|Base model:||Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator|
|Features:||Lightweight | Orthotic friendly|
|Weight:||Men: 16.6oz | Women: 14.1oz|
|Width:||Men: Normal, Wide | Women: Normal, Wide|
|Material:||Leather, Mesh upper, Rubber sole, Suede, Vibram sole|
|Special editions:||4 special editions|
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
79 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
This shoe is super versatile; it allows you to really do anything you want in it.
As you would expect from Merrell, they’re a very good shoe with many high quality features that made my hiking a very pleasurable experience.
The popularity of this product line from Merrell indicates that many hikers aren't looking for the most aggressive, do-it-all shoe. It's a great shoe for many seasons of day hikes on trails that don't demand the highest level of support, foot protection, or water resistance (read: most trails).
- From an Ortholite footbed, the Moab 2 Waterproof is now equipped with the M Select FIT.ECO+, a contoured EVA footbed which provides comfort. Reinforcements on the arches and heel area are present, adding support and protection.
- The upper is upgraded from Dura leather and nylon mesh to premium performance suede and mesh upper. This improvement enhances waterproofing, durability and comfort. The mesh panels also make the shoe breathable and reduce the break-in period.
- The outsole of this revamped model is a Vibram TC5+ from a Vibram rubber. It has a lug depth of 5mm for traction.
- Also new in the Moab 2 Waterproof are the silicone bands on the upper that run along the side of the shoe to give stability and reduce chances of having sprained ankles.
Sizes for men are from 7 to 15, plus half sizes until 12.5. The women’s shoe has whole and half sizes ranging from 5 to 12. Both are offered in medium and wide width. Wide versions are offered up to size 14 for men and size 11 for women. They generally run true to size. The Moab 2 Waterproof encompasses the Merrell Moab fit known for its snug heel fit which prevents slippage, generous toe box to freely move toes without pinching and accurate instep for additional support. The traditional lace-up closure allows easy adjustment and better fit.
Using a Vibram TC5+ outsole, the Moab 2 Waterproof provides traction on various terrains. The lug pattern on this sole has varying shapes to prevent water from trapping. It decreases the chances of slips and falls. It also has a 5mm lug depth which makes it slip resistant. This shoe also has a substantial toe bumper that gives protection against inadvertent bumps.
The midsole features the Merrell M Select FIT.ECO with a blended EVA contoured footbed. This proprietary footbed promotes optimal arch and heel support. The heel area is also reinforced with a durable resin material and an air cushion in the heel that absorbs impacts. The air cushion adds to the comfort of the EVA midsole.
The nylon arch shank is lightweight yet supportive. It helps ease stress from the arch and permits the foot to move naturally. It addresses stability and improves weight support.
Featured in the Merrell Moab 2 Waterproof is the M-Select Dry which serves as protection against wet conditions. This technology prevents water from seeping in. It’s also moisture-wicking, so it allows moisture inside to vent, keeping the foot dry even while being active.
The enhanced performance leather suede and a breathable mesh upper will deliver a more comfortable and consistent ride. This light combination reduces or even removes the break-in period.
The upper of the shoe also has a bellows, closed-cell foam arrangement. Bellows' tongue prevents sand, dirt, rocks and the like from entering the boot. The closed-cell foam is resistant to water absorption and is firmer than Polyurethane (PU) foam. This foam also adds cushioning and comfort to the instep.
Introduced on the Moab 2 Waterproof is the speed band which is located on the sides of the shoe. It is a silicone-like rod that adds stability to the lateral and medial arches of the foot. These arches, in addition to the traverse arch, act like a spring, bear weight and absorb shock during locomotion. It is accompanied by the four finger-like overlays on the sides that help secure the foot in place. The heel pull loop allows easy on and off.
- Merrell Moab 2 Waterproof has a mid-rise version for both men and women. It also has a non-waterproof edition called Merrell Moab 2 Vent.
- Moab, according to Merrell, is an acronym for mother of all boots.