Extremely popular sneakers because of their price range, versatility when it comes to style, and freedom of movement. Almost everyone is guaranteed to have low-top sneakers in their shoe rotation.
Mid-top sneakers extend toward the ankle for a little more support and hold. These lie somewhere in the middle between low-top and high-top sneakers in terms of usage and popularity.
Sneakers with collars that go above the ankles for optimal hold and support are some of the most sought-after models in lifestyle shoes. Most of these shoes take their roots from basketball and have easily or fashionably crossed to mainstream wear.
Good to know
Regardless of cut, it's always good to start with sneakers that can be worn for the daily grind, also called as "beaters" by some, as these are usually cheaper, easy to clean, and still gives that lifestyle "edge" before going for those wallet-thinning models.
Sneakers dominantly take their heritage from running, basketball, skate, tennis, training, hiking, and football. Still retaining a few of their performance-based technologies, these sneakers have transcended their respective niches and have successfully and popularly transformed themselves as staples of fashion footwear.
Sneakers designed for a laidback, "cool" vibe that is built for lifestyle wear right from the get-go.
Good to know
Brands are now blending elements of performance and casual appeal in basically every sneaker. One can hardly go wrong with a sports-inspired sneaker or a simple casual shoe.
Good to know
Shoes sharing the same inspiration, history, materials, or technologies are routinely assembled under one compilation for the convenience of those who may wish to categorize or label their own collection as such. The classic collections like the Adidas Originals, Air Max 1, Air Force 1, new balance classic sneakers, and the Classic Leather head the pack of frequently asked about collections.
Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
New Balance 868 History
New Balance started in 1906 as a manufacturer of arch support and orthopedic footwear. Since the beginning, they have been known as a company that provides quality shoes. Eventually, they further diversified their products to reach various consumers. Their unique slogan “Endorsed by No One” made them stand out among other shoe brands.
The New Balance Numeric, also known as NB#, is a sub-brand that carries skateboarding shoes. This sub-brand hasn’t stopped in delivering quality footwear to various calibers of skateboarders. Lately, the NB# has been unearthing some of its successful profiles from the archive and re-imagine it with technologies and various ideas.
The NB 868 is another offering of the NB Numerics. It features a profile similar to the running shoe because it was influenced by iconic NB runners. This pair has been injected with loads of technologies making this the most technically advanced shoe of the NB#.
New Balance 868 Style
The New Balance 868 features an uncommon skateboarding silhouette. It has the combination of mesh and suede upper protected by the N-dure tech with numerous perforations. Overall, the NB 868 is a durable, well ventilated and lightweight footwear that is suitable for all-day wearing. The versatility of this shoe is undeniable, from the casual city cruising to sporty skateboarding. Many users wear this with their baggy pants and oversized tees and plaids and hats. Wearers can nearly sport the NB 868 with any casual activities.
Fit & Sizing
The New Balance 868 is a highly technical skateboarding shoe of the NB#. It features the well-padded collar, tongue and heel and the NB C-Cap in the midsole. These features give optimum comfort and secure fit for the gaps, stairs and primos. The N2 cushioning found in the heel gives stability and impact protection. It has the traditional lace-up closure for a secure fit. The heel pull tab is present for easiness in putting on this pair. This pair runs small, that is why many users suggest grabbing a half size up than the usual size of the buyers. This pair is available in me’s sizes in medium width from size 6 to 13 US.
The New Balance 868 showcases a running shoe silhouette which surprises many buyers. Most of them wonder how the shoe will fit and how the wearer will skate using a bulky profile of a running shoe. New Balance has made some tweak that will make this running inspired shoe apt for skating. They tapered the midfoot to toe area and flattened around the toe. NB also used the FantomFit tech to reinforce the upper thus maintaining the shape after a whole day skating. Overall, the shape may be uncommon, but with all the technologies injected into it, the New Balance 868 is definitely a good choice to skate on.
- The New Balance 868 heel features the N2 technology that is responsible for the stability and impact protection in an area that skaters need it the most. The N2 is executed in a low-profile manner for a responsive, durable and sustainable cushioning.
- The C-CAP midsole is responsible for the cushioning and support.
- The closed cell PU insert provides optimum impact protection and consistent fit.
- The Fantom tape gives bonded lightweight support in strategic areas.
- The upper is called FantomFit which gives a superb lightweight support and fit. It is formed by combining two materials using the no-sew process.
- The toe is protected using the internal toe protection this toe protector also responsible for the durability of this pair.
- The rubber compound used in the outsole is made of N-Durance. This maximizes the durability of the shoe.
- It also uses dual-durometer EVA materials inside the midsole complemented by the PU insole. These elements help the wearers climb the stairs with less effort.
- The iconic big N is found on the side using no-sew technique for a lighter footwear.
- This pair uses cupsole for much more durable, flexible and better board feel.
- The suede upper of this sneaker is coated with the Ndure technology, which gives 20% more durability to this pair.