|Update:||New Balance 880 v9|
|Weight:||Men: 11.1oz | Women: 9oz|
|Heel to toe drop:||Men: 10mm | Women: 10mm|
|Arch type:||High arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Heel strike|
|Distance:||Daily running | Long distance | Marathon|
|Heel height:||Men: 29mm | Women: 29mm|
|Forefoot height:||Men: 19mm | Women: 19mm|
|Type:||Heavy | Big guy|
|Width:||Men: Normal | Women: Narrow, Normal, Wide|
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
82 / 100 based on 6 expert reviews
A neutral shoe with a nice midsole for cushioning, a nice toe box for room/for the expansion of the toe splay, and a nice fit overall.
Aside from the absence of Fresh Foam, the NB880 delivers very good cushioning and the newly designed, no-sew upper will stay comfortable for many miles.
The 880 was totally overhauled and given a more balanced midsole providing lasting comfort mile after mile.
The BIG improvements in the 880v6 are in the fit and feel.
I like my shoes to fade into the background during runs. That’s exactly what these shoes did.
The New Balance 880v6 is a solid, durable neutral trainer.
- The New Balance 880 v6 encourages more air to enter and keep the foot cool and dry. Shifting away from the upper design of the 880v5, this one places its overlay system on the lateral and medial sides of the mid-foot. Most of the front mesh is free from covering, thus providing a well-ventilated running experience for runners.
- The holes in the upper unit are more visible for this iteration. It certainly highly promotes breathable coverage, thus making the shoe more comfortable in hot conditions and for longer runs.
- The collar and tongue has more padding in this version, so it can secure the foot in it and keep it snug at all times. This added mechanic prevents accidental shoe-removals or slips.
- The forefoot area of the sole unit was slightly raised for the New Balance 880v6. Its purpose is to provide an increased springiness in the forefoot section for a more efficient toe off phase. High quality cushioning systems with bouncy qualities make the propulsive toe-offs possible.
- A thicker Blown Rubber outsole with rounded pods on the surface gives additional cushioning while providing responsible traction and protection.
The New Balance 880 v6 is true to its size, just like the 880 v8. Runners will be able to choose the correct size that suits their preferences. It has a medium width when it comes to its heel and mid-foot sections. The toe area is from medium to narrow. It can surely accommodate those with medium and narrow foot shapes.
Blown Rubber is a high quality material that makes up the outsole unit of the 880 v6. It’s been frequently used in this series, but for this model, New Balance has changed the design of the outsole surface. Now, it has circular pods instead of flat sections, which was meant to allow a bit more propulsive cushioning on top of the durable protection and traction.
The ACTEVA™ is a highly engineered compression molded foam that’s 24% lighter than most mid-sole foams. It offers durable cushioning that doesn’t lose its structural integrity even after multiple uses.
The ABZORB® foam is a highly resilient and reliable material. It features a mix of Dupont Engage Isoprene rubber and New Balance’s own materials for long lasting and efficient performance during each run. This foam can be found separately in the forefoot and heel areas, therefore providing shock absorption during heel striking and toe offs.
Breathable air mesh makes up most of the upper unit of this running shoe. It’s been crafted to allow more breathable properties for a more comfortable running experience. Holes have been strategically placed on the upper to let air in and maintain a well-ventilated interior for the runner.
The overlay system on the lateral and medial sides work with the lacing system to help the wearer customize the fit to match their needs. When the shoelaces are adjusted, the overlays react and affect the upper fabric to follow the tightness or looseness of the laces.