|Base model:||Puma Ignite Ultimate|
|Weight:||Men: 12.3oz | Women: 10.7oz|
|Heel to toe drop:||Men: 12mm | Women: 12mm|
|Arch type:||High arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Heel strike|
|Distance:||Daily running | Long distance | Marathon|
|Type:||Heavy | Big guy|
|Width:||Men: Normal | Women: Normal, Wide|
|Special editions:||1 special editions|
- Appropriately named, Puma made sure that the upper of the Ignite Ultimate Layered was breathable yet supportive. The upper is made up of three layers of mesh material which provides a comfortable fit. The number of mesh layers augments the durability of the shoe as it provides minimal support to the dorsal area of the foot.
- On the inner heel is a silicone print that further secures the foot in place and prevents accidental slippage of the shoe while the runner is in motion.
- The midsole features the IGNITE Foam. This foam material is Puma’s proprietary development. Its main purpose is to deliver a responsive ride and excellent energy-return to make the runner move faster.
- A molded EVA insole was introduced to the inside of the Puma Ignite Ultimate Layered to add a bit more comfort from within the shoe. This sockliner was also added so the shoe has additional arch support. The support is not significant, but it does hug the arch of the foot enough to bring comfort to the runner.
- Moving on to the outsole, high-wear areas have been covered with Puma’s EverTrack rubber to prevent signs of wear and tear, as well as provide sufficient grip to the shoe. The pattern of the tread is marked with several flex grooves to make way for flexibility and a smooth transition. Aside from the grooves, transition lines also make it possible for the shoe to move with the foot during its gait pattern.
The Puma Ignite Ultimate Layered comes in standard shoe lengths. Runners will be able to procure a pair in their usual size preferences. The same goes with the width of the shoe. It is available in standard width measurements – B-medium for women and D-medium for men.
The Puma Ignite Ultimate Layered has an EverTrack outsole. This rubber material has been developed by Puma to be highly durable. Its durability is the main reason why it is placed on high-wear areas underneath the shoe. The EverTrack doesn’t just improve the traction of the shoe, but it also ensures that the surface of the shoe that often comes in contact with the ground remain intact for a long period of time.
The outsole is marked with a chevron tread pattern that goes in two directions. The pattern in the forefoot points upward and has additional flex grooves to provide the foot with a smoother transition throughout the gait cycle. The pattern on the heel section, on the other hand, points downwards. The two patterns converge in the middle of the outsole. This tread pattern in opposing directions improves the grip of the shoe and also establishes its flexibility.
Another aid in flexibility is the transition line at the bottom of the shoe. As with other Puma shoes that have transition lines, it promotes the natural gait process when the user is walking or running.
The highlight of the midsole is Puma’s IGNITE foam. This proprietary material with Polyurethane as the base compound plays a major role in the responsiveness and energy return qualities of the Puma Ignite Ultimate Layered. This material is not ultra-soft but still provides a decent amount of cushioning underfoot so the impact of the landing is attenuated and the energy exerted for running is conserved better.
Articulated flex grooves that are also in a chevron pattern can be found on the midsole. As the foot moves, these grooves enable the sole unit to compress and go back to their original position, basically accommodating natural foot-flexibility.
Puma added a molded EVA sockliner to follow the natural curves of the foot, thereby providing cushioning and minimal support from the inside of the shoe. Since the EVA sockliner has been molded, it hugs the arch of the foot slightly to provide even more comfort to the runner.
The upper of the Puma Ignite Ultimate Layered has three layers. The mesh is commonly used on the upper of running shoes because it’s malleable and breathable. In the case of the Ignite Ultimate Layered, the mesh layers were stacked up one layer after another to promote the durability while still delivering proper ventilation. This material also balances the climate of the inside of the shoe, keeping the foot cool at all times.
Minimal overlays can be found on the upper. The most blatant one is the Puma form-strip found on the lateral side, which gives a bit of support while also maintaining the structural integrity of the shoe’s façade.
The lacing closure is in place to ensure that the runner can customize the snugness of the shoe. Tightening the lacing system up prevents accidental slippage of the shoe from the foot when rapid footwork is taking place.
On the inner heel is a silicone print of which the function is similar to the lacing system. It ensures that the foot is secure and that it won’t slip off of the shoe when the runner is in motion.