Football boots with sock-like extension above the ankle level for added protection and support. the best high top fooball boots.
Football boots that offer coverage until the ankle level for extra stability. See the best mid top football boots.
Traditional football boots without collars or extensions for maximum mobility. See the best low top football boots.
Good to know
Choosing the best collar height is a matter of personal preference and is not dependent on the type of surface played. More info here
Football boots that provide rotational and aggressive traction on firm or dry natural grass. See the best FG boots.
Football boots with flat, anti-slip rubber outsole great for indoor courts. See the best IC boots.
Football boots with durable rubber outsole designed for excellent grip on short-piled synthetic grass. See the best Turf boots.
Low-profile, hollow-studded football boots intended for long-piled synthetic grass. See the best AG boots.
Football boots built for street, dirt, concrete and polished pitches and also doubles as a casual wear. See the best Street football boots.
Football boots that are built for more than one type of surface. See the best Flexible Ground Football boots.
Good to know
Football boots are often categorized by brands into different collections based on their distinct purpose such as boots for Speed, Power or Control.
Experts are football players, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
91 / 100 based on 18 expert reviews
It's like genuinely more closer to the ground which gave me that little bit of extra confidence when pushing off.
What's also interesting about this is as thin as the upper is actually has somewhat a nice feel on your foot.
It has an ultra barefoot feel, no extra padding whatsoever, the closest thing to wearing no shoes, in regards to touch on the ball, the Vapor XI does that better than anything else out there in my opinion.
If you just want the most aggressive traction possible, this will do that.
Features of the Nike Mercurial Vapor XI Firm Ground
- The eleventh version of Nike Mercurial Vapor’s solid traction and fit are brought about by its new Grip System that provides an anti-slip traction feature internally. It is also strengthened by an integrated tongue that aids in securing the foot inside the cleat.
- The improved 3D Speed Plate is what makes this boot ultralight. This is mainly engineered to offer faster acceleration alongside with the precision-placed studs.
- Nike Mercurial Vapor XI features the ACC (All Conditions Control) technology that delivers the overall control of the boot whether it’s in a dry or wet environment. This protective element is still retained in the more updated models such as the Nike Mercurial Superfly 360 Elite CR7 FG and theNike Mercurial Superfly 6 Elite Firm Ground.
- The boot is made of premium Synthetic material inside and outside, creating a one-piece enclosure for the foot bringing much conformity to the foot shape. The lock-in sensation is enhanced due to this material.
- The insole is removable, but the front half can be seen glued to the inside to prevent any unwanted sliding. The upper of the insole is a mesh layer covering a layer of Ortholite foam giving the boot more cushioning.
Fit and sizing
Nike Mercurial Vapor XI is available in different sizes ranging from 7.5 to 12.5 in men’s version. For women’s sizing, it is available from 7.5 to 14. This boot uses Nike Grip system utilizing tongue and laces for a snug fit that allows adjustability.
Similar to the Superfly 5, the Nike Mercurial Vapor XI uses a chevron stud pattern offering a much smoother ride, especially with straight-line speed, particularly for natural grass. The stud pattern is known to be one of the most aggressive stud patterns designed to improve feet performance.
These studs are sitting in a 3D speed plate that enhances precision and speed. The 3D speed plate is a single layer plate that is designed not with the usual flat surface but with dips that conforms to the shape of the foot, great for quick cut motions. This soleplate is made of nylon and is specifically catering to natural ground surfaces.
The horizontal speed ridges found on the surface of the upper known as Speed Ribs do not just offer that barefoot feel, but also that closer ball touch that will certainly improve movements for striking. The said texture is constructed for better ball manipulation. The upper is also protected by an advanced technology called ACC (All Conditions Control) that can also be found in the other top-end models of Nike cleats.
A noticeable trim lining is also seen going from the forefoot and toe box area that promotes the durability of the boot. This thick plastic-like material provides a solid bond with the upper and the soleplate for added endurance to the cleat.
The lacing system is used for the upper for that added adjustability to the fit with a low-cut design and internal heel counter. Additionally, a tongue is integrated on the upper that is constructed to lessen distractions.
- Nike Mercurial Vapor XI can be customized with an added cost.
- This specific model is built for short-grass and slightly wet fields.
- A Neymar JR variation of this shoe is available and has been popularly tagged as “Written in the Stars”.
- Soccer players Eden Hazard and Luca Modric were seen wearing these cleats.