For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 19.6ozWomen: 16.6oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
86 / 100 based on 4 expert reviews
We almost made these boots our top pick because of all those features, but multiple testers experienced heel rubbing.
Any kind of backpacking you'd want to do, this is the key.
The boots were light, well fitting, water proof and stable.
These boots are great for hikes through non-technical terrain with mild weight loads in warmer conditions and can adapt to slick or dry terrain.
- From a 1.8 mm full suede upper and Kevlar rands, the updated version now has a 1.6 - 1.8 mm suede, PU leather rand and stretch fabric. This combination delivers more flexibility and durability. The PU coated leather rand acts as a protective edging to add strength to the boot.
- The improved design of the Alp Trainer Mid GTX brought about a decrease in weight. Its predecessor weighs 590 g for men and 500 g for women. The updated version is now lighter.
- The removable Multi Fit Footbed (MFF) and EVA foam with PUR heel shock absorber comprise the midsole of the updated footwear. These materials are mainly responsible for the provision of support and cushioning to the users.
- The Salewa Alp Trainer Mid GTX uses a Vibram Hike Approach outsole. It is designed with the necessary traction, flexibility and durability for tackling various terrains.
- The 3F system, commonly referred as the Salewa “Y” adds rigidity to the boot without adding too much weight. It uses a steel wire which holds the heel in place and guarantees a 100% blister-free experience.
- This pair also uses the Gore-Tex Extended Comfort for breathability and waterproofness. The Cleansport NXT feature maintains the freshness of the foot and keeps it odor-free during activities.
The Alp Trainer Mid GTX men’s version is offered from 8 to 14. Women’s variant ranges from 5 to 11. The boot fairly runs true to size. It comes in standard width. The Climbing Lacing extends to the toes for a customized fit. It is one of the features in the integrated patented technologies of Salewa’s 100% blister free guarantee.
The Salewa Alp Trainer Mid GTX uses Vibram Hike Approach sole. It has aggressive lugs engineered for hiking on and off the trail. It gives the boot durability and flexibility. Flexible soles are lightweight and provide comfort when tackling a variety of terrain.
The midsole of the Alp Trainer Mid GTX is a lightweight EVA foam combined with a PUR heel shock absorber. It takes care of the cushioning and safety against impacts when taking on challenging grounds.
This boot has Multi Fit Footbed (MFF) which is a part of Salewa’s 100% blister free guarantee. This footbed permits an individualized fit. The product comes with a yellow layer which can be placed to accommodate a medium-width foot. If the user has a wide foot, then there's no need to use the yellow insert.
To maintain an odor-free, in-shoe environment, Salewa has incorporated the Cleansport NXT to this boot. This technology is 100% natural and works by destroying the odor-causing bacteria stimulated by sweat during activities.
The upper of the Salewa Alp Trainer Mid GTX is made from a combination of a 1.6 mm - 1.8 mm suede and stretch fabric. It is reinforced with a PU coated leather rand that runs around the boot. It makes the pair flexible and durable.
The Gore-Tex Extended Comfort is a waterproof lining that maintains breathability through its non-insulated construction. This membrane is designed for moderate to warm conditions and activities with high levels of perspiration.
The proprietary 3F support system combines flexibility, ankle support and precise fit in the Alp Trainer Mid GTX. It provides a secure lockdown of the feet to avoid blisters and hot spots. Likewise, the pull loop on the heel permits smooth on and off.
- The Salewa Alp Trainer Mid GTX received the Backpacker Magazines’ 2011 Editors’ Choice award. This recognition is given annually to outstanding innovations in the outdoor industry.
- Men’s Journal magazine also recognized the Alp Trainer Mid GTX as one of the most innovative products. It was included in their Gear of the Year 2011 product list.
- The National Geographic acknowledged this boot as one of the 28 Gear of the Year 2011 must-have products.