Disclosure: We are reader supported, and earn affiliate commissions when you buy through us.
Best Adidas Hiking Sneakers - August 2019
Adidas is one of the giant sporting labels that leaped into the hiking footwear craze starting off with its partnership with Raf Simons through his out-of-the-box shoe creations. In 2013, Adidas and this Belgian designer launched their first collaborative piece, the strangely contoured, thick-soled Ozweego 1. This remake of the 1990 trail running original is said to have sparked the trail shoe trend, and it only took a year before the second installment came out, the Adidas x Raf Simons Ozweego 2.
Since then, Adidas has been spewing loads of outdoor, trail, and hiking-inspired sneakers, which may not be fully equipped for mountain slope adventures, but designed to keep the feet protected, comfortable, and insulated, particularly during inclement weather.
Why go for Adidas hiking-inspired shoes?
- Protection – Adidas hiking sneakers may not be fit for rough terrains, but are generally crafted with insulated lining or waterproof membranes such as Gore-tex that keeps the feet secured, dry, and comfortable from moderate to colder conditions. Some Adidas hiking kicks are made with the responsive Boost cushioning system that protects the feet against impact.
- Support – These kicks mimic the aggressive tread patterns of Adidas hiking boots with ridged lugs that help in keeping the feet stable on wet, dry, and snowy grounds.
- Comfort – Most of the Adidas hiking sneakers are made to be light and flexible as seen in the Primeknit variations that offer tons of pleasure to users. There are certain styles devised with moisture-wicking OrthoLite sockliners that allow the feet to stay dry yet comfortably snugged.
- Style – Hiking-oriented kicks by Adidas are typically dressed with leather or insulated knit upper, crafted with lug soles and strapped with rope laces commonly seen in mountain boots. Adidas hiking sneakers also come in a variety of colors and collar heights that put a statement look to lots of outdoor apparel and casual outfits.
- Durability – Since these sneakers are typically suited for the colder months, the upper gets hard-wearing layering with reinforcement on specific areas to keep the feet secured, while the deep-lugged outsoles are ready for long walks on uneven urban terrains.
Fashionable hiking sneakers by Adidas
If you have no plans of tackling the great outdoors but still want throw on that hiker’s rig on a casual day – whether you’re traveling around the city or out-of-town -- you can channel such vibe by picking a pair of Adidas hiking sneakers that work well for you. Match it up with mountaineering-inspired garbs, winter outfits, or tactical clothing to achieve that hiker’s look.
A good sense of styling is everything you need to pull off a chic outdoorsy fashion. Below are some of the hiking-inspired shoes by Adidas that scream outdoorsy yet snappy at the same time. We have segmented them into different styling purposes to help you find a pair that suits you best.
Be bold and confident
If you want your shoe to add color to your usual daily garb or you want to be a standout in the crowd, there are vibrant and trendy Adidas hiking sneakers in high- and mid-top profiles which are ready for picking. These spiffed up shoes deserve to be flaunted, so try not to hide them under your pants.
Adidas AF1.3 Primeknit Boots
Adidas never fails to surprise its fan base with eye-catching hybrid sneakers like the imposing AF1.3 Primeknit Boots. The unlikely foundation of this mishmash, runway-ready silhouette was taken from
the brand’s range of combat boots and vintage running shoes. Specifically mimicking the Adidas GSG-9 tactical assault high-tops used by the German Federal Police, this modified look may not be ready for hiking on rough terrains, but it’s loaded with weather enduring components.
The low-top version is called the Adidas AF1.4 PK which has the same features as this shoe but with a wholly slashed up collar. This high-top Adidas hiking-inspired shoe comes in men’s sizes with an exact, standard fit.
- Insulated Primeknit cover with waterproof lining
- Reflective detailing
- Shock-absorbing midsole with the Dellinger webbing technology used in retro running shoes like the Adidas Forest Grove.
Adidas Seeulater OG
Primed for urban adventures, the coveted Adidas Seeulater hiking profile from the 90s resurfaced with a head-turning silhouette. This reinvented mid-top Adidas casual sneaker is built with insulation to keep the feet warm during the colder months. Its oddly-looking chunky sole has a distinct character which is not hard to miss even on snow-covered city streets.
