Although the New Balance Rainier Remastered is a unisex model, it is only available in men’s sizes from 7 to 13 in medium width. It has a lace-up closure looped on a D-ring eyelet for a secure fit. This mid-top shoe has a well-padded ankle collar and tongue for a comfortable fit and enhanced ankle support. This pair generally runs true to size.
The New Balance Rainier Remastered is a mid-top silhouette with full-grain leather and nylon upper. These materials successfully blended the luxurious vibe and the athletic appeal of this pair. Although this model looks more of a hiking cleat, NB boasts about its lightness and comfort just like wearing a sneaker. The HL170 Remastered is offered in 2 earth-tone colorways. Most wearers suggest of sporting this with joggers, rolled up skinny pants or even shorts. Some women can be spotted donning this with their dresses or leggings.
The shiny and high-rate leather upper of the New Balance Rainier Remastered makes this very notable for many buyers. This full-grain leather adds luxurious flair and at the same time delivers durability to this pair.
In 1982, New Balance and mountaineer Lou Whittaker, of the Rainier Mountaineering, collaborated to come up with a hiking cleat. They wanted to create a lightweight cleat that they could use when ascending the Mount Everest North Wall.
New Balance dubbed this cleat as the HL170 Rainier. This cleat was a breakthrough for the outdoor industry. Historically, cleats are heavy and rigid that is why NB and Whittaker designed a lightweight and durable pair to improve the mobility of the wearers and has better ventilation.
More than 30 years had passed, the Rainier is back from the archive. The Rainier Remastered features the same elements of the first version but with updated materials. New Balance used the HL170 silhouette and incorporated waterproofing material and a more grippy rubber outsole.
- The Gore-Tex inner lining provides waterproof protection and enhances the durability of this pair.
- The flying “NB” logo from the 80s was replaced by the N logo in the Remastered version.
- The ballistic nylon on the upper is a very durable and abrasion resistant material. It was intended for military workforces to shield them from bullets, shrapnels and ballistic impacts.
- The lugged rubber Vibram outsole provides grip on uneven terrain and on wet exteriors.
- The pigskin inner lining adds plush comfort and luxurious appeal.