DiscontinuedUpdate: Merrell Moab FST 2
Made of lightweight materials. They don't have much top-of-the-foot coverage so they're mostly suitable for well-maintained trails and summer hikes. Also useful for crossing rivers and streams. They come in open and closed-toe designs. See the best hiking sandals.
The low-cut equivalent of hiking boots. Comfort is paramount in the creation of these shoes so they often have flexible materials. Generally used for day hikes. See hiking shoes.
Mid to high-cut models designed for more aggressive hikes and backpacking. See hiking boots.
Specialized footwear. Often insulated and used in technical routes, ice climbing or expeditions. See mountaineering boots.
Good to know
For hikes that won't last for more than a day, go with hiking sandals or hiking shoes. Tackling trails with greater challenges will require hiking boots or mountaineering boots.
For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 13.4ozWomen: 11.4oz
WidthMen: Normal, WideWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
85 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
They have the breathability of a tennis shoe.
The Moabs are shoes that I really like but which are a touch too tight for me.
The popularity of this product line from Merrell indicates that many hikers aren't looking for the most aggressive, do-it-all shoe. It's a great shoe for many seasons of day hikes on trails that don't demand the highest level of support, foot protection, or water resistance (read: most trails).
Updates to Merrell Moab FST
- Merrell created a lighter version of its popular day hiking shoe, and the result is the Moab FST. Forming the upper of this footwear are TPU overlays and mesh for breathability.. It can also render protection with its bellows tongue and an upfront adjustment thru its pull tabs located on the heel and top of the tongue.
- Its midsole uses a contoured EVA footbed with M Select FIT.ECO. This delivers support, cushioning and keeps the feet fresh by breaking down odor. Further support is provided by the molded nylon shank. The Air Cushion in the heel absorbs shock from impacts.
- Known to be grippy on surfaces, Merrell has incorporated the Vibram Megagrip to these shoes. This compound is developed and designed to perform on a variety of outdoor activities.
Merrell Moab FST size and fit
The Merrell Moab FST men’s version is offered in both medium and wide widths. The women’s variant comes in medium width only. The shoe is available in standard sizes. It fairly runs true to size. It also has a lace-up closure to give the hiker a snug fit.
Merrell Moab FST utilizes the Vibram Megagrip outsole that has a 5mm lug depth. It is deliberately designed to be moldable in different ways to meet the diverse needs of users. It is known to for its grip on a variety of surfaces and its sticky yet wear-resistant compound.
The midsole of the Moab FST features Merrell’s M Select FIT.ECO blended EVA foam. It cradles the foot for support and cushioning. This footbed is also infused with an odor control formula that helps in maintaining the freshness of the in-shoe environment.
The molded nylon arch shank gives stability to users. Shanks promote correct gait and support the arches of the foot. With a nylon shank, this shoe also renders flexibility. The air cushion in the heel minimizes the impact by attenuating shock.
Merrell Moab FST maintains a breathable upper through its mesh and TPU construction. Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) is known for its high tensile strength and abrasion resistance. The TPU overlays add structure to the shoe.
This day hiking shoe features a bellows tongue for added protection against debris. It has the classic lace-up closure, which together with the pull tabs on the heel and the top of the tongue, allows a smoother fit adjustment.
- In cleaning and caring for the shoe, Merrell recommends brushing surface dirt with a soft bristled brush regularly. In cases of an extended, rugged use, wash with mild soap and warm water. Rinse thoroughly. Remove the insoles and laces. Let them dry separately. Do not expose to heat.
- Moab means Mother of All Boots.
- FST means Fit + Superior Traction.