Shoes with optimum cushioning, lateral support, and flexibility for daily workouts and studio sessions. See workout shoes
Versatile, low-profile shoes for constantly varied exercises including plyometrics, sprinting, weightlifting, and rope climbing. See CrossFit shoes
Shoes for daily wear that ensure a smooth walking gait cycle. Check out walking shoes
For people with normal pronation. Also provide support for high-arched feet with underpronation (excessive outward rolling of the foot). See neutral training shoes
For people with low-arched or flat feet and moderate overpronation (excessive inward rolling of the foot). See stability training shoes
Shoes feature stabilizing technologies for people with severe overpronation. See motion control training shoes
Good to know
Stability and motion control add-ons are uncommon for workout shoes and are never present in CrossFit or weightlifting footwear. They are mostly found in walking shoes where the gait is easier to correct.
WidthMen: Extra wide, Narrow, Standard, WideWomen: Extra wide, Narrow, Standard, Wide
Release dateJan 2017
Updates to New Balance 928 v3
- The New Balance 928 v3 is a walking shoe designed to deliver all-day comfort and motion control. The second version of this model was short-lived as many consumers did not like the narrow toe box. This model takes the successful elements of the first two versions and makes a few updates to deliver a comfortable ride.
- The upper is made from a combination of mesh and synthetic materials. The mesh fabric ensures that the interior is well ventilated while the synthetic overlays provide support and protection where it is needed.
- The full-length compression molded ethylene-vinyl acetate (CMEVA) makes up the midsole of this model. In addition, an ABZORB unit is placed in the midfoot to reduce the shock that travels through the foot upon impact.
- The trainer is designed for people with moderate to severe overpronation as it features the Rollbar technology under the heel. It is a posting system which reduces unwanted rear foot movement and keeps the foot stable.
- Another innovation that assists in the gait cycle is the Walking Strike Path at the outsole unit. It is a band of rubber that ensures the smooth transition from the heel to the toes with each step.
- The Ndurance rubber compound lines the bottom of this shoe. It is designed to be durable to withstand the wear-and-tear of everyday use.
New Balance 928 v3 size and fit
The New Balance 928 v3 comes in both men’s and women’s sizes and typically runs true to size. It is available in D - Medium, 2E - Wide, 4E - Extra Wide and 6E - Extra Wide width options for the men’s version. The women’s model is offered in B - Medium, D - Wide and 2E - Extra Wide widths.
The New Balance 928 v3 employs the Ndurance rubber, a proprietary technology that is designed to be extremely durable even when used on hard pavements. This compound also has a textured pattern to offer traction on most outdoor surfaces as well as grooves for flexibility. The rubber is non-marking which implies that it does not leave scuff marks on floors. Its rear portion has a slight bevel which provides a smooth transition to the flat part of the outsole.
The outsole features an off-centered band of rubber known as the Walking Strike Path technology. It serves to guide the foot throughout the walking gait cycle, ensuring that it rolls smoothly from the heel to the toes. The flex grooves in the forefoot also promote flexion.
The midsole of the New Balance 928 v3 is made from CMEVA. It is a type of foam that does not readily get compressed but is soft enough to cushion the impact of each step.
The ABZORB cushioning technology lines the midfoot area, extending to the front of the midsole. It serves as an additional layer of shock-absorbing material to prevent discomfort or injuries in the lower extremities.
The Rollbar posting system in the heel section makes this model a motion control walking shoe. This technology consists of a molded TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) plate that connects the medial and the lateral postings to reduce rearfoot movement. The firm material also prevents the midsole from compressing at the sides to avoid overpronation and supination.
The rocker-shaped midsole reduces plantar flexion. It helps in the heel-to-toe-off motion, removing the stress from the ball of the foot and the toes.
Inside the shoe is the removable polyurethane (PU) sockliner. It has anti-microbial properties to ensure a healthy foot environment and has a plush characteristic that adds comfort.
The New Balance 928 v3 utilizes a mesh fabric for the upper. This material allows air to flow into the foot chamber to keep it fresh. It is also soft to promote mobility.
Synthetic overlays line various sections of the upper. They are found in the toe box to protect it from impact and abrasion. They are also placed in the midfoot area to provide lateral support. At the back, they serve as an external heel counter to prevent the foot from wobbling.
Inside the shoe is the Phantom Liner. This sock-like material provides a seamless interior to reduce irritation or blister formation.
The trainer uses a traditional lace-up closure that keeps the foot securely in place. The padded tongue prevents the round laces from cutting into the instep. It also has a plush collar that locks the foot down to avoid accidental shoe removal.
- The New Balance 928 v3 not only comes in a range of different width profiles but also in a selection of various upper materials. While the original shoe features a mesh-and-synthetic upper, other variations of the trainer include leather and suede.
- In its turn, the leather model is offered in two closure options: one with a traditional lacing system and the other one with twin hook-and-loop straps.