Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
90 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
I highly recommend the Salewa Crow GTX.
A good value boot that doesn’t break the bank. Fantastic as a pair of all-round summer/mild winter boot.
These boots represent good value for money. They lasted well during a month of intense use and forced me to reconsider my old prejudices.
- The Crow GTX is equipped with technologies to deliver Salewa’s 100% blister-free guarantee. It has the 3F system for support, the Climbing Lacing for a secure, personalized fit and the Flex Collar for comfort during descents.
- The 3S Combi System enables this boot to be compatible with semi-automatic crampons. In addition, it has a stiff nylon and fiberglass insole for support.
- Providing a grippy and durable outsole is the Vibram New Mulaz. It is ideal for a wide range of mountaineering conditions.
- The Gore-Tex Performance Comfort used in this boot takes care of the waterproofing and breathability. The freshness of the in-shoe environment is maintained by the Cleansport NXT.
The Crow GTX from Salewa has the Climbing Lacing system which offers accurate adjustment thru its to-the-toe lacing. It allows customization of fit to give users a more supportive and enhanced performance when tackling various terrain types.
The Salewa Crow GTX features the Vibram New Mulaz. Its aggressive, multi-directional lugs are self-cleaning. They also provide traction and sensitivity to ground conditions. This outsole is ideal for a majority of mountaineering conditions.
Using an EVA midsole, Salewa’s Crow GTX provides comfort and cushioning to its users. EVA foams are also known to be wear-resistant.
The 3S Combi System enables optimal performance on terrains. It has TPU inserts that are compatible with crampons. The insole, which is a combination of nylon and 27% fiberglass, renders support and flexibility.
Using the Cleansport NXT, the Crow GTX is able to keep a fresh, in-shoe environment. This technology works strictly on a biological level, eliminating odor-causing enzymes. The process is 100% natural and safe.
Salewa’s Crow GTX upper has 1.6 mm suede leather and water-resistant fabric for its upper. This construction gives the boot its flexibility. The 360-degree full rubber rand that overlays the boot reinforces its durability.
The Crow GTX's Flex Collar increases the ankle’s rear range of motion. It promotes comfort during descents while its curved shape design allows plantar flexion of the foot. When the natural movement of the ankles are not restrained, foot fatigue is prevented.
The 3F System (Y-shaped string) which connects the instep to the sole and heel brings flexibility and stability to the user. It also locks the heel in place, thus preventing heel slippage. A secure lockdown of the heel prevents it from lifting and helps avoid having blisters. The three-way connection ensures comfort and foot control.
The moderately insulated Gore-Tex Performance Comfort permits breathability, waterproofness and comfort. It works well on a variety of outdoor conditions. It prevents water from seeping in and allows moisture inside to escape.
- The Salewa Crow GTX can be resoled.
- This mountaineering boot is compatible with hybrid or strap-on crampons. It has a B2 rating which is optimized for use with C2 crampons.
- Salewa recommends this footgear for mountaineering in the summer on typical alpine terrain as well as for alpine trekking.