$100 $40 Save 60%
Any color$65 $30 Save 54%
$80 $25 Save 69%
$80 $19 Save 76%
Any color$65 $51 Save 22%
$70 $28 Save 60%
Any color$90 $30 Save 67%
$120 $92 Save 23%
$150 $90 Save 40%
$120 $30 Save 75%
$75 $51 Save 32%
$120 $40 Save 67%
Any color$100 $20 Save 80%
$70 $58 Save 17%
Any color$130 $78 Save 40%
Any color$100 $60 Save 40%
Any color$70 $32 Save 54%
Any color$90 $30 Save 67%
$110 $90 Save 18%
Any color$100 $20 Save 80%
Any color$200 $30 Save 85%
Any color$100 $30 Save 70%
$85 $55 Save 35%
$605 $560 Save 7%
$90 $80 Save 11%
$90 $35 Save 61%
Any color$95 $40 Save 58%
Any color$100 $27 Save 73%
Training-inspired sneakers not only focus on physical aspect but also on functionality. Most often than not, training-inspired sneakers are stylishly designed to meet the fashion needs of the generation as well as provides comfort for a variety of activities such as long walks and gym workouts, among others.
Currently, several brands like Puma, Adidas, Nike, Jordan, DC, Asics, and Reebok have already released a variety of training-inspired sneakers that will suit the fashion taste and needs of men and women of all ages. From ritzy to affordable shoes, they are available in different colorways like gold, white, pink, black, grey, brown, purple and red, among others.
Some of the best training sneakers according to their ankle collar height:
Adidas Gazelle is among the best training sneakers that became popular in the 1970s. A crowd’s favorite, it was the first Adidas sneaker that came out with a suede upper. Originally it was released in blue and red colorways which both sported white 3-Stripes on the sides. Among its features are:
- It is among the training-inspired sneakers that have a pigskin leather upper.
- It has the debossed Trefoil logo on the tongue as well as on the heel tab.
- It has a synthetic lining for added comfort.
- It has a rubber outsole for excellent traction.
Nike Air Trainer 1 was globally introduced in 1987. Among the best training sneakers, this high-performance shoe is built with multipurpose abilities. The Tinker Hatfield-designed Air Trainer 1 is intended initially for gym workouts and court games. Some of its features are:
- It has a synthetic leather upper with perforations on the vamp.
- Surrounded by lightweight Phylon material, the Air cushioning unit is installed on the midsole.
- Like other men’s training sneakers, it has a rubber outsole that offers good traction.
Puma Tsugi Netfit is among the men’s and women’s training sneakers that are fused with Japanese and German advancements. This sneaker equips its users against whatever comes their way. Some of its features are:
- It has a midsole that is equipped with Ignite Foam that provides responsive cushioning as well as high-level energy return.
- With knit-sock construction, it has a knitted mesh upper that delivers form-fitting comfort and breathability.
- It is among the best training sneakers that are equipped with the Netfit system that gives customizable fit and lacing.
- It has a rubber outsole that offers optimum grip.
Reebok Workout Plus was originally released in 1987. It is among the brand’s training sneakers with a classic silhouette. Later in 2011, Reebok released a vintage collection which included the Workout Plus from Reebok. As the Workout Plus marked its 25th anniversary in 2012, its silhouette was utilized in creating a collaborative work with the Swedish denim label Cheap Monday, giving the Workout Plus a fresh look. Getting back to basics, below are some of the features why this silhouette is so iconic:
- The upper is made with soft full grain leather material that gives support and comfort.
- It utilizes the EVA foam midsole that provides excellent shock absorption.
- The H-strap detailing offers not only support but an added style.
- It has high abrasion and durable rubber outsole for optimum grip.
Asics Gel Sight is among the best training sneakers that are originally released in 1992 for the Japanese Olympic Team. At first, it was intended to be released only in Japan but later on became global. Taking inspiration from the Bulls event in Spain, the Asics Gel Sight resurrected in 2015. With colorways perfect for summer, this sneaker’s silhouette was also utilized in collaboration with Monkey Time and Overkill. Among the Asics Gel Sight features are:
- It is equipped with the Gel technology wave suspension that provides support and excellent shock absorption.
- It has a large heel stabilizer that delivers a comfortable ride.
- The smooth suede upper has perforations on the vamp, offering foot breathability and comfort.
DC Midway sneaker is one of the men’s training sneakers with a low-top silhouette that offers better ankle mobility. This shoe has a versatile and on-point silhouette that can match a variety of casual outfits. Apart from its on-point design, it also offers performance. Among its features are:
- It has synthetic and mesh uppers with a re-enforced toecap.
- The outsole/midsole is made of EVA material.
- It utilizes Ortholite footbed for supreme cushioning.
