Updates to New Balance Leather 928 v3
- The third iteration of the New Balance 928 brings with it comfort for all-day use. The brand lifted successful features from the first two versions to deliver a product that satisfies the needs of consumers.
- As the name implies, the Leather 928 v3 is the leather variation of the original New Balance 928 v3. The foot is wrapped in a supportive leather material, but the collar is lined with mesh to keep the inside ventilated.
- The midsole of the shoe is made of compression molded ethylene-vinyl acetate (CMEVA), a type of foam with shock-absorbing properties. The midfoot and forefoot areas have an additional ABZORB unit to keep the foot comfortable with each step.
- The shoe is equipped with technologies that control the movement of the foot for a steady gait. The Rollbar at the heel section is a posting system that limits rearfoot movement. The Walking Strike Path enhances stability as it guides the foot through the walking gait cycle.
- Lining the underside of the footwear is the Ndurance rubber compound. This material is durable and provides traction on most surfaces.
Size and fit
The New Balance Leather 928 v3 comes in both men’s and women’s sizes and generally runs true to size. Like most walking shoes from New Balance, it is available in B - Narrow, D - Medium, 2E - Wide, 4E - Extra Wide, 6E - Extra Wide width options for the men’s version. The women’s model is obtainable in 2A - Narrow, B - Medium, D - Wide, 2E - Extra Wide, 4E - Extra Wide widths.
The Ndurance rubber makes up the bottom of the New Balance Leather 928 v3. This proprietary technology is designed to be able to withstand the wear and tear of everyday use. It provides traction on most surfaces. It is also non-marking, so it doesn’t leave scuff marks on polished floors. The rear section has a slight slope that allows the footwear to land softly and roll to the flat part of the outsole with ease.
This model also employs the Walking Strike Path innovation. It is an off-centered band of rubber that guides the foot during the walking gait cycle so that it smoothly rolls from the heel to the toes with each step. Flex grooves are also present in the forefoot area to assist in flexion.
The New Balance Leather 928 v3 employs various technologies for its midsole to ensure a comfortable footbed. The primary platform is made from CMEVA, a type of foam that is resilient, so it doesn’t compress quickly, but is still soft to attenuate the shock from each stride.
Extending from the midfoot to the toes is the ABZORB technology. This component serves as an extra layer of impact-absorbing cushioning that prevents pain or discomfort in the lower extremities.
The Rollbar® posting system fortifies the heel section. It is made of a molded plate under the heel that connects the medial and the lateral postings to reduce rear foot movement. The structure prevents overpronation and supination as it doesn't allow the foam midsole to compress.
The cushioning unit is shaped like a rocker which aids in the heel-to-toe-off motion. It minimizes the stress on the ball and the toes of the foot as the rocking motion reduces the need for plantar flexion.
The Leather 928 v3 also has a removable polyurethane (PU) sockliner. The material has anti-microbial properties to prevent the growth of odor- and infection-causing microorganisms. It is soft and provides an additional layer of protection to the foot. Users have the option of replacing the insert with orthotic insoles if needed.
The upper of the New Balance Leather 928 v3 is made from leather. This material is supportive and gives the top part of the shoe its structure. Perforations are present in the vamp to allow heat to dissipate.
Leather overlays are present in the toe box to protect it from impact and abrasion. It is also found in the midfoot area, providing additional lateral support when the laces are tightened. The material also serves as an external heel counter that anchors the foot to the midsole and prevents it from wobbling.
The footwear uses a traditional lacing system with round laces to keep the foot securely in place. The padded tongue serves as a barrier between the laces and the instep, keeping the top of the foot comfortable.
The plush collar also helps in locking the foot down to prevent it from slipping out of the unit while the user is in motion. It is lined with mesh fabric to ventilate the foot chamber.
The interior of the Leather 928 v3 has a Phantom Liner for a great in-shoe feel. This seamless material delivers a sock-like fit that prevents blisters.