Fit & Sizing
The Puma Match is available in both men’s and women’s sizes. Men’s sizes range from 7.5 to 13 while women’s sizes range from 5.5 to 11 - both in D and B medium widths, respectively. This shoe runs true to size.
Puma Match Style
Intended initially for tennis, the Puma Match was designed to enhance court performance while complying with the court’s dress code. It features a minimal design with perforations in Puma Formstrip form for added breathability, Puma brandings on the tongue and lateral sides, and a rubber outsole.
As years pass by, the Match has gradually made its way out of the court and has become more versatile in terms of styling. Now, it is embraced by the fashion-conscious in the casual fashion sneakers scene. Even a basic jeans-shirt combo will look extra stylish when worn with a pair of the Puma Match. The shoe will look as stylish as well when worn with a maxi dress or even a plain shirt dress, a romper, or jeans.
The Puma Match features a simple yet classic look. The upper and its lateral overlays are both made of leather materials. The perforations for added breathability are in the form of the Puma Formstrip. The collar is padded to provide more comfort. The rubber outsole follows a herringbone traction pattern for an optimized grip. The Puma brandings in gold or silver tone is on the side, tongue, and heel part.
Puma Match History
The Puma Match debuted in 1974 as the brand’s first ever professional tennis shoe. Throughout the years, it underwent performance enhancements specifically during the ‘70s and ‘80s. It features a leather upper material with perforations for breathability and smooth lines that oozes a never-ending charm.
The medial and lateral sides have overlays or panels that provide extra stability and prevent players from slipping on the court. The Match is one of Puma’s performance-enhancing tennis shoes that were made in Europe, making it hard to replicate as it exhibits superior quality. It is also known as one of those shoes worn by the best athletes in history.
In 2015, Puma re-released some of its classic tennis silhouettes. First off the list was based on the classic Match - the Puma Match 74. The Puma Match 74 is updated to exude an off-court appeal and introduce a wide range of options in terms of styling. It features a combination of a full grain leather and the panels are upgraded with premium suede material in pops of color.
- For the 2010 Puma Spring/Summer Collection, a Puma Match version featuring a canvas material upper was released.
- Also in 2010, Puma released the Malmö FF x Puma Match in commemoration of the Swedish football team’s 100th This Match version features a simple white leather upper with Malmö FF blue accents and Malmö FF branding on the tongue and underneath the Puma stamp.
- The Puma Match Neon “Ice” is a Match variation featuring a simplistic colorway in either black or white leather material on the upper and icy blue, clear soles.
- The Puma Match Velcro follows the classic silhouette of the Match and bears similar features, except that the traditional laces were replaced by two Velcro straps.
- Daily Paper, a menswear label based in Amsterdam, and Yo! MTV Raps, a music video TV program, both had collaboration with Puma for the Match.