DiscontinuedUpdate: Salewa Raven 3 GTX
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 26.5ozWomen: 23.6oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal, Wide
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
94 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
The Salewa Raven 2 GTX challenges higher-priced boots, but it is not the most supportive or durable and may not suit all general winter walkers.
Well-designed for comfort and performance.
- From a 2.0 mm PU coated leather with Cordura upper, it was changed to a 1.6 mm suede leather. This modification still works with a highly resistant fabric. These materials maintain the flexibility and durability of the boot.
- From its predecessor’s Vibram Mulaz, the current version now has a Vibram WTC sole. The aggressive sole gives surefootedness and traction when tackling challenging terrain.
- Now coined as the 3F system, its improved design still delivers flexibility, ankle support and precise fit. This technology gives a more comfortable ride.
- The Raven 2 GTX is now at 750 grams for men and 670 grams for women. Their previous versions weigh 800 grams and 680 grams, respectively. The weight reduction is due to the improved design and materials used.
- From a high elastic cuff, the new version features the Flex Collar. This improvement enables free movement of the ankles while providing support.
- The Salewa Salewa Raven 3 GTX replaces this model.
The Salewa Raven 2 GTX is an alpine boot for men and women. Men’s sizing ranges from 8 to 14 plus half sizes until 12.5 and the women’s version is offered from 5 to 11 with half sizes until 10.5. It runs fairly true to size. Its lacing system reaches the toe area to allow a snugger fit. The 3D lacing system makes a more customized fit possible. It divides the lacing system into three sections (forefoot, midfoot and cuff). Likewise, it can be customized based on users’ desired comfort and level of performance. The Climbing Lacing extension towards the toes grants full fit customization for better delivery on difficult terrains.
In collaboration with Vibram and Michelin, the outsole of the Raven 2 GTX features the Vibram WrapThread Combi (WTC) sole. It keeps a low-profile look while having aggressive treads. This sole provides enough traction and surefootedness—the ability to tackle rough and challenging terrain in a safe manner. It also has a crampon connection in the heel area.
As part of Salewa’s Alpine Fit 100% blister-free guarantee, the Raven 2 GTX has the Multi Fit Footbed Plus (MFF+). It has two interchangeable layers to accommodate a range of foot shapes and sizes.
The Bilight midsole offers long-lasting cushioning. Its design and properties deliver optimum shock absorption even on the most challenging terrain. The midsole also includes a component made of nylon with 27% fiberglass.
Cleansport NXT is the anti-microbial treatment applied to the mountaineering boot. This innovative technology is 100% natural and safe for consumers and the environment. It keeps the foot odor-free and fresh during and after activities.
The Salewa Raven 2 GTX upper is a combination of 1.6 mm suede leather and wear-resistant Microfiber. These materials make it durable and flexible. It is strengthened by the 360-degree full rubber rand which wraps the mountaineering boot. The rand also serves as protection against screes.
The patented 3F system of Salewa is incorporated in the Raven 2 GTX. It pulls the instep, heel and sole together. Moreover, it takes care of flexibility, support and precise fit. It avoids unnecessary movements, eliminating abrasions and hot spots.
To facilitate ease in the arch area, Raven 2 GTX boasts of its overlapping tongue design. It provides optimal comfort and wraps on the foot without compromising movement.
The Flex Collar enables smooth rotation of the ankles during locomotion and when traversing downhill trails. Its curved shape does not inhibit the plantar flexion of the foot, thus avoiding fatigue and increasing comfort.
The Gore-Tex Performance Comfort membrane in this boot ensures waterproofness and breathability. It inhibits water from seeping in while allowing moisture inside to escape. This Gore-Tex variant is designed for moderate weather conditions of the outdoors.