DiscontinuedUpdate: Nike Air Zoom Winflo 4 Shield
Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 9ozWomen: 7.6oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 10mmWomen: 10mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
WidthMen: normalWomen: normal
Updates to Nike Air Zoom Winflo 3 Shield
- Nike offers the Winflo 3 Shield with some tweaks. For the first time, the Winflo gets a water-repellent upper that protects the runner against the elements. It gives the shoe an added dimension as running in wet conditions is no longer as daunting to the user.
- A slight change in how the Flywire cables are aligned is also an update. The cords are deliberately placed in the right areas for better midfoot hold and support.
- The breathability of the Winflo 3 Shield is guaranteed by the engineered mesh that uses bigger and more holes, particularly in the forefoot. Despite the water-repellent coating, ventilation remains to be optimal in this shoe.
- Nike modifies the laces in this version as well. Since the new ones have more texture and a bit flatter than before, maintaining the fit and security should pose no problems for the runners.
- Slightly more padding in the ankle collar and the tongue enhances comfort in this shoe.
Nike Air Zoom Winflo 3 Shield size and fit
One update in the Nike Winflo 3 Shield that is most welcomed by runners is the rather supportive fit. It has mainly something to do with the re-alignment of the Flywire cables for excellent security and support. The heel is held down as well while the roomy toe box makes it a solid option for those who want more room in the forefoot. It has fairly standard shoe length.
A staple in Nike shoes, the Waffle design, finds its way into the outsole of the Winflo 3 Shield for traction. The usual mix of carbon rubber in the heel and other areas prone to wear and tear and blown rubber for enhanced grip is utilized. Flex grooves in the forefoot give the shoe optimal flexibility.
Nike consistently uses a simple midsole in the Winflo series. In the Air Zoom Winflo 3 Shield a single slice of soft Cushlon foam runs the length of the shoe. It helps with the transitions owing to its full-length design. The soft cushioning makes it excellent for piling on the miles. An Air Zoom unit in the heel absorbs shock and enhances cushioning.
The seamless upper is mostly engineered mesh that is really breathable. Coating this entire upper is a water-repellent technology that shields the foot during inclement weather. It remains to be very breathable despite this water-resistant update. There are Flywire cables on both sides of the shoe for solid support and security. Nike has incorporated reflective details on this shoe for night-time or low-visibility running. The upper is accented by a stylish Swoosh near the ankle. A removable insole improves cushioning and plush feel in the Zoom Winflo 3 Shield.