- Foot-hugging Primeknit upper
- Double stitched leather overlays
- Long-enduring rubber trail sole unit
- Some have elasticated nylon cuffs for a tighter and secured fit
Adidas Seeulater Primeknit Winter
This winter-ready Seeulater PK silhouette took away the leather overlays seen on the OG dad shoe version which makes this variation sleeker and slimmer. After re-appearing in 2016, the Adidas Seeulater, a former Adidas hiking shoe, returned in 2017 in a lighter composition equipped with an utterly Primeknit exterior, with very minimal leather overlay on the heel. This dad shoe isn’t for the faint of heart as the style options for this low-top pops in vibrant shades. You may bag up this mid-top Adidas hiking-designed shoe in women’s and men’s sizes.
- Highly-adaptive and supportive bootie-like Primeknit upper with an insulated membrane
- Ultra-light in spite of its chunky sole
- Ridged outsole makes walking on snow easy
- OrthoLite sockliner wicks moisture
- TPU along the quarter for durability
Get that runway look
Adidas hiking sneakers can be Instagram-worthy as you can wear them with confidence during occasions you needed that extra punch of style to complete your ensemble. Some of these low-top profiles are sold at exorbitant prices on the resale market. So typically, these are garbed with exterior layering you wouldn’t want to dodge in mud or dirt. Have a peek and feel free to take your pick.
Adidas White Mountaineering NMD_R1 Trail Primeknit
Does a winter-ready Boost-cushioned NMD shoe sound appealing for you? German sports giant Adidas and Japanese fashion label White Mountaineering merged together and launched one in 2017 branded as the Adidas White Mountaineering NMD_R1 Trail PK.
This low-top, hiking-inspired remake of the NMD gets an insulated Primeknit covering and thicker, treaded sole that offers style with functionality. You can sport this with a tiger camo pants, jeans, leisure cargos, double-dry and fleece pants. Its original retail cost is $210 and around $285 on the resale market.
- Its Primeknit cover offers adaptable support
- It comes with an ultra-lightweight and breathable structure
- TPU overlay serves as a mudguard
- Has a suede-like, non-removable insole
- Boost cushioning energizes every stride with its bouncy property
Alexander Wang x Adidas Originals Hike Lo
Alexander Wang and Adidas dropped a winter-ready low-top sneaker tagged as the Hike Lo which arrived in head-turning bright crimson and loud volt shades. The lavishly styled upper, decorated with a pebble-like Three Stripes accent on the sides, gives you the ticket to wear this on the high street and even on formal occasions if you dare to be bold.
This low-top Adidas hiking sneaker took in the cushioning benefits of the Boost midsole and paired it with an outsole that’s ready for rugged trails. You can take home this Adidas hiking-rooted shoe in women’s and men’s sizes.
- Plush suede upper
- Fleece lining
- Luxurious leather heel counter
- Full-length Boost midsole for supreme comfort on rigid roads
- Jagged outsole for enhanced traction
Go for something practical and conventional
These no-nonsense Adidas hiking sneakers that come in the traditional high-top boot and easy-to-wear slip-on profiles are reasonable options for everyday wear especially when the temperature begins to drop. These Adidas hiking-inspired kicks go well with lots of comfy, relaxed pants like jeans, cargos, and khakis.
You don’t need to worry too much about color combinations since these are available in neutral shades, which give you the versatility to wear them from work to dinner date. The sturdy uppers and deep lugged soles will keep your feet insulated for a long time on snowy grounds. Plus these are retailed reasonably which doesn’t cost an arm and leg.
Adidas Jake Blauvelt Boot
If you’re looking for a high-top Adidas waterproof hiking-inspired transition shoe after doing some snow mountain adventures, the winter-equipped Adidas Jake Blauvelt Boot in premium full-leather exterior may be the right match for you. Its non-technical form makes it more fitting for casual use than on mountain terrains.
Professional snowboarder Jake Blauvelt got his first signature, hiking-inspired boot from the Three Stripes in 2012 when the brand launched its Snowboarding division. This boot with Blauvelt’s namesake resembles an Adidas running-inspired casual sneaker, the Tubular Instinct Boost. Other variations of the Blauvelt are the insulated Jake Gore-Tex Boots and suede-covered Jake 2.0 Boots.
- The tongue is attached to a gusset, to prevent water, ice, snow from entering the shoe
- It has a padded liner that provides support and insulation
- Back pull tab for comfortable ankle up
- D-ring lace loops and rope laces
- Deep lug soles for improved traction on snowy and icy grounds
Adidas Winterhill SPZL
The Adidas Winterhill Spezial hiking-inspired shoe with waterproofing features and heavy-duty exterior is ready to handle the challenging and coldest season of the year and keep your feet comfortably warm.