Air Jordan Trunner LX OG was introduced in the early 2000s after the unveiling of the Air Jordan 15. Some features from the AJ 15 were borrowed by the Trunner such as mesh material on the toe box and collar areas. The Jordan Trunner LX OG is among the training sneakers that were recalled in 2001. It made its comeback in 2017 with its original colorway Chicago-inspired red, black and white colorway. Among its features are:
- The Jordan Trunner LX OG is among the men’s training sneakers that feature a laceless upper that is made of woven nylon and mesh material.
- A hint of leather and suede is accenting the upper, adding an eye-catching factor to its fashion-forward look.
- It utilizes the Ortholite insole for comfort.
- Like some of the best training sneakers, it features the Air Sole unit on the heel for protection as well as the injected Phylon midsole that offers responsive cushioning.
Jordan Trunner LX High came after the Jordan Trunner LX was released in 2000. With a high-top silhouette, this shoe is among the men’s training sneakers that offer ankle protection and support. It still carries the same style as its predecessor. Some of its features are:
- It is among the laceless training sneakers that have a neoprene upper that not only emits a futuristic vibe but also delivers foot comfort.
- It has pull tabs on the tongue and heel for reinforcement.
- It has a zipper on the collar that allows users to take off and put on the shoe quickly.
- The Phylon midsole offers comfort in every stride.
- The overlays on the midfoot give ideal lockdown and enhanced support.
Jordan Trunner LX High NRG is another high-top version of the Trunner LX in an exclusive colorway released in Japan. The LX and the NRG on the shoe name mean Luxe and Energy respectively. This iteration comes in white, black, grey, gold, royal and light blue colorway which eventually became available in limited numbers to the rest of the world. Among its features are:
- With a plush construction, it has foam between textile layers that give an extra soft feel.
- For foot to quickly take off and put on the shoe, heel tabs are placed on the tongue and heel.
- The strap on the midfoot gives an added support and lockdown.
- It is among the training sneakers that use a zipper system instead of lacing system to secure the foot.
Some of the women's training sneakers:
The Cutout style of the original Gazelle’s silhouette is a certified attention-catcher. With the authentic style, this iteration takes a new look by getting an eye-catching geometric pattern on its upper. Among its features are:
- It has an upper made of laminated dual layer synthetic and nubuck leather.
- It has a synthetic lining.
- The rubber cupsole provides optimum traction.
The minimalist Puma Dare AC is among the women’s training sneakers that were released after the success of Puma Mostro in 2002. With a light construction, this iteration has a strap-hugging mechanism that offers secured lockdown. Among its other features are:
- It has the Soft foam sockliner that provides supreme all-day comfort.
- It has a durable and flexible rubber outsole that offers superior traction.
- The soft mesh upper is accented with an elastic strap that provides comfort and a precise fit.
- The pull tabs on the tongue, as well as the heel, allows the foot to take off and put on the shoe.
Reebok Princess is one of the best training sneakers in women’s sizing that possess a timeless design and offer ultimate comfort. For a heritage style, the Union Jack symbol sits below the laces. Among its features are:
- This iteration has a synthetic leather upper with perforated sidewalls that provides sufficient foot breathability.
- It has a padded foam sockliner with additional cushioning for comfort.
- It utilizes a soft terry lining for efficient moisture absorption.
- The EVA midsole offers lightweight cushioning.
Puma Fierce Varsity Knit is among the best training sneakers in women’s sizing that are perfect for everyday wear. Part of the Rihanna collections, this shoe is both versatile and functional as well as comfortable. Its original silhouette was endorsed by Kylie Jenner on April 1, 2016. Some of its features are:
- Among the training sneakers, this shoe features mesh and Ariaprene bootie construction for foot comfort and breathability.
- It offers medial and lateral support for 360 degrees’ movement.
- The knitted textile upper with caging overlay offers support, stability, and secured lockdown.
- For foot to quickly squeeze onto and off the shoe, tongue and heel pull tabs are installed.
Reebok Freestyle Hi Satin Bow is one of the best training sneakers with a modern and classy silhouette. It has a fun, eye-catching and stylish design that is ideal with sophisticated women. Among its features are:
- Like some other training sneakers in women’s sizing, this shoe flaunts a soft and full grain leather upper that provides comfort and support.
- With a fashionable bow on top, the lacing system offers secured lockdown.
- It utilizes the EVA midsole for shock absorption.
- For added comfort, a padded foam sockliner is installed.
- It has a high abrasion outsole that provides traction over outdoor and indoor surfaces.
Reebok's Gigi Hadid-endorsed Freestyle Hi Nova was launched in June 2018. Based on the classic silhouette of Freestyle but without the iconic straps, this iteration received a modern update with a mid-top profile. Among its features are:
- Instead of straps, this iteration has the three collared puffs on the leather upper, representing the shoe’s rich heritage.
- It has a rubber molded outsole that provides reliable traction on hard natural surfaces.
- It has padded foam sockliner for cushioning and comfort. The foam is removable to accommodate custom orthotics.
- It utilizes the EVA midsole for shock absorption and cushioning.
