Shoes with optimum cushioning, lateral support, and flexibility for daily workouts and studio sessions. See workout shoes
Versatile, low-profile shoes for constantly varied exercises including plyometrics, sprinting, weightlifting, and rope climbing. See CrossFit shoes
Shoes for daily wear that ensure a smooth walking gait cycle. Check out walking shoes
For people with normal pronation. Also provide support for high-arched feet with underpronation (excessive outward rolling of the foot). See neutral training shoes
For people with low-arched or flat feet and moderate overpronation (excessive inward rolling of the foot). See stability training shoes
Shoes feature stabilizing technologies for people with severe overpronation. See motion control training shoes
Good to know
Stability and motion control add-ons are uncommon for workout shoes and are never present in CrossFit or weightlifting footwear. They are mostly found in walking shoes where the gait is easier to correct.
Training footwear typically weighs between 200g and 300g per shoe to accommodate agile workouts. Minimalist trainers go as low as 150g, while weightlifting shoes can go as high as 500g.
WidthMen: StandardWomen: Standard
Release dateOct 2018
Experts are training geeks, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Updates to Puma Defy Luxe
- The Puma Defy Luxe is one of the training shoes released in cooperation with the pop sensation Selena Gomez. This workout shoe from Puma is made specially for women as it melds style and functionality to look good for streetwear yet be ready to throw down at the gym.
- The upper utilizes a knitted fabric with stitching accents that add style. It uses thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) overlays to render support where needed without weighing the footwear down.
- The shoe employs a thick midsole made of a high-rebound foam. It absorbs shock to keep the foot and the joints of the lower extremities protected from impact.
- As for the outsole, it utilizes a gum rubber compound. It provides multi-directional traction.
- The Defy Luxe shares the same technology and silhouette with its predecessor, the Puma Defy. The only difference between the models is that the older version uses a soft knitted fabric with a ripple-like texture — an element the Defy Luxe lacks.
Puma Defy Luxe size and fit
The Puma Defy Luxe is made to accommodate women’s feet. It comes in US sizes 5.5 to 11, including half and full sizes. As for the width, it is only available in a B - Medium profile. The knitted upper material is designed to hug the foot. There’s also a lacing system that allows users to tighten the fit at the midfoot.
A gum rubber compound protects the bottom of the Puma Defy Luxe. This material is grippy, flexible, and non-marking. There’s an x-shaped flex groove under the ball of the foot which facilitates natural movements. Traction points are placed at the forefoot and heel sections to enhance the multidirectional grip of the platform. The outsole extends at the midfoot to add support during side-to-side movements. It also rises at the toe section, guarding it against bumps.
The Puma Defy Luxe is equipped with a high-rebound foam that is engineered to attenuate shock. It converts the force of impact into energy to help the wearer push effortlessly off the ground. According to Puma, the exaggerated height of the platform aims to support functional training movements.
The Puma Defy Luxe sports a low-cut bootie construction. This style makes it easier for wearers to slip their foot in and out of the trainer, but the lacing system can be utilized to tighten the midfoot if desired.
The upper is made of a knitted fabric that is lightweight, pliable and breathable. It features geometric patterns that add a stylish flair to the trainer.
The high apex and collar intend to deliver a sock-like fit. There’s a pull tab on the tongue while the shape of the collar also assists users in widening the mouth of the shoe to accommodate the foot as it slides in.
Overlays made from TPU are seen on the lateral and medial sides of the upper. The iconic Puma Forms Tip also uses the same material. They serve to provide support during side-to-side movements. It also acts as an external heel clip that steadies the rearfoot during training.