Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Sneakers
Wearing Onitsuka Tiger sneakers will let one experience the Japanese artisanal in terms of craftsmanship, quality, and hard work. The brand carries a prosperous history and extensive experience and the toned-down style which made several followers enjoy its look as well as its overall comfort and durability.
Over the years, the brand has created hundreds of iterations that represent the culture of Japan which have been presented in low-top, mid-top, and high-top in various colorways such as silver, white, black, red, blue, pink, green, gold, purple, and orange.
Among the hundreds of Onitsuka Tiger variations, one shoe that is considered iconic is the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico. Below, we will thoroughly discuss anything and everything about the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico which may help you in deciding which specific pair to get on your next shoe shopping.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 shoes
Originally introduced in 1966 during the Olympic Games in Mexico, this Onitsuka Tiger flagship model was the first to feature the iconic Onitsuka Tiger stripe and used as the pre-trial running shoes for the summer games. It was introduced as the Limber UP Kawa BK but was renamed to a more striking moniker that pays homage to its origin and the year it was unveiled - the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66.
Years passed, the brand has launched several colorways and iterations of this running-inspired model to cater more followers and the wider market. Furthermore, the Mexico 66 gained more popularity when it was seen worn by Bruce Lee in Game of Death movie, and Uma Thurman in the Kill Bill film.
In 2016, to celebrate the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66's 50th anniversary, the brand hired 50 various artists, such as graffiti artists, photographers, cartoonists, nightclub owners, and even fashion enthusiasts to create their renditions of the iconic sneaker silhouette. Their interpretations were displayed at the Peddar on Scott adjacent to the Orchard Road in Singapore.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 specifications:
- Upper: the upper is dressed in full-grain leather, textile, or suede overlaid with suede T-Toe and heel counter to enhance the style and overall protection.
- The branded suede heel flap serves heel pull tab for easy sliding in.
- Midsole: It has cushioned footbed with textile lining and EVA midsole for day-long comfort.
- Outsole: The rubber outsole delivers excellent traction on various surfaces.
What Most People Say about their Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66:
- Most reviewers acclaimed the feather lightness of this model.
- The craftsmanship and materials utilized are of premium grade.
- The rubber outsole of the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 shoes delivers reliable traction and grip.
- The design of the upper of this model is very stylish and versatile for almost any casual affairs.
- The toecap delivers ideal toe protection.
- Many liked the roomy fit which could perfectly fit wearers with narrow and wide feet.
- The comfort of this model is suitable for the all-day strutting along the city pavements.
- Many adored the wide array of colorways presented by the brand.
- This model runs true to size for the majority.
- This affordable kick is offered at a price point of $85.
- Sizes are offered in men's range from 6 to 15 while women can pick from sizes 4.5 to 14 US in medium width.
- The brand launched Mexico 66 Icon Pack that includes upgraded details such as metallic foil on the side logo and the Mexico 66 logo printed on the fixed sockliner.
- Some of the most remarkable colorways available are the White-Blue, Yellow-Black, White-White, Black-White, Birch-Indian.
Budget-friendly Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 models that have a price range below $100:
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Paraty
This model stayed authentic to its ancestor creating a retro look with modernized details for the current market. The brand removed the laces and added contrasting details on the heel for slip-on design making this pair easy to wear and remove.
The comfortable slip-on Paraty variation is made of canvas upper and foldable heel region for the clog-like appeal. Meanwhile, the canvas lining and the cushioned EVA insole delivers day-long comfort.
- Price presented at the affordable $70.
- This unisex sneaker is offered in men's range from 5 to 14 US in medium width.
- Striking colorways are the Natural/Navy, Glacier Grey/White, and Acid Yellow.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Slip-On
The slip-on model of the Mexico 66 displays the iconic elements of the Mexico 66 silhouette - lightweight, low-top, and casually cool but revamped with a laceless design for easy to slip-on appeal. This shoe effortlessly offers stylish casual sneaker that can seamlessly match dress up or down ensembles.
- This budget-friendly kick is presented at $85.
