A look into the annals of history would prove that football is a sport connected to royalty. While football cleats have come a long way from where it began, it’s good to know how the very first pair originated from a 1500s shoemaker, Cornelius Johnson. The artisan designed the cleats for the English King, Henry VIII.
While the very first collared cleat originated in the 1500s which were made for a King, no less. The appreciation for collared shoes has not been that prevalent until the swoosh reinvented the look to suit a much more modern audience. Nike high top football boots have been the trendsetter for collars in football boots in more recent years.
Notable technologies in Nike high top football boots
There are several outstanding technologies incorporated into Nike high top football boots. Here are some of the most notable examples:
Hearing out runners’ adamant requests for a breathable, sock-like shoe proved to be a good move for the swoosh. The company’s answer to this plea is Flyknit. The creation of this knit-based material not only prompted a revolution in running shoes but has been proven to be useful in soccer shoes especially for Nike high top football boots. Since the technology's release in 2012, this element has been ubiquitous throughout Nike’s several football boot collections.
Nike high top football boots with this type of upper technology include Nike Hypervenom III Elite Dynamic Fit FG, Nike Mercurial Vapor 360 Elite FG, Nike Hypervenom III Elite Dynamic Fit AG-PRO Just Do It AG, and Nike Vapor Untouchable 3 Elite.
Usually paired with Nike’s Flyknit technology, the 360° fit is brought about by the knit material itself. It wraps the player’s foot and allows for a more specific fit which adapts to the wearer’s foot shape. This technology has been integrated into several of Nike high top football boot models which include Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite, Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite AG-PRO, Nike Mercurial Superfly VI Pro FG, and Nike Hypervenom III Elite DF FG.
Dynamic Fit Collar
The comeback of Nike’s high top football boots was introduced through the brand’s Dynamic fit collar. While this feature is not for everyone, this technology has certainly pushed the envelope in terms of football boot construction. Making the collar new again, it was reintroduced into the market in 2015 through Nike’s Magista Obra.
This technology has been engineered to wrap the player’s foot, creating a secure fit while adding support. Other Nike high top football boots with this technology are the Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite, and Superfly 360 Elite AG-PRO.
An innovation developed to bring adaptive fit is Flywire. These cables are internally integrated into the shoe’s upper and functions like a suspension bridge. It is also connected to the outsole for durability. This set up promotes additional support without the extra weight for the wearer. To maintain durability, the cables are connected to the shoe’s outsole. Nike high top football boots with this technology include Nike Hypervenom Phantom III Elite DF FG football shoe.
Lightweight, grippy and well-cushioned is what Nike’s Artificial-Grass Plate is meant to be. Combining a variety of low-profile and secondary studs in the soleplate for optimal traction, this allows for an even distribution of pressure along the player’s foot. Support is also ensured through hollow studs integrated into the soleplate while it evens out pressure distribution throughout the player’s foot. Additionally, rapid transitions in the movement are aided by an extra flex groove.
Nike high top football boots with this soleplate include the Nike Hypervenom III Elite Dynamic Fit AG-PRO, and the Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite AG-PRO.
A game changer when it comes to Nike’s soleplate technology is Anti-clog traction. Allowing players speed without the concern of being bogged down because of a heavily soiled soleplate is what this technology is made for. The technology works by integrating an adaptive polymer which yields to water when exposed to it.
Nike high top football boots with this type of technology include Nike Tiempo Legend VII Elite Anti-Clog Traction SG-PRO, Nike Hypervenom Phantom III Elite Dynamic Fit Anti-Clog SG-PRO, and Nike Hypervenom Phantom II SG-Pro Anti Clog.
Notable Nike high top football boots
It seems that the swoosh has been doing things right for decades as they stayed on top of their game, maintaining relevance until today. Over the years, the company was able to develop several silos that cater to a variety of players. Here are some of the brand’s notable collections and the remarkable Nike high top football boot models included in each.
- Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite - Described as creating the perfect fit for players, the Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite is infused with several innovations that are engineered for a better ball touch and feel. This Nike high top football boot has a 360° fit which usually goes hand in hand with the brand’s Flyknit material. A textured feel in the upper is also apparent, this allows for a better ball grip. The collar is Dynamic fit which brings security to the shoe’s fit.
