Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
The New Balance 1978 is made with soft leather and suede upper that provides a glove-like fit. The brand used deconstructed collar for added style and to maximize the range of motion. To further elevate the comfort, the brand added perforations all over for breathability. Meanwhile, the lace up closure system is present to provide its users a secure fit.
The low-top New Balance 1978 features the classic NB 990 silhouette. It showcases all the Made in the USA design elements like premium materials and detailed stitching. The first class leather upper provides the luxurious appeal and was finished off with contrasting stitching and perforations for more personality. Most of the wearers sport the New Balance 1978 with jeans, joggers or shorts for their everyday wear.
The most notable feature of the New Balance 1978 is its upper that is made of premium leather and suede. Most buyers liked this material as it adds a luxurious appeal. Another feature that made a notable mark for many fans is the deconstructed leather collar and tongue. These features add some little personality to this pair.
In 1978, New Balance started conceptualizing the NB 990. It took them four years to finish the design and was finally released in 1982. The New Balance 990 series has been tagged as the most innovative shoe design in the industry.
The original 990 displays a conservative silhouette with Vibraflex sole and motion control device at the heels. This provided the wearer stability, cushioning and flexibility all in one shoe. After it was launched, many doubters arose as the NB 990 has a price tag that is much higher than its rivals. But remarkably, the 990 was able to reach 10x than its projected sales.
In honor of the brand’s best sneaker, New Balance revamped the 990 and named it the New Balance 1978, the year they started designing the 990. The NB 1978 is focused on offering a modern take on the classic 990. They used premium materials and sleek details for a stylish design of the New Balance 1978.
- The Vibram® outsole delivers utmost surface contact and multi-directional traction. This injected-molded sole is said to be lighter, more flexible and more durable than the IMEVA soles.
- The N insignia has reflective underlays.
- The New Balance 1978 is the first silhouette designed under the “Style of Your Life” evolutionary concept. That concept aims to provide adaptability for the modern stylish consumers.
- The New Balance 1978 is the result of 2 ½ years of passion project for Global Design Director for NB Lifestyle, Brad Lacey.
- The NB 1978 is made in roughly 190 miles apart. The upper is manufactured in Norridgewock while the Vibram soles are constructed in Boston.
- The New Balance Made in the USA products has been manufacturing for more than 75 years and signifies a certain percentage of the company’s US sales.
- For a product to be dubbed as ‘New Balance Made in US’, 70% of its element must be sourced or constructed in the US.