The Spezial line consists of modified versions of extremely rare of Adidas heritage footwear curated by Gary Aspden and a team of Three Stripes archivists. For the design of the Winterhill, the group drew inspiration from an old Adidas hiking boot associated with German mountaineer Reinhold Messner and made it street-ready with a low-top form and simple makeup.
- Its upper is made with premium leather with supple suede overlays
- The surface of the shoe is protected by a water-repellent coating
- Its gusseted tongue locks out ice, water, and dirt
- Leather lining for a plush feel
- Deep lugs for stable footing
- Heavy duty D-rings
Adidas Jake Boot 2.0 Low
Get the traditional and modest look of the high-top Jake Blauvelt Boot version 2 but in a low-top, fresh-looking pair, the Adidas Jake Boot 2.0 Low. Like the other signature sneakers of Vermont snowboarder Jake Blauvelt, this shoe is prepped to take on the harshness of the freezing months which you can wear from the office to the pub. Its six pairs of metal D-ring lace holes and trekking-inspired rope laces offer a customized and lockdown fit.
- Durable nubuck upper
- Reinforced toe, mudguard, and heel
- EVA midsole
Simplify your style, go minimal
Less is more. Adidas trimmed down the weight and styling of some of its hiking and winter-ready sneakers to make them appear versatile and flexible. It took advantage of the latest technologies such as Primeknit and Gore-tex to help insulate the feet from cold and keep water from seeping inside the shoe while creating silhouettes which are downright minimalist.
Pharrell Williams x Adidas Human Race NMD TR
Among the simplistic Adidas hiking-inspired sneakers are those designed by Pharrell Williams. Adidas hooked up with rapper and fashion mogul Pharrell Williams, and in 2016 the Hu line was conceived, starting off with the PK-covered Human Race NMD. A year later, Three Stripes and Pharrell launched the Human Race NMD TR, a trail version with a unique lacing system and a hiking-inspired outsole.
Like the previous models produced by the large sports label and influential artist, the Human Race NMD TR is obtainable up to $6000 on resale shoe market, while the exclusive BBC (Billionaire’s Boys Club) TR has a resale value of over $1500. Pharrell NMD shoes generally run a half size bigger than the standard size that it’s ideal to size down. You can grab this Adidas hiking-influenced shoe in men’s and women’s sizes.
- Soft and yielding Primeknit sock-like upper
- Rope laces are looped through the TPU cages on the medial and lateral sides
- Has a springy Boost cushioning midsole
- Durable outsole with jagged lugs
- Available in multihued options
Adidas x White Mountaineering Seeulater Alledo Primeknit
This Seeulater sneaker, devised by Adidas and White Mountaineering, may no longer be suitable for long-distance trekking on rugged trails, but its robust form makes it all geared up for urban city slopes during winter. Still inspired by the original 1990s trail shoe, this contemporary version lends a minimal look using the sock-like innovative Primeknit cover.
This mid-top, slip-on styled Adidas hiking-oriented sneaker embraces simplicity as it’s free of eyestays, crisscrossed laces, and TPU support across the top. Its techwear appearance makes it wearable with cargo pants, military joggers, workwear pants, and even corduroy jeans.
- Its one-piece Primeknit upper keeps the feet comfortably warm during cold months
- Premium pigskin suede layering around the forefoot serves as a mudguard
- An elastic cord across the front of the ankle offers a lockdown fit
- Deep grooves on the outsoles provide traction on snowy grounds
Adidas NMD_C1 Trail
The Adidas NMD_C1 Trail is ideal for the style-conscious traveler as it merges urban and outdoor aesthetic together. After all, this mid-top sneaker isn’t equipped for technical trails or logging long miles. A reimagined version of the original NMD Chukka, this Adidas hiking-inspired sneaker comes with a winter-ready boot-like outsole.
- Boost midsole provides right amount of cushioning
- The sock-like upper is made of rugged nylon with waxed suede heel detailing
- Textile lining offers a plush layering inside
- It features NMD insert plugs made of molded EVA for aesthetic and support
Frequently Asked Questions
Are hiking-inspired sneakers by Adidas suitable for mountaineering?
Adidas hiking sneakers are designed as lifestyle footwear. Although some Adidas hiking kicks have the typical features of performance hiking shoes such as durable upper and lugged soles, these don’t necessarily have the technical and supportive aspects needed for day hiking, backpacking, speed hiking, and winter hiking.