- Nike HypervenomX Phantom III Academy Dynamic Fit Turf - The Nike HypervenomX Phantom III Academy DF Turf brings a modern and sophisticated look to Nike high top football boots. A combination of textile and synthetic upper wraps the player’s foot, bringing a snug, comfortable fit. The Dynamic fit collar also aids in providing additional support while maintaining stability. A wider strike zone is also made available with the asymmetrical lacing system integrated into the boot’s construction. The rubber outsole on this football boot ensures traction on turf courts.
- Nike Hypervenom Phantom III Academy Dynamic Fit Firm Ground - This elegant-looking Nike high top football boot is one to look out for. Not only is the Nike Hypervenom Phantom III Academy DF FG stunning, but it also has the right technologies to back its performance on the pitch. The textured upper brings an improved touch on the ball while lightweight cables integrated into the area brings additional support. To top this off is a Dynamic Fit collar which aids support, as well. The strike zone is also made wider with the use of an asymmetrical lacing system.
- Nike Hypervenom Phantom III Elite Dynamic Fit Anti-Clog - This Mercurial Nike high top football boots sold out within a couple of hours of being released on the company’s website. And it’s easy to point out the reason why. The Hypervenom Phantom III Elite DF Anti-Clog not only is connected to the legendary player, Cristiano Ronaldo, it also has the right goods to back it up in terms of aesthetics and innovations. The colorway on the Flyknit upper, for one, oozes class and edginess with a combination of a white, gold, gray, and black color palette. The Dynamic fit collar is also a feature that ensures support for the player’s foot.
- Nike Hypervenom Phantom 3 Elite Dynamic Fit - This Nike high top football boot is known to be lightweight, creating excellent conditions for speed. Playing on wet courts is also not a problem as it has the ACC technology which ensures ball grip for any weather condition. Added support is brought about by flywire cables incorporated into the Hypervenom Phantom 3 Elite DF, as well.
In addition to this seemingly full roster of technologies is this Nike high top football boot’s Dynamic fit collar. The collar is meant to create a more stable boot by locking the foot down and creating additional support.
- Nike Magista Obra II Elite Dynamic Fit FG - Featuring a more anatomically precise collar, this pair of Nike high top football boot sports a full Flyknit construction which delivers a snug fit for wearers. The Dynamic Fit collar also provides support and creates a sock-like, as-one feel for players. The ACC, furthermore, affords ball grip no matter the weather condition. The Nike Magista Obra II Elite DF FG features a straightforward aesthetic in a white, light crimson, and metallic cool grey colorway.
Limited/ Special Edition Nike high top football boot releases
It’s almost a competition among the big brands when it comes to releasing limited edition or special edition pieces. Creativity goes free rein especially when collaborations take place, bringing a fresh and unique look for every release. This is the case for limited or special edition Nike high top football boots. The brand’s collection of cleats is nothing to be taken lightly, much less the cleats that are part of their special edition releases.
Here are some of the most notable limited/ special edition launches for Nike high top football boots:
Nike Mercurial Superfly 6 Elite Kim Jones
Emphasizing the ‘limited’ in limited edition is this Nike high top football boot model. A collaboration between the fashion designer Kim Jones and the swoosh resulted in this glaringly fashion-forward football boot. This model was only available to be bought in Paris at Nike’s Champs Elysees store. For fans not in Paris but want to get a hold of a pair, Nike made purchasing available during halftime of the Paris Saint-Germain vs. Real Madrid match.
For the look, the designer shared her experience growing up in Africa and her appreciation for the strength of animals. The Jaguar for her, in particular, is the embodiment of speed. Hence, the jaguar spots liberally strewed across the model’s fiery orange upper.
Nike Magista Obra 2016 Black History Month
Bringing the African culture to life is what this Nike high top football boot did when it was released. While the base color of the shoe is black, it doesn’t come lacking in vitality brought about by its Pan African-inspired, geometric color selection incorporated into its Flyknit upper. A sock-like sensation is brought about by the cleat’s Dynamic Fit collar which fits around the ankle area. Playing on wet surfaces isn’t a problem as well, as this cleat possesses ACC technology which ensures maximum grip on the ball.
