|Base model:||New Balance FuelCell|
|Weight:||Men: 8.2oz | Women: 6.7oz|
|Heel to toe drop:||Men: 6mm | Women: 6mm|
|Arch type:||High arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Midfoot strike|
|Heel height:||Men: 23mm | Women: 23mm|
|Forefoot height:||Men: 17mm | Women: 17mm|
|Release date:||Jul 2018|
|Width:||Men: Normal, Wide | Women: Normal, Wide, X-Wide|
|Colorways:||Red, Blue, Black, Grey|
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
90 / 100 based on 5 expert reviews
New Balance FuelCell Impulse: Light and fastMore photos
Designed for lighter and faster running experience, the New Balance FuelCell Impulse has been a successful release. The shoe features a bootie construction for a more personalized fit and many other great things to make your daily running truly satisfying.
New Balance FuelCell Impulse - Technologies and Design
- Jacquard Knit – A thin, lightweight material designed for breathability. The knit is also stretchable to give the foot a customized fit.
- Bootie Construction – The design gives the foot a speed-ready fit. It also gives a smooth, glove-like fit.
- FuelCell Technology – It is a nitrogen-fused TPU midsole compound strategically placed under the forefoot for an elastic toe-off.
- REVlite Foam – It is a lightweight midsole foam designed to deliver responsiveness and comfortable underfoot protection.
- Blown Rubber – Aside from the exposed REVlite foam, the rest of the outsole is made up of a blown rubber compound. This material gives outsole protection without affecting flexibility and grip.
Performance and durability of the New Balance FuelCell Impulse
The shoe is designed to go fast; it is best for uptempo training and long-distance runs. Good thing that the speedy-ready design of the Impulse does not affect foot protection.
When it comes to the ride quality, the shoe offered a high amount of rebound and flexibility, making every step more powerful and smooth. The ground contact is just right, though I felt a lack of cushioning in the heel.
While the performance of the shoe is impressive, the durability of the outsole is my major concern. The blown rubber compound, as well as the exposed midsole foam, is not sturdy enough for the roads.
They started ripping off even after only a few miles. I was a bit disappointed that the shoe is not as durable as my other New Balance running shoes.
The shoe features a classic New Balance fit. The knit upper of the FuelCell Impulse provided a personalized fit. It felt snug and hugs the foot comfortably. It has a wider forefoot section and a narrower heel, almost copying the shape of the foot. The absence of the heel counter does not create any issue at all.
Comfort and breathability
The bootie construction of the FuelCell Impulse offered extreme comfort even on long-distance runs. I have been running in this shoe without wearing socks, and the comfort is truly impressive – no hotspot, no blister.
The knit upper is very breathable as well. It is very light and thin enough for the air to pass through. On hot days, a sweaty foot is not one of my problems.
- Responsive cushioning
- Reliable traction
- Impressive fit
- Versatile; can be worn on casual days
- Outsole is not durable
Overall, I like the FuelCell Impulse. It is responsive, lightweight, flexible and comfortable.
Though the outsole is not as durable as I expected it to be, I’m happy with the overall performance of the shoe. I may not be able to wear this pair longer, but I’m just glad I had tried this shoe.
This expert has been verified by RunRepeat. Reviews are neutral, unbiased and based on extensive testing.
You feel like you're ready to run fast when you've got them on.
This shoe is best utilized for fast running, workouts, or races for those looking for a more cushioned racing flat or workout shoe.
Testers lauded this fit for tempo runs and interval days, saying the shoe felt secure while also offering ample wiggle room for the forefoot during toe-off.
That sleek upper construction along with strategic use of rubber on the outsole makes this shoe check in lightweight, as tested at the Runner’s World Shoe Lab.
- The New Balance FuelCell Impulse is a road shoe that’s designed to handle exercises and other training activities. It makes use of a two-piece cushioning system to ease the transitions through the gait cycle. The platform drives the foot to move forward with energy and sureness.
- Blown rubber serves as the outsole unit of this product. It doles out traction yet it also adds a bit more cushioning for the underfoot. Shallow grooves and non-prominent traction nodes encourage flexibility and surface grip, respectively.
- A cloth-like material called jacquard mesh conforms to the shape and motion of the foot, giving way for a snug yet accommodating fit. A cleatie construction with a smooth internal lining evokes the feeling of merely wearing a sock.
The New Balance FuelCell Impulse is a bit small. Runners are encouraged to get a pair that is half-a-size larger than the usual or to try out the shoe before purchasing it. When it comes to width, the available options are D – Medium and 2E – Wide for men, and B – Medium and D – Wide for women.
The VL-6 last is specially designed for performance running. Its design focuses on a semi-curved yet form-fitting shape. The heights of the forefoot and the toe box are of the usual.
Blown rubber is used in the forefoot and heel of the New Balance FuelCell Impulse. This material is traction-ready, yet it’s soft enough to add some more cushioning. It is also flexible.
Superficial grooves and inconspicuous traction nodes have the purpose of improving flexibility and surface grip. These elements fundamentally help in making each step as sure and as confident as possible.
RevLite is a cushioning compound that is lightweight and responsive. It is responsible for receiving the impact shock during the landing phase of the gait cycle and dispersing it. This foam also carries the full weight of the body. Its lateral and medial sides have raised sections to keep the foot steady. This foam is also inserted in the midsole of the NB 890 v6 running shoe.
FuelCell is a nitrogen-infused unit that is fashioned in the forefoot section. The purpose of such a configuration is to allow this bouncy component to drive the toe-off, giving it energy and speed.
Jacquard mesh makes up the external part of the New Balance FuelCell Impulse’s upper unit. This material has a cloth-like disposition; it does not look shiny or plastic-y, unlike most mesh-type textiles. It has ventilation holes that accommodate the natural flow of air into the interior chamber.
A traditional tongue unit is not employed in this running shoe. Instead, a cleatie construction with a one-piece opening is utilized here. This encompassing aperture aims to hug the foot and prevent it from exiting the shoe unintentionally.
The interior lining is made up of a soft fabric. Its job is to prevent hot spots and skin irritation.
A pull tab on the heel collar allows the runner to wear and remove this shoe effortlessly.
An external counter with the letters ‘NB’ emblazoned on it is meant to hold the heel in place and prevent in-shoe wobbling.