- This model is offered in men's sizes from 4 to 14 and women's sizes from 5.5 to 15.5 US in medium width.
- Few notable colors are the Glacier Gray, Taupe, Mauve, Light Smoke Blue, Moon Rock, White with Turkish Blue, and Cherry Tomato.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Delegation Light
This summer-ready kick uses breathable, lightweight fabric with elastic laces around the collar down to the heel that is secured with adjustable toggle for easy on and off. Meanwhile, the soft textile lining with cushioned footbed delivers comfort for the entire day use.
Aside from the elastic toggle fastening system, this model has the native jute material that wraps the midsole for an added summery vibe.
- This wallet-friendly kick has a price range of $100.
- Offered in men's range from 6.5 to 12 while the women's Onitsuka Tiger Mexico sneakers have a size range of 8 to 13.5.
- Few of the most striking colors are the Black, Classic Red, Cream, and Dark Blue.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Mid Runner
Formerly not part of the Onitsuka Tiger's catalog, this model displays mid-cut profile to aims to deliver ample support on the ankle suitable for the long jump, triple jump, and the pole vault events. The upper is made of synthetic material seated atop the durable rubber outsole secured by the traditional lace-up closure.
- The brand offers this at $90.
- This unisex pair is offered in men's sizing from 4 to 13 US in medium width.
- Few notable colorways presented are the White-Dahne and the Oatmeal-Portroyal.
Average Priced Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 sneakers that are found between the range $101-$150:
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 SD
This Superior Deluxe variety of the classic Mexico 66 was unveiled in 2002 in commemoration to the 100th anniversary of the brand's founder Kihachiro Onitsuka. This kick highlights the updated makeover while keeping the signature details. The fuzeGEL technology inserted on the midsole and the Ortholite insole delivers unmatched comfort and support.
- The brand presented this at $130.
- This unisex pair is available in men's sizing from 5 to 24 US in medium width.
- Some of the notable colorways are the Tai Chi Yellow-Black, Cream-Peacoat, and the Cream-Green.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Soft Marty
As part of the eco-concept collection, this model is made of materials considered environmental-friendly, such as chrome-free leather upper processed without utilizing migratory metals during the tanning stage; thus creating a safe and biodegradable leather that reduces the harm on humans.
- Price is at $150.
- One colorway of this model is the Birch.
- Considered unisex, this iteration is offered in men's sizing from 6 to 14 US in medium width.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 VIN
This sneaker is made of a soft suede upper with leather overlay to give that real retro look of this Mexico shoe. To finish the entire look, the brand kept the classic Onitsuka Tiger stripes with heel-cross reinforcement to enhance the overall stability.
- The price point is at $130.
- This men's Onitsuka Tiger Mexico sneakers are considered unisex and presented in men's sizing from 3 to 13.
- Colors offered are the Birch-Carbon, Coffee-Feather Grey, Mid Grey-Peacoat, Dark Forest-Feather Grey.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 x Disney
In 2018, Disney and Onitsuka Tiger teamed up to come up with a version of the Mexico 66 that pays tribute to the 90 years of Mickey and Minnie. This model was embellished with elements aimed to captivate the hearts of the most admired couple of the Disney. This low-top kick was inserted with a cozy interior and robust features with a price range that is considered reasonable by many reviewers.
- Price range is at $120.
- Although considered unisex, this men's Onitsuka Tiger Mexico shoes are offered in men's sizing from 4 to 14 US. Ladies can also enjoy this sneaker by purchasing 1.5 sizes down their regular shoe size.
- Colorways available are Red, Black, and White.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Delegation
For the brand's 50th anniversary, Onitsuka Tiger unearthed the Mexico Delegation model that highpoints its retro look fused with the overall lightness and cozy fit suitable for the modern day sneaker market. This recreation of classic Mexico 66 is made of premium suede upper, waxed laces, and the notable crepe textured sole.
- Price is at $110.
- This kick is a unisex pair presented in men's sizing from 7.5 to 13 US in medium width.
