Gear up and grab a pair of The North Face hiking shoes in your next outdoor adventure. A brand founded in 1966, The North Face has already grown its popularity in products meant for different outdoor pursuits. Their offerings include outerwear, equipment (tents, sleepings bags, etc.) and footwear, to name a few.
Reasons to love The North Face men’s and women’s hiking shoes
Best The North Face hiking shoes - May 2019
An attribute that outdoor enthusiasts enjoy with The North Face hiking shoes is its lightness. From its upper to the outsole, their product specialists ensure that the materials used will not burden the user’s foot. A few styles wear a woven upper and some are made of leather and synthetic combo.
The North Face carefully selected the technologies incorporated in each of their shoes for hiking to ensure that comfort is maintained. A number of their hiking footwear models employs third-party features, such as the Ortholite footbed for extra cushioning and a Gore-Tex laminate for waterproof and breathable protection. Comfort is optimized through the brand’s in-house construction technique.
A majority of The North Face hiking shoes are designed with a rubber toe cap and a gusseted tongue. These are just a couple of features which will protect you against harsh outdoor obstacles. The brand’s engineers also made sure that the materials used in the upper will be able to withstand such beating without hurting the foot. They also have shoes with a waterproof liner to protect you from wet encounters.
It is quite common to see hiking shoes from The North Face that have leather or synthetic overlays, whether they are in the rear-, mid- or forefoot area. These enhance defenses against rocky roads and sharp-edged trails.
The North Face usually partners with Vibram to create outsoles that will deliver reliable traction on most types of terrain. Whether you are tackling muddy or dry grounds, the features of the sole are sure to give you a secure and stable footing. It also includes varying lug depths to maximize its ground adherence.
Notable technologies used in some of the best hiking shoes from The North Face
If you have been shopping for a new pair of The North Face hiking shoes in the past, you may have encountered this feature a couple of times now. The trademarked Cradle technology is a type of midsole construction which aims to support, cushion and stabilize the foot.
It employs full-length, bi-density EVA which promotes a smooth and fluid gait. Upon heel strike, impact and vibration are minimized through the help of a soft-density foam which dissipates shock. A firm-density EVA component is situated at the midfoot for easy transition and the medial side of the forefoot for a stable and efficient toe-off.
The brand partners with Gore-Tex to create products that are impervious to wet elements yet permeable to perspiration from within. Their liners make TNF hiking shoes suitable for use in a range of outdoor conditions.
The patent-pending Snake Plate technology from The North Face is comprised of a forefoot plate which allows the foot to bend, flex and adapt to the changing terrain. Despite being flexible, it also renders the required rigidity to prevent unwanted twisting of the foot. Its thickness, size and composition depends on the style and build of the TNF shoes for hiking.
This sole unit is comprised of four parts (see below) which work to deliver a stable and comfortable ride.
- XtraFoam Core. This is a patented EVA compound and it functions as the insole of the shoe. It enhances comfort and lessens foot fatigue.
- Perimeter EVA midsole. Made of firm-density EVA, this element is primarily responsible for providing stability and structure to users.
- ESS Snake Plate. This material is placed under the sole and arch of the foot. It protects the sensitive areas of the foot to prevent pain or discomfort.
- Vibram XS Trek outsole. This sturdy rubber outsole will handle a variety of terrain with its multi-lugged pattern.
Care and maintenance of The North Face hiking shoes
The North Face recommends the following tips in extending the life of your hiking shoes.
- Clean your hiking shoes after every use. Stuck mud and dirt can cause material breakdown. Hence, it is advised to remove them after a hike carefully. To facilitate drying, stuff it with newspapers and let it air dry.
- Store your clean shoes in a cool and dry place.
- In weatherproofing your shoes for hiking, use a silicone-based agent. This process will protect your footwear against outdoor elements.
5 best The North Face hiking shoes
- The North Face Ultra Fastpack III Mid GTX
- The North Face Hedgehog Fastpack GTX
- The North Face Ultra Fastpack III GTX
- The North Face Storm III Waterproof
- The North Face Hedgehog Hike II GTX
A score from 1 to 100 that summarizes opinions from users and experts. The average CoreScore is 78. More...