Good to know
The Nike Air Huarache Premium gets narrow towards the forefoot and generally runs small. It is advisable to consider getting one size up to appreciate the quality and fit of this sneaker. It may be closely associated with a slip-on shoe that has a sock-like fit, but loosening the laces all the way down would give the foot more ease when wearing this sneaker.
Investing on a shoe horn would also be ideal so as to prolong the lifespan of its heel counter. This shoe is available in medium width for both men and women. It has more color and style options for the women, which are available in sizes 5.5. to 11.5 US, while the men’s sizes are from 8 to 13 US.
The low-top Air Huarache Premium finds its home with sneaker enthusiasts as its sporty and fashionable profile is an attraction to them. Although this edition has varied feminine and masculine styles, it has found to be more favorable among the women consumers. It has a combined neoprene lining that contours to the shape of the foot and premium materials on the upper, highlighted by the heel counter that support the rear side of the shoe. This style pumps up any casual clothing -- from shorts, tapered pants, rolled up skinnies, and any length of skirt.
The unorthodox look of the low-top Nike Air Huarache Premium is what makes it appealing to the sneaker public. It has retained the most recognizable feature of the Huarache which is its neoprene lining, but apart from that, this Premium edition has embossed pattern on its synthetic leather upper and built with an array of high-quality materials, which makes it look more sophisticated than its predecessors.
Over two decades from the time Nike gave the public a glimpse of the Air Huarache, an innovative concept of its superstar designer Tinker Hatfield, this silhouette maintained its presence in the market as it is one of the preferred sneakers for updates and developments. In 2016, Nike came up a high-quality composition of this shoe, the low-top Air Huarache Premium, keeping the bare essentials of its original form.
Following the multi-colored footprints of the Air Huarache we will be guided to the 1990s era when this shoe started to spark interest among the running population. A year before its official launch, Nike began to flirt the market with this unique looking trainer at the New York Marathon selling 5000 pairs through a mock up cleath. The positive response from runners led to its launch in 1991.
This trainer is like a fusion of sandal and cleatie, which integrated a neoprene material on the upper. Huaraches are actually traditional Mexican sandals with pre-Columbian origin used for everyday wear, which eventually became popular in the US market. Wider variations of this footwear emerged over the years such as having the soles taken from used rubber car tires.
Tinker reinvented the huaraches by merging water skiing-inspired materials and integrating the proprietary Nike Air cushioning unit in the sole, giving birth to the Nike Air Huarache with a neoprene cleatie construction that literally hugs the feet like a sock. The running communities embraced this imaginative concept as the Nike Air Huarache offered comfort, cushioning, and protection to the feet, since its soft and durable upper material can resist heat, oil, adhesive, and solvent with superb physical strength.
Nike came up with a series of performance-based silhouettes which were endorsed by celebrities and athletes like the basketball model Air Flight Huarache in 1992. This hoop shoe is built with a tightly snug neoprene cover and a cut-out design for the ankle. With the ankle feature, this shoe became one of the lightweight basketball shoes under the Swoosh brand.
The famous Fab Five, namely Ray Jackson, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King and Chris Webber popularized the Air Flight Huarache on the hardwood followed by other supporters of this design, namely basketball stars Reggie Miller and Kobe Bryant.
In the following years, Nike came up with more varieties of this sock-like trainer with the same cushioned Air unit in the sole. One of which is the Air Huarache International, an improved version of the OG dropped in 1992, which weighed less than the original model with the removal of a bulky heel counter. Another silhouette is the Air Trainer Huarache that had a strap across the middle to give the feet a snug fit.
Nike released two other performance-oriented selections of the Huarache that same year, such as the Air Tech Challenge Huarache and the Air Dynamic Flight. The former had a Lycra upper and synthetic rubber, while the latter is a basketball shoe that did not carry the Huarache label on its name, but was associated with Scottie Pippen who was seen wearing it on the hard court.
This 1991 classic gradually evolved into a fashion footwear, at the turn of the century as the brand responded to the interest of the growing sneaker-loving communities. The Air Huarache’s reappearance starting in 2014 dressed in bolder colors, materials, and textures thrilled even the non-hardcore sneakerheads who welcomed the low-top Air Huarache’s avant-garde style as a refreshing option to pair with their casual get up.
In 2016, Nike went back to the very core of this shoe and introduced a more sophisticated and elegant looking version, the Air Huarache Premium, which had suede overlays and synthetic materials, including a reptile-like leather, suede, and mesh with the distinct neoprene sock resembling upper and translucent heel counter. The premium composition of this versatile, easy-to-wear sneaker elevates its quality and fashion appeal to a very high level, much to the delight even of several personalities.
- This low top Nike Air Huarache is called a Premium edition as it is made up of high-quality materials, which are more costly than other standard Air Huarache models.
- The upper of the low-top Nike Air Huarache Premium is a combination of textile and textured synthetic leather.
- Neoprene is the first synthetic rubber product ever made, which is very flexible in a variety of temperature ranges. It is commonly used is dry suits, orthopedic braces, and laptop sleeves, among many others.
- Its padded tongue has perforations that enhance the sneaker’s comfort and breathability.
- The heel counter, or the strap that stretches from the rear end of the shoe towards the midfoot, offers supportive and stable fit.
- The encapsulated proprietary Air cushioning units are embedded in the heel and forefoot areas of the midsole. It is the same cushioning property used in the Air Max series.
- The durable rubber outsole has pods strategically placed in high-wear areas for strength and grip.
- The Air sole units lie on a bed of lightweight and responsive Phylon foam midsole.
- Waffle tread pattern on the outsole offers good traction.
- Celebrities who were spotted wearing the Nike Air Huarache Premium are American fashion models and siblings Bella and Gigi Hadid, Maxim magazine’s 2017 most beautiful woman in the world Hailey Baldwin, fashion designer and former Spice Girl member Victoria Beckham, American actress Whitney Port, reality TV personalities Khloe Kardashian and Jamie Chung, and Portuguese soccerer Cristiano Ronaldo.