is enhanced with a snug fit and comfortable toe box and forefoot area fit for narrow to medium, medium to low volume mid-foot, and narrow to medium heel area. Women should buy at least 1.5 size smaller than the actual size to get the right size.
Similar to the well known Salomon Sense Ride 2, the Premium High Abrasion Contragrip rubber outsole is utilized in the S Lab Sonic. This is the type of rubber that offers high traction and grip for a wide range of trail and ultra-trail running.
Salomon utilized the EnergyCell + foam material, which is lightweight and long lasting cushioning foam. It is also great in providing excellent rebounds.
The Energy Cell, which is also featured in the shoe's latest version, the S Lab Sonic 2 is also placed on the midsole, is for shock attenuation. It is designed to provide softer landing and better take off.
Added to that is the ProFeel Film, which is a thin and lightweight TPU film placed in the midsole. It provides additional underfoot protection without reducing the ground feel.
The open mesh material is utilized in the upper of the Salomon S-Lab Sonic. This is a lightweight, breathable, and quick drying upper material that covers the entire upper. Protecting the mesh is the synthetic overlays and the toe cap of synthetic material. For a secure wrap and fit, Salomon added the Sensifit overlays to the upper, which provides the protection as well. For the inner part of the shoe, the Endofit is present, and it provides the sock-like comfort and fit for an enjoyable running experience.