- Some of the remarkable colorways are the Black, Taos Taupe, Stone Grey-Prune, Feather Grey, and Peacoat-Eggplant.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Delegation Shibori
Part of the Shibori pack, this model tweaked few details on classic Mexico 66 and embedded with the details that show the traditional Japanese art called the Dyeing technique. This model stayed authentic to the level of comfort, quality, and flexibility is seen on the Mexico Delegation collection.
- Price is at $130.
- This unisex kick is offered in men's sizing from 4 to 11.5 US in medium width.
- This model is available in Indigo Blue colorway.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Delegation x Disney
Offered in multiple colorways, this model inspired by the renowned Mini Mouse and incorporated a striking detail on the leather upper injected with super cozy footbed, durable outsole, and texturized midsole. This model highlights its leather upper with Minnie Mouse's skirt around the lacing system for that added spunk. Also, the brand added the "Minnie" typescript on the side and the iconic "Minnie Bow" on the heel tab.
- Price is offered at $130.
- This unisex pair is available in men's sizing from 3 to 13 US in medium width.
- Colors offered are the Classic Red, Black, and White.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 iterations found above the $151 price range:
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Deluxe
This deluxe variation is embellished with metallic upper with the iconic Mexico 66 details. This model is a part of the "Nippon Made" collection that displays a flashy upper that will surely upgrade any casual attire into a luxurious and fashionable look.
The brand described that this model was constructed in a labor-intensive process. Everything is hand-crafted from stitching to dying, giving intense attention to details that represent Japan's artisanal quality.
- This pricey kick is offered at $230.
- This unisex pair is presented in men's range from 6.5 to 13 US in medium width.
- The brand offers this in Silver-Navy colorway.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 SD MR
The Super Deluxe edition features premium leather upper finished off with noticeable details and lightweight midsole for unmatched comfort and support. The remarkable GeckoTrac outsole coupled with the Ortholite sockliner maximizes the overall comfort for the entire day's use.
- This expensive sneaker is at $160.
- The sizes of this unisex pair are available in men from 6 to 14 US in medium width.
- Colorways offered are the Black, Cream-Peacoat, and Peacoat-Birch.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Mid Runner DX
This mid-top sneaker is molded from the running kick used by the Japanese team in 1964 Olympics game, upgraded for the modern lifestyle market. This deluxe version has been revamped into various versions such as the one designed by Andrea Pompilio using the Kobe Beef leather.
- This high-priced sneaker is offered at $250.
- Men have sizes 5.5 to 15 while women have sizes 4 to 14 US in medium width.
- One colorway offered is the Black-Gold combination.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Where can I buy Onitsuka Tiger Mexico?
Because of its popularity, the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico is widely available in most of the official stores and online website of the brand. Many retailers also sell this iteration on their physical stores and online shops. Some of the partner retailers of the Onitsuka Tiger are the 6pm, Zappos, eBay, Amazon, END, and many other popular online shops.
Meanwhile, to give you an easier shopping life, the RunRepeat team have collated thousands of Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 reviews all over the internet and summarized them. Our team aims to make your life easier by ranking the Corescore of these iterations, which may help you in deciding which iteration will fit your preference.
Are Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 suitable for athletic activities?
Although initially constructed as a training football shoe, the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 sneakers are best when worn as casual footwear. This model was just inserted with basic cushioning and support which won't give you much protection in doing strenuous sports activities.
What am I supposed to do with the heel flap of the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66?
Aside from style and branding, the heel flaps present on the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 models work as a pull tab for smooth sliding on especially on the slip-on iterations.
What is the price range of Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66?
Onitsuka tiger offers its Mexico 66 iteration in as low as $70 to as high as $250. The cheapest available iteration is the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Paraty that is presented at $70 while the most expensive is the Deluxe Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Mid Runner DX available at whopping $250.
Is Onitsuka Tiger same with the Asics brand?
These model are different. The founder of Onitsuka formed the brand in 1949 as he believes that being physically fit and active is the resolution for the post-war mental and physical health conditions. Thus he thought of providing the right footwear for these activities.
