|Base model:||Nike Air Max 1 OG|
|Collection:||Nike Air Max 1|
|Material:||Leather, Rubber Sole, Air Max|
|Colorways:||Blue, Multi, White, Black, Purple, Beige, Grey, Green, Red, Brown, Pink|
|Special editions:||2 special editions|
Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
With its structured upper, you can expect the Air Max 1 Premium to provide more than adequate support. Depending on its colorway, the shoe can be made with genuine leather, synthetic leather or textile.
This version, which kept its predecessor’s already legendary silhouette, looks plush and elegant with its re-engineered upper that is made with premium materials. Simply pair this stunning footwear with your everyday shorts, sweatpants, and jeans if you wish to look cool and fashionable in an instant.
The Nike Air Max 1 Premium also promises to perform. With its Air Technology equipped midsole, this sneaker ensures to provide all-day comfort whether you’re walking, running or training.
A variety of striking color combinations have been launched for this sneaker. Recent releases include the Dark Stucco and the Ridgerock and Turbo Green. Regardless of color, this shoe is considered by many as perfect casual, training, and everyday footwear.
Here is a detailed styling guide for men and women to rock your Nike Air Max 1 Premium sneaker:
- For Men. The Nike Air Max 1 Premium men’s sneaker is best paired with dark joggers, ankle or cropped pants, or tapered shorts matched with a loose fitting tee, a hoodie, or a pullover. Some versions of the Nike Air Max 1 Premium in solid black, navy, red, or grey, can also be used for night time partying to everyday strolling in the urban jungle.
- For Women. For the ladies, the Nike Air Max 1 Premium in women’s sizes is best paired with denim shorts, leggings or skinny jeans. Women may opt to go for the athleisure fashion styling or a casual street-style look by pairing the sneakers with tattered jeans and jackets. Complete the look with a hoodie, ball cap, beanie or bucket hat for a cool “hypebabe” flair.
Nike’s loyal supporters will instinctively recognize the Nike Air Max 1 Premium shoe for its trendy, unique and classic silhouette. Setting it apart from the OG Nike Air Max 1 is the use of high quality and durable leather materials in the upper that ensures a luxe finish and a stylish look. The Nike Air Max 1 Premium running shoes also feature a visible Air Bubble cushioning that gives the shoe improved stability and lightweight comfort. Also, this sneaker is known for its durable rubber Waffle outsole, which provides the shoe with enhanced traction.
Nine years after the revolutionary Air-Sole technology was conceived and developed, the Air Max 1 was created. Launched initially on March 26, 1987, this unique running shoe model was the first to feature the world-renowned visible Air unit.
The genius behind the idea of embedding an exposed Air system in the shoe’s midsole was Tinker Hatfield. The legendary shoe designer of many iconic Nike and Air Jordan silhouettes came up with the idea to make the sole air unit visible by launching the first Air Max shoes. Hatfield drew Air Max 1’s one-of-a-kind design from the famous inside-out building in Paris called the Centre Georges Pompidou.
The futuristic design and parts including the pipes, ducts, and steel supporting frames were placed outside of the building and highlighted in bright colors. Although initially disliked by the public, it soon became famous for its high-tech design. Quite similar to Air Max 1’s unconcealed Air unit, the same concept was at first rejected by the brand’s marketing team but later on proved to be a huge success.
The design of the first Nike Air Max came to fruition with a tipless vamp reminiscent of the Air Sock Racer and an external heel strap and heel counter similar to the Nike Huarache, which was yet to be released several years later. Hatfield decided to shelve the initial design and work on a model that would then be the Nike Air Max 1.
The first Air Max 1 design revolutionized how we see sneakers today with its visible air cushioning that was designed by Hatfield to be wider for added stability and removed part of the midsole to expose part of the Air Max unit.
As the first sneaker from the brand to have an exposed air-cushioned sole, the release date of the Nike Air Max 1 would also be later on celebrated as Air Max Day.
Special colorways and collaborations
Through the years, the Air Max 1 came out in numerous colorways. The premium version, however, was issued in various colorways namely Nike Air Max 1 Premium “University Red”, Nike Air Max 1 Premium “Grey”, Nike Air Max 1 Premium “White”, Nike Air Max 1 Premium ”Black” and Nike Air Max 1 Premium “Navy” being the model's most famous colorways.
Nike Air Max 1 Premium sneakers have also collaborated with footwear retailers, artists, shoe designers, and influencers through the years. Some of the well-known Nike Air Max 1 collaborations were done with retailer brands like Atmos, Parra, Kid Robot, CLOT, and Patta.
Other favorite colorways and patterns of the Nike Air Max 1 shoe which later became sought after sneakers by resellers and collectors alike include the Curry, Chlorophyll, Safari, Urawa, Hold Tight, Beach Camo, Amsterdam, and Just Do It.
Over the past 30 years, this iconic silhouette of the Nike Air Max 1 continues to transform. Each new version is eagerly welcomed by Nike followers worldwide. The Nike Air Max 1 Premium is among the many crowd favorites in this sought-after collection. Crafted using top-notch materials, it now boasts of seamless design and improved durability.
- Aside from the Air cushioning technology in the shoe's sole, the Air Max 1 Premium also has a PU midsole that provides additional comfort.
- The sneaker’s tongue and collar are lightly padded for a better in-shoe feel.
- The shoe's insoles are removable.
- Its interior is lined with breathable material for lockdown support and superior ventilation.
- Other distinguishable features are the Nike brandings found on the heel and the tongue and the famous “Swoosh” logo located on the lateral and medial side of the shoe.
- A customizable version is also available, which is called the Nike Air Max 1 Premium iD. Purchasers are given the option to choose the material and color they want for the shoe’s upper with an uptick in the price. To top it off, buyers can also change the color of the midsole, outsole and the Air Bubble as well as personalize the tongue label and the heel logo.