Reebok Freestyle Hi Metallic is crafted from the Freestyle silhouette which was released in 1982. It is among the best training sneakers in women’s sizing that also attract men because of its stylish design. With a lustrous finish, it strikes an in vogue vibe. Among its features are:
- With a metallic finish, the soft leather upper provides support.
- It has ankle strap closure that gives enhanced support.
- It utilizes the die-cut EVA that offers a lightweight feel as well as cushioning.
- It has a padded foam sockliner that delivers additional comfort.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are training sneakers?
They are versatile footwear that supports a variety of movement like stopping, jumping, breaking, cutting and changing direction quickly.
What are some of the notable collaborations for training-inspired sneakers?
Below are some of the best training sneakers that Adidas released in partnership with some of the celebrities and boutiques:
- Puma Fierce Strap Swan
When Puma tried to reach out to the millennial market, they decided to team up with Kylie Jenner. Included on the Spring/Summer 2017 collection, the Puma Fierce Strap Swan possesses an eye-catching design as well as performance technology. It is among the women’s training sneakers that have an underlying graphic with premium iridescent detailing. Among its features are:
- It has a mesh upper with Ariaprene bootie construction that provides breathability.
- This lightweight shoe utilizes the IMEVA midsole that offers shock absorption.
- The unique wrap upper has a strap closure that gives a supportive fit.
- The full-length flex groove allows fast and multi-directional movement.
- It has a solid rubber outsole pods that ensure traction and full ground contact.
- Adidas Gazelle Super x Alltimers
Adidas collaborated with the NY-based skate shop, Alltimers, to create another functional and fashionable footwear using the Gazelle’s silhouette. Released in 2018, the Adidas Gazelle Super x Alltimers had a sleek and classic design but updated with a modern twist. Among its features are:
- It has a hairy suede upper that emits a distinct style.
- It utilizes the Geoflex outsole tread design that promotes flexibility, exceptional board feel and superior grip.
- It is built with the EVA sockliner.
- Puma Fierce Swan
Puma teamed up with Kylie Jenner and resulted in another innovative footwear, the Fierce Swan from the Jumping Cat. This iteration is a part of the brand’s Spring/Summer 2017 collection. It is one of the best training sneakers in women’s sizing that feature lustrous details inspired by the black swan’s feathers. Inspired by dance movement, the Fierce is designed to withstand rigorous training activities. It is made of durable materials to ensure it’s up for any training challenge. Among its features are:
- With a slip-on bootie construction, this shoe has a lightweight mesh upper for breathability.
- The mesh upper has caging overlays for support, stability and optimal lockdown.
- To reduce friction, an internal flatlock stitching is installed.
- It has pull tabs on the heel and at the tongue for easy on and off the shoe.
- It has a rubber outsole for reliable grip.
What are the differences between training and running sneakers?
- Compared to running shoes, training sneakers are usually heavier.
- Training sneakers have better support at the sides as compared to running shoes.
- When training shoes compared to running sneakers, they have lighter treads.
What are training sneakers good for?
They are good for:
- Strength training
- Agility training
- Outdoor boot camps
- High-intensity gym classes
Can you wear training shoes for walking?
Yes, you can. Training sneakers provide more support than walking shoes for they are built to accommodate a variety of physical requirements. Especially for trail walking, the training sneakers are recommended as they are intended for a multitude of surfaces compared to walking shoes.
Where can I purchase a pair of training-inspired sneakers?
Aside from the brand’s official website, you can also purchase some of the best training sneakers in men’s and women’s sizing from retailer’s sites. You can also buy training sneakers by accessing runrepeat.com.
From the filter keys on the left, you can choose the “training-inspired” sneakers and the brand you prefer, and it will show the list of possible shoes you may want. Once you click the shoe from the list, it will direct you to page content that not only shows the list of retailers where you can buy it from but also a helpful article about the shoe itself which will help you in decision-making when purchasing.
How do I find the right fit and size?
Depending on the brand, your fit and sizing may differ. It is best to use and navigate the respective brand’s sizing chart.
Are training shoes suitable for running?
Yes, they also provide cushioning. However, running shoes offer more support and cushioning.
How can you tell if one needs a new pair of training sneakers?
You can keep an eye on the midsole of the shoe. If you notice like a squashed marshmallow or deep-set wrinkles, then it’s time to purchase a new one.
15 best training sneakers
- Adidas Munchen
- Adidas Montreal 76
- Adidas Munchen Super SPZL
- Fila Disruptor 2 Premium
- Adidas Gazelle Leather
- Adidas Gazelle Super
- Puma TSUGI Jun
- Reebok Workout Plus
- Nike M2K Tekno
- Fila Disruptor 2
- Adidas Gazelle
- Puma Pacer Next Excel
- Puma TSUGI NETFIT
- Puma TSUGI Apex
- Asics Gel Sight
A score from 1 to 100 that summarizes opinions from users and experts. The average CoreScore is 78. More...