For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WidthMen: Normal, WideWomen: Normal
- This iteration of the Moab Edge still aims to give instant comfort to outdoor enthusiasts. The designers gave the upper a cleaner look. Its precursor employed four sets of webbing loops and two pairs of metal eyelets. But in this version, the design team decided to retire the pair of metal eyelets at the top.
- Exiting the Moab Edge 2 is the M Select Fit.Eco footbed and Merrell Air Cushion (in the heel). These features are replaced with the Kinetic Fit Base insole which grants cushioning and support without the bulk. The shoe is kept odor-free thanks to the incorporation of the M Select Fresh technology.
- The M Select Grip outsole took the place of the Vibram TC5+. This brand-owned material yields surface traction from urban settings to backcountry trails.
The Merrell men’s Moab Edge 2 is a low-top day hiking shoe which fairly runs true to size. It is available in medium (standard) width only. A range of full and half sizes are offered. Users can customize the overall fit thanks to its straightforward lace-up closure.
The Moab Edge 2 from Merrell wears the M Select Grip outsole. It makes the shoe adherent to most terrain types. The design of this unit is created with traction and durability in mind. The various shapes and sizes of its 5 mm deep lugs are strategically positioned to maintain its ground grip. The sole is slightly extended upwards at the heel and toe to provide additional protection when tackling rocky terrain.
These low-cut hiking shoes from Merrell uses a cushioned midsole and the brand-owned Kinetic Fit Base insole. The latter conforms to the shape of the hiker’s foot to render support without compromising flexibility. This mechanism helps reduce fatigue even after a long hike, thus alleviating the chances of incurring injuries.
Thanks to the inclusion of a molded nylon arch shank, underfoot firmness is granted. This element also helps prevent unwanted twisting of the foot over rugged terrain.
The upper of the Merrell Moab Edge 2 is made of lightweight materials. Its exterior combines TPU and mesh for protection while its interior uses a breathable lining for comfort.
The brand’s engineers incorporated the M Select Fresh feature in this hiking shoe. It helps maintain a fresh and odor-free environment. It utilizes a pro-biotic technology which bonds microbes to the shoe’s lining. These microbes (once activated by sweat or any organic material) break down the odor-causing bacteria. This process, according to Merrell, naturally occurs and is non-toxic.
The cleat is designed with a bellows tongue to prevent intrusion of loose trail debris. Additionally, this gear employs webbing loops, a pair of metal eyelets and a round lace for its closure system. Lastly, the heel tab assists in easy on and off.
Generally, the brand presents the following care tips in cleaning the footgear:
- Using a soft brush, scrub away dirt on the shoe’s surface regularly.
- After extended use in rugged outdoor conditions, wash it with mild soap and water. Rinse the shoe thoroughly ensuring that all soap has been removed (because its residue attracts water).
- To facilitate drying, remove the insole and lace. Open the shoe fully and let it air dry at room temperature. Never expose the product to direct sunlight or heat.