Experts are training geeks, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
- The Puma Defy Luxe is one of the training shoes released in cooperation with the pop sensation Selena Gomez. This workout shoe from Puma is made specially for women as it melds style and functionality to look good for streetwear yet be ready to throw down at the gym.
- The upper utilizes a knitted fabric with stitching accents that add style. It uses thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) overlays to render support where needed without weighing the footwear down.
- The shoe employs a thick midsole made of a high-rebound foam. It absorbs shock to keep the foot and the joints of the lower extremities protected from impact.
- As for the outsole, it utilizes a gum rubber compound. It provides multi-directional traction.
- The Defy Luxe shares the same technology and silhouette with its predecessor, the Puma Defy. The only difference between the models is that the older version uses a soft knitted fabric with a ripple-like texture — an element the Defy Luxe lacks.
The Puma Defy Luxe is made to accommodate women’s feet. It comes in US sizes 5.5 to 11, including half and full sizes. As for the width, it is only available in a B - Medium profile. The knitted upper material is designed to hug the foot. There’s also a lacing system that allows users to tighten the fit at the midfoot.
A gum rubber compound protects the bottom of the Puma Defy Luxe. This material is grippy, flexible, and non-marking. There’s an x-shaped flex groove under the ball of the foot which facilitates natural movements. Traction points are placed at the forefoot and heel sections to enhance the multidirectional grip of the platform. The outsole extends at the midfoot to add support during side-to-side movements. It also rises at the toe section, guarding it against bumps.
The Puma Defy Luxe is equipped with a high-rebound foam that is engineered to attenuate shock. It converts the force of impact into energy to help the wearer push effortlessly off the ground. According to Puma, the exaggerated height of the platform aims to support functional training movements.
The Puma Defy Luxe sports a low-cut cleatie construction. This style makes it easier for wearers to slip their foot in and out of the trainer, but the lacing system can be utilized to tighten the midfoot if desired.
The upper is made of a knitted fabric that is lightweight, pliable and breathable. It features geometric patterns that add a stylish flair to the trainer.
The high apex and collar intend to deliver a sock-like fit. There’s a pull tab on the tongue while the shape of the collar also assists users in widening the mouth of the shoe to accommodate the foot as it slides in.
Overlays made from TPU are seen on the lateral and medial sides of the upper. The iconic Puma Forms Tip also uses the same material. They serve to provide support during side-to-side movements. It also acts as an external heel clip that steadies the rearfoot during training.