DiscontinuedUpdate: Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35
Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 10.1ozWomen: 8.1oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 10mmWomen: 10mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
WidthMen: normalWomen: normal
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
87 / 100 based on 12 expert reviews
My Thoughts on the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31
Today, I’m going to review the Pegasus line.
In the 31st generation, there were some updates done to deliver an incredible ride that is firmer than previous models without completely sacrificing the identity of the Pegasus name.
They are comfortable, responsive, and durable running shoes that have lasted for a while. I look forward to seeing what the next generation brings since I loved these a lot.
This expert has been verified by RunRepeat. Reviews are neutral, unbiased and based on extensive testing.
The shoe blends a cushioned ride, unbroken heel-to-toe transition and superlative upper fit to deliver an excellent neutral running package.
The newest overhaul features today's popular bouncy cushioning in a neutral but stable package, although with an anachronistic 14-mm heel-toe drop.
The result is a lightweight, energetic, all-around training shoe for everyday use, one suitable for both long distance runs and faster workouts.
Updates to Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31
- Nike reinvents the ride of the Pegasus 31 by coming up with several significant changes. The first major change is the lowering of the sole profile to give a closer to the ground feel and the start of several changes that begins a new firmness that has never been experienced before by hordes of Pegasus fans. As the sole is about 3mm lower than before, there is lesser compression, which results in a less squishy feel.
- Midfoot security is enhanced by a new network of printed overlays. Despite the minimal upper, the security of the foot is as guaranteed as ever in the new version of the Pegasus.
- Another change is the removal of the side grooves that helps with the compression upon impact. Without the side grooves, the transition quickly moves from the back to the front. Again, this adds a new firmness in the cushioning.
- The last effect of the lowering of the sole is the prominence of the Air unit in the heel. Because there isn’t much compression happening by the lowered sole, the Air unit stands out with every impact as it delivers a renewed sense of pop in the 31st model of the Pegasus.
- The upper gets the love in the new version also. Nike removed any overlays around the toe box, giving the forefoot more room. With the elimination of overlays in the forefoot, a new engineered mesh claims a rightful place in the upper as it offers better structure, even without the overlays.
- An inner sleeve that is made of soft mesh also appears. The fit and midfoot security are immediately enhanced by this bootie-like enhancement. Another great result with this addition is the elimination of tongue slide as the tongue is now attached to the inner sleeve.
- The outsole is not spared when it comes to changes. A noteworthy modification is a more consistent and quicker transition because the rubber is not separated by too many cut outs. There is also one lesser flex groove. Again, it contributes to the quickness of the transition and the responsiveness of the ride without taking away too much flexibility.
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31 size and fit
The fit is of the Pegasus 31 is very familiar to fans of this line. There is a snug heel and midfoot with better room to splay in the forefoot. The volume in the forefoot is average, though. Most runners with medium to slightly wider feet can fit in effortlessly in this shoe. Medium is the offered width while sizing is standard.
The outsole is fairly full contact with consistent size in the rubber that helps the transition from the heel to the forefoot. There are forefoot grooves, but are one fewer in number, which gives the shoe a little firmner than before. Carbon rubber covers a large portion of the outsole. Nike features crash rails or twin strips of rubber in the lateral side of the shoe from the heel to just above the midfoot. The guide rails are separated by a vertical flex groove to make cushioning better.
A moderately-sized slice of compression-molded Cushlon foam blankets the entire midsole. As with most full-length foam, the transition is seamless and quick. Because of the lower sole, the Air bag in the heel gives a very responsive feel. The pop in the heel quickly transfers the weight to the firm midfoot and forefoot for that fast-paced run.
The upper is a mixture of engineered mesh on top for better structure. Beneath this engineered mesh is a more refined and softer mesh for that next to skin feel. This mesh goes right to the mesh of the inner sleeve. Nike uses a network of printed overlays that keep the midfoot secure. The firm ride of the midsole is compensated by a cushy insole and soft strobel. A traditional lace up closure closes the deal.