Nike Mercurial Superfly CR7 324K Gold Boot
When this limited edition Nike high top football boot hit the shelves, it was only a matter of hours when every pair was sold out. This is unsurprising considering that the model is created in collaboration with the legendary footballer, Cristiano Ronaldo. The pair’s Flyknit upper sports an elegant but edgy colorway which includes gold, white, silver, and black color palette. A sock-like sensation and support come in the form of a Dynamic fit collar while a light carbon fiber-based plate maintains responsive traction. Playing in wet conditions is not a problem as well, as the pair has ACC technology.
Nike Mercurial Superfly CR7 Quinhentos
A commemoration Nike high top football boot for the legendary Cristiano Ronaldo comes in the form of the Nike Mercurial Superfly CR7 Quinhentos. This shoe is meant to celebrate the footballer exceeding 500 career goals during the Champions League match in 2016. The cleat brings an edgy but nonetheless classy look with its silver, black and red colorway. The upper is made with Teijin microfiber and sports a primarily silver upper which slowly transitions into the color red in the heel area. While the construction does not have a tongue, the cleat still has a central lacing system which allows for fit customization. A Dynamic fit collar and Flywire cables are apparent which brings a sock-like fit for the shoe.
Nike Hypervenom Phantom 3 Elite Dynamic Fit Just Do It
In anticipation of the 2018 World Cup, the Nike Hypervenom Phantom III Elite DF Just Do It football boot is infused with design elements. Starting with its full Flyknit upper, a triangle placed in the heel area is created out of 32 lines which represent the nations participating in the event. Other features for this shoe includes the Dynamic Fit Collar which aids fit as well as Nike’s ACC technology which ensures ball grip even in wet conditions.
Frequently asked questions
Are collared boots here to stay?
The rise of collared boots has been evident over the years, and Nike high top football boots are no exception to this. While not everybody is a fan of this new cut with professional players doing away with the collars by cutting it off, one often asks if this trend is going to last.
Several football boot enthusiasts would say, yes. High top football boots will last through the years. Although elder players are more accustomed to low cut football boots, a new batch of younger footballers have been exposed and have gotten used to mid top or even high top football boots. So, most are optimistic about the collared boots’ steady rise in popularity among younger footballers and well into the future.
Notable high collared cleats include the Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite FG ID, Nike Magista Obra II Academy Dynamic Fit IC Just Do, Nike HypervenomX Phantom III Academy Dynamic Fit TF Just Do It, and the Nike MagistaX Obra II Academy DF TF Just Do It.
What is Nike ID?
NikeID is a service provided by the brand to their customers to personalize the Nike products that they are purchasing. This service is available in several of the brand’s studios including ones in the United States, United Kingdom, Japan, Italy, and a few more others. This option can also be done online.
What are the types of football boot collars?
For modern-day cleats, there are three types of football boot collars. First and the most popular are low-cut football boots that have been a staple design over the years. The cut for this shoe construction stops right before the ankle area. The second type of football boot collar is mid top football boots that stops just across the ankle area. Lastly, high top football boots are making a comeback. Ending a few inches above the ankle area, this collar type brings a sock-like fit for its wearers. While not for everyone, this cut is engineered to aid support as well as stability for the player.
15 best Nike high football boots
- Nike Mercurial Superfly VI Elite Firm Ground
- Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite SG-PRO Anti-Clog
- Nike Phantom Vision Academy Dynamic Fit MG
- Nike Mercurial Superfly VI Pro Firm Ground
- Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite AG-PRO
- Nike Phantom Vision Elite DF Firm Ground
- Nike Mercurial Superfly VI Academy Multi-ground
- Nike MercurialX Victory VI Dynamic Fit Indoor
- Nike Mercurial Superfly VI Club Multi-ground
- Nike Mercurial Superfly VI Pro AG-PRO
- Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite CR7 Firm Ground
- Nike Phantom Vision Academy Dynamic Fit Turf
- Nike MercurialX Superfly 360 Elite Turf
- Nike Phantom Vision Academy Dynamic Fit Soft Ground
- Nike React Phantom Vision Pro Dynamic Fit Indoor Court
A score from 1 to 100 that summarizes opinions from users and experts. The average CoreScore is 78. More...