With the release of the Summit QOM, New Balance has successfully designed an everyday trail shoe that is versatile enough to tackle the roads and trails. The comfort, protection, and durability make the shoe a real queen of the trail.
New Balance Summit QOM: Technologies and design
- Engineered Air Mesh – It is designed to give the foot a comfortable and breathable upper coverage, especially on warm running conditions.
- Toe Protect – It gives the foot an additional layer of protection.
- REVlite Foam – A lightweight midsole foam which is designed to deliver responsive and comfortable underfoot cushioning.
- Rock Stop Plate – A flexible layer placed in between the outsole and midsole which serves as a shield from rocks and other sharp trail elements.
- Vibram MegaGrip Outsole – A tough outsole compound that provides exceptional grip on varied surfaces and durability for long-term
Performance of the New Balance Summit QOM
When it comes to performance, the New Balance Summit QOM is truly impressive. In all aspects, from the cushioning to the outsole grip, this shoe is superb.
It is not as heavy as compared to other protective trail shoes I owned. I have a pair of Salomon trail shoe and it is grippy and protective as well, but it is too heavy.
The Summit QOM has become my partner on the trail for a few months already. The shoe never fails to amaze me. The cushioning remains responsive, and the outsole is really grippy. By wearing this shoe, I can tackle muddy and slippery surfaces with confidence. I feel secure on uphill and downhill runs.
Next to traction, foot protection is another feature I like about the Summit QOM. The Rock Stop Plate and Toe Protect work perfectly. At every step, I am assured that my foot is well-protected.
The New Balance Summit QOM is also durable. It is packed with elements that can withstand harsh elements on the roads and the mountains.
The New Balance Summit QOM is available in standard and wide width options. I have a medium measurement, but the shoe felt too tight, both in the heel and forefoot. Wearing a thin sock solves the issue slightly.
Comfort and breathability
The Summit QOM is one of the breathable and comfortable running shoes I have.
I have no problem wearing this shoe on hot weather – no sweat, no hot feeling. Thanks also to the no-sew construction that provided my foot a smooth in-shoe feel. The comfort and breathability of this shoe are top-notch.
- Extremely durable
- Comfortable cushioning
- Breathable upper coverage
- Reliable traction on varied trail surfaces
- Durable underfoot and toe protection
- Affordable trail running shoe
- Narrow fit in the forefoot and heel area
This trail running shoe rules! The New Balance Summit QOM is impressively durable and very protective.
The tight fit in the forefoot and heel section is just a small issue. This shoe is affordable yet almost perfect. Trail runners should give this shoe a try.
Good to know
- The New Balance Summit QOM is a running shoe that’s made for the trails. It has a platform designed for neutral pronators and those who desire extra cushioning during those off-road adventures. A rubber under-pad protects against wear-and-tear while also ensuring grip over the surfaces.
- A mesh exterior blends with a stitched-on wraparound saddle and printed overlays to provide a snug and secure fit. A protective barrier on the toe area keeps debris and other elements at bay.
The New Balance Summit QOM was constructed using the standard measurements. When it comes to size, runners are welcome to get a pair using their usual sizing expectations, though it would be helpful to try on the shoe first to get a pleasant in-shoe experience. The available widths are B – Medium and D – Wide. This shoe is optimized to welcome the foot-dimensions of women.
The outsole unit of this New Balance trail running shoe features Vibram® rubber, which is a generous layer of protection that staves off the debilitating effects of wear-and-tear. It is also responsible for providing grip over the unpredictable terrains.
Gripping lugs pockmark the surface of the outsole. These protrusions face multiple directions to exhibit control over many types of topography. Upward and downward traversals won’t be a problem because of these talon-like features.
Forefoot flex grooves are meant to make the platform more adherent to the bending capacity of the foot, particularly when lifting off the ground.
REVLite is a full-length platform that carries the foot throughout the gait cycle. It is touted to be 30% sturdier and more responsive than most of the midsole foams that are on the market.
ROCKSTOP is a thin yet highly durable layer that’s placed between the midsole and outsole. The job of this component is to protect the foot against sharp objects on the trails.
A sockliner is placed on top of the primary midsole component. Its job is to add a bit more cushioning for the underfoot. It can be removed or replaced with another insert.
Mesh serves as the upper unit of the New Balance Summit QOM. This cloth-like fabric has minute pores that accommodate air into the foot-chamber. It is also lightweight and flexible.
Synthetic overlays are printed onto strategic areas of the façade. These thin layers aim to support the foot and keep it in place.
A wraparound panel encompasses the medial and lateral sides as well as the heel. This overlay is stitched in place, reinforcing the shoe’s silhouette and helping the lacing system in providing a secure fit.
The Toe Protect is a semi-thick shield placed on the forefoot section of this running shoe. The job of this technology is to prevent stones, rough surfaces, and other trail rubbish from hitting the toe-box and causing injury.