In 1972, three brands united to form a single company called the ASICS – the acronym of the Latin phrase 'Anima Sana in Corpore Sano' which means 'A Sound Mind in a Sound Body.'
Currently, Onitsuka Tiger is still under ASICS but are still produced internationally under its label. The Onitsuka Tiger label releases more mature and retro designs compared to the ASICS designs to cater entirely different audience.
Are Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 comfortable?
Since this model was unchanged, generally speaking, the Mexico 66 provides retro comfort as well. It delivers just enough comfort for the whole day use; however, some users complained of the thin sole which can be resolved by inserting their preferred insoles. Meanwhile, the Mexico 66 SD was described to feature better cushioning compared to the other Mexico 66 variations.
If you are looking for Onitsuka Tiger kicks that features thicker sole, you may try their other models such as Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81, Onitsuka Tiger MHS CL, the Onitsuka Tiger Fabre Nippon Lo, and the Onitsuka Tiger Colesne RS.
How to spot fake Onitsuka Tiger sneakers?
Because of its popularity, Onitsuka Tiger sneakers are widely forged to serve the buyers looking for the stylish sneakers but offered at a cheaper price. As these kicks are imitated, these mockups are also made of cheap materials and knock-off craftsmanship which will surely not last long.
To avoid this, it is best to buy your shoes from the reliable online and physical shoe stores. Also, here are few reminders on how to spot fake from the authentic models:
- Check the official online or physical stores of the Onitsuka Tiger if the shoe you are itching to buy is actual models of the brand.
- Compare the prices. If the cost is way too low, it is likely to be a counterfeit pair.
- Check carefully the stitching and the materials used on the sneaker. The stitching should be well crafted, and the elements are of premium quality.
- The extended rubber toecap of the Mexico 66 should feel like rubber and fused into the upper material and not extended out.
Can you seriously train in Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66?
It is not recommended to do any real training using the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 kicks as these models do not have enough cushioning, they are not form-fitting fit, do not provide ample breathability, and the sole has unreliable durability. However, if you happen to be already wearing one, you may still do some minor sports activities, and it is not the worst in the world.
Where are Onitsuka Tiger shoes made?
The Onitsuka Tiger shoes are manufactured in Vietnam and Indonesia and produce shoes that are for Asian distribution. Meanwhile, the limited edition pieces and the high-end products that belong to the Nippon Made collection are hand-made in Japan only.
What is the meaning of Onitsuka Tiger?
Onitsuka Tiger got its name from its founder, a 32-year old military officer named Kihachiro Onitsuka. He intended to provide suitable footwear for physical activities to improve the self-esteem of the youth post-war.
How to style the Mexico 66 sneakers from Onitsuka Tiger?
The simplicity of the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico shoes for men's and women's allows it to be a smart addition to any sneaker fan's shoe rotation. This model flawlessly fused the retro appeal and the contemporary style which is the leading look in today's trending ensembles.
Our team gathered few suggestions on how to strut your Mexico 66s along the city streets in style. Here are some of our best recommendations:
Pairing your clean Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 with essential pieces such as a plain white t-shirt and a pair of blue denim jeans will give you a classic ensemble that works well any time of the day.
- For a more on-trend look, you may add polo top over your plain tees and wear bright skinny jeans for a more eye-catching look.
- Rolled-Up trousers or cuffed jeans that hugs your ankle allows a better plain view of the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico sneakers.
- A pair of light-colored shorts paired with colored tees and accessorized with the Keffiyeh and a trucker cap will give its wearers a total hipster attire.
- Meanwhile, women's Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 can be styled with shift dresses or mini skirts that can give a laidback vibe for the summer months.
- For an authentic sporty appeal, wearers may pair this model with a unicolored tracksuit or Dri-fit ensemble for that gym-ready look.
5 best Onitsuka Tiger Mexico sneakers
- Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66
- Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Slip-On
- Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Delegation
- Onitsuka Tiger Mexico Delegation x Disney
- Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 SD
A score from 1 to 100 that summarizes opinions from users and experts. The average CoreScore is 78. More...