What you can get from the best Columbia hiking shoes
Columbia hiking shoes are designed to take care of your feet while you’re out and about. Most of their low-top hikers feature a mesh fabric upper to ventilate your foot during a hot hike. The gear’s insides are lined with fabric to create a plush in-shoe environment. Its removable insole cradles your foot and cushions it as well.
In terms of weight, certain Columbia hiking shoes are among the lightest footwear models out there. One of the brand’s lightweight shoes comes in at around 340g. This feat is achieved with the use of synthetic materials. All of these shoe features and characteristics provide the comfort that you need for your outdoor adventures.
Maintaining balance while you’re traversing obstacles can be hard if you’re not wearing the right kind of footgear. Columbia hiking shoes are designed to deliver sufficient support for your day hike. They use midsoles made of ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA), a lightweight material that absorbs shock and provides cushioning to your foot. Providing a boost in arch support is the gear’s removable footbed while granting additional cushioning. Overall, these shoe components provide the underfoot support that you need for your hike.
Losing balance while traversing a trail is a scenario that every outdoor enthusiast should prevent. Columbia hiking shoes are equipped with grippy outsoles to make sure this doesn’t happen to you. The surface of these outsoles is filled with aggressive lugs which bite into various ground conditions. They are made of special rubber compounds to help them resist wear and tear. These outsoles also contain self-cleaning channels that shed mud and debris for optimal traction.
Columbia hiking shoes are made of durable materials so you get a long-lasting product that can take the challenges of the outdoors all the time. These hikers are fitted with robust uppers made of suede leather, synthetic fabric, and OutDry Extreme technology. These materials are engineered to resist wear and tear.
Most Columbia hiking shoes use the brand’s patented Omni-Grip outsole. This component uses special rubber compounds that can withstand constant contact with rough ground conditions.
Hitting the trail will leave your feet exposed to various dangers if your gear can’t provide the protection that you need. Columbia hiking shoes are designed with features that will keep you safe while you’re on your adventure. The company’s finest hikers use sturdy uppers that can withstand abrasive elements and harsh conditions to protect your foot better. Moreover, some low-cut models are reinforced with a toe cap to prevent stubbing.
How do Columbia waterproof hiking shoes work?
There will be instances when your journey is hampered by wet trail conditions. In some cases, the weather will become unpredictable as well. Columbia waterproof hiking shoes are designed to protect your feet from these challenges. The brand’s best low-cut hikers are lined with OutDry technology to keep your foot dry. The membrane’s one-piece construction eliminates the need for seams or gaps within its surface to effectively seal water out. It also allows moisture vapor to pass through, making the shoe breathable.
Although Columbia waterproof hiking shoes protect you from wet conditions, there are still some ways for your foot to be exposed to the elements. Here are some of them:
- The low-top design of these hikers easily allows water to enter through the collar. When the weather gets too rough, you can expect raindrops to invade the shoe’s interiors.
- Wading through streams or deep puddles will overwhelm your Columbia waterproof hiking shoes and cause your feet to get wet.
Fit and sizing
Getting the right fit from your gear is essential to the success of your hike. Columbia hiking shoes provide this benefit so you can get the best performance out of them. These hikers come with a lace-up closure which grants a secure and customized fit. This system uses a series of eyelets to hold the laces in place. When these laces are adjusted, the gear’s tongue and collar softly wraps around your foot and relieves pressure from it. Moreover, some of the company’s hikers use a pull tab at the back of the collar to facilitate easy on and off.
Columbia men’s hiking shoes
The brand’s low-cut hikers for men are typically available from sizes 7 to 17. Half-sizes are also offered for a better overall fit. Every footwear model comes in standard width while a select few have a wide fit version. Also, Columbia men’s hiking shoes fairly run true to size.
Columbia women’s hiking shoes
The sizes for women’s low top hiking footwear range from 5 to 12. These hikers also come in half-sizes. Columbia women’s hiking shoes are only available in regular width. Moreover, the gear relatively runs true to its size.
The framework behind the best Columbia hiking shoes
Columbia was founded in 1938 when Paul and Marie Lamfrom came to the United States to start a hat distributorship. In 1948, the company decided to manufacture and sell their line of outdoor gear products after several frustrations with their suppliers. This decision led to the formal establishment of Columbia Sportswear Company.