Which of the Adidas Gore-tex hiking shoes look good with casual wear?
Majority of the Adidas GTX hiking shoes belong to the Terrex line. This consists of hiking shoes and trail running shoes or the type of footwear which are ideal for off-trail, rough terrains, and uneven surfaces.
Of the two categories, the Adidas trail running shoes are more stylish and slimmer in overall profile. Some of the samples which are appealing with casual rigs are the Adidas Terrex Agravic GTX, Adidas Terrex Skychaser GTX, Adidas Terrex CMTK, Adidas Terrex Parley DLX Boat Shoe, Terrex Climacool Parley, and Terrex Boa White Mountaineering.
Are there any care tips to help extend the lifespan of Adidas hiking sneakers made of suede or leather?
Some Adidas hiking sneakers are treated durable water repellent, an added coating to shield your shoe from external elements. But this thin layering will eventually wear off. One of the signs that your sneaker needs a touch up of water repellant coating is when a light amount of water begins to seep through your shoe.
- There are various water repellent and shoe protector sprays in the market for suede, leather, and nubuck kicks; just be sure to pick one that’s suitable for your shoe’s composition.
- Tidy up your Adidas hiking sneaker and allow it to air dry before applying treatment.
- Give it ample time to dry before using.
How do Adidas hiking sneakers fit?
According to a considerable number of Adidas hiking shoe reviews, these kicks are fitted in exact, standard size. However, there are certain styles such as the Pharrell Human Race NMD which are long. Some narrow footed wearers suggested sizing down in half. If you’re in between sizes and you prefer a tight fit, go one size down. Do otherwise if you desire a loose fit.
How to tell if I got the right fit?
First off, measure your feet at the end of the day when they are largest. There ought to be at least 3/8 to 1/2 spaces between your longest toe and the inner front tip of your shoe. Your heel must not wiggle or slip as you walk.
How to break in my Adidas leather hiking sneakers?
Breaking in your new pair of Adidas leather-made hiking shoe is easy. Considering you got the right size of shoes, wear a thick pair of socks and walk around the house several times. To hasten up the break-in period, do these simple steps repeatedly.
Most of the Adidas hiking kicks I see are available in men’s sizes. How do I order in women’s size?
Women shoppers may still purchase Adidas hiking-oriented shoes in men’s sizes by merely going one and a half sizes down in the men’s line.
Are Adidas hiking sneakers heavy on the pocket?
The price of Adidas hiking sneakers starts around a reasonable value of $115 to nearly $300. Among the factors that dictate the cost of these kicks are style and exclusivity, as well as materials. Some of the Adidas hiking kicks are slightly above the average price since these are made with winterized materials and added reinforcements. Collaborative pairs with the likes of Alexander Wang, Pharrell Williams, and White Mountaineering are typically priced higher than the rest.
Where can I easily purchase these Adidas outdoor-inspired shoes with hiking-related features?
Buying Adidas hiking sneakers online can be overwhelming. RunRepeat, a shoe review site, helps you find your next pair of shoes as it features a selection of the most sought-after Adidas hiking sneakers. You don’t need to switch pages as this site directly connects you to an extensive number of retailers. It also provides you with price comparison so you can easily trim down your options and choose your most desired sneaker.
Aside from Adidas, what are the other brands that offer hiking-influenced sneakers?
- Merrell – Burnt Rock, Burnt Rock Travel Suede, Moab Rover, 1Six8 Mesh, Annex Trak Low,
- New Balance – 574 Outdoor Activist, Trailbuster Re-Engineered, Fresh Foam Trailbuster
- Nike – Air Max Goaterra 2.0, Air Max Goadome, Air Humara 17, ACG Dog Mountain, Lupinek Flyknit Low
- Timberland – Dauset Chukka, FlyRoam Trail Mixed-Media, FlyRoam Sport Sneaker Boots, Groveton Plain-Toe Chukka
- Keen – Uneek EXO, Citizen Keen Waterproof
- Puma – Ren Boot NBK
- Ecco – Oregon Retro Sneaker
- The North Face – Mountain Sneaker
- Supra – Supra Oakwood
- Under Armour – Jungle Rat
2 best Adidas hiking sneakers
- Adidas F/2 TR Primeknit
- Adidas Yung-96 Chasm Trail
A score from 1 to 100 that summarizes opinions from users and experts. The average CoreScore is 78. More...