As of the present, Columbia Sportswear has an active network of 13,000 retailers around the world. Its products, including Columbia men’s and women’s hiking shoes, are being sold in countries from Africa, the Middle East, Europe, Asia Pacific, North America and South America. The company also offers a wide assortment of outdoor offerings including accessories, equipment, apparel, boots and shoes.
This American outdoor gear company has a diverse catalog of low-top hikers. Its entry-level and cheaper options start at $80 while top-of-the-line Columbia hiking shoes are priced at $140. These footwear models feature the brand’s technologies and offer a lot of performance for outdoor lovers.
- OutDry. Columbia waterproof hiking shoes use OutDry technology against all sorts of wet trail conditions. It incorporates a one-piece barrier to eliminate space for water to penetrate the membrane. OutDry-equipped hikers are best used in moderate to heavy rain and moderate snowfall.
- OutDry Extreme. An OutDry Extreme waterproof membrane is more durable than its regular variant. It is more suitable in heavy rain and extreme snow conditions. Also, its breathable design allows excess moisture and heat to pass through.
- Omni-Tech. This is Columbia’s proprietary waterproof membrane. It uses a seam-sealed construction.
- Techlite. The best Columbia hiking shoes are fitted with Techlite midsoles for remarkable shock absorbency. They are made from EVA foam to cushion your foot while remaining lightweight at the same time.
- Omni-Grip. This is an outsole technology developed by Columbia for their footwear products. It features an aggressive pattern of multi-directional lugs for a secure footing over various surfaces. These outsoles are made of a special rubber compound to make them resistant to wear and tear.
- FluidFrame. This technology uses a proprietary manufacturing method to create a denser midsole which renders soft cushioning without compromising support. It also provides enhanced stability in virtually all types of trail conditions.
- Vibram. Consumers who prefer a reliable outsole in their footgear can find Vibram hiking shoes among Columbia’s collection. One of their offerings features a sole that uses the Mont compound—a formulation optimized for trekking and mountaineering.
The brand maintains its competence in the outdoor industry by featuring these technologies at different price points. They are also an established name. Columbia even offers hiking boots. Should you find components that suit your hiking trips, consider getting a pair of their hiking shoes.
Frequently asked questions about the best Columbia hiking shoes
How can I keep my Columbia hiking shoes in good condition?
Your trail shoes will always be covered in dirt and mud after each hike. Leaving them in this state will further deteriorate them. It’s important to maintain them, especially if you use a pair of Columbia waterproof hiking shoes. Here are some simple tips to help you care for your gear properly.
- Remove the footbed from the shoe before washing them under a faucet. This allows you to clean those hard-to-reach parts inside the footgear.
- Use a brush with soft bristles to clean your Columbia hiking shoes. Pair this tool with a mild detergent solution to effectively remove traces of dirt on it.
- Apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on surfaces stained with sap, gum, oil, or grease. This particular solution can clean your shoes without damaging the leather or mesh portions of the upper.
- Place your Columbia hiking shoes in an airy spot to dry. Leaving your footwear near any source of heat will affect its quality.
- The brand recommends the application of a water-repellent finish on your hikers after washing them. Columbia waterproof hiking shoes are treated with this coating to make them resistant to the elements. Applying this solution will keep your footgear working well in wet trail conditions.
Does Columbia offer Gore-Tex hiking shoes?
Columbia’s present offerings don’t have Gore-Tex as the waterproof membrane. Shoes that use this type of lining have been phased out. As previously mentioned, they use OutDry (another technology from another company) and their very own Omni-Tech.
8 best Columbia hiking shoes
- Columbia Wayfinder Outdry
- Columbia Conspiracy V Outdry
- Columbia Peakfreak XCRSN II XCEL Low
- Columbia Wayfinder
- Columbia Redmond Low Waterproof
- Columbia Fairbanks Low
- Columbia Terrebonne Shoe
- Columbia Redmond Low
A score from 1 to 100 that summarizes opinions from users and experts. The average CoreScore is 78. More...