Merrell Choprock Shandal
Best price from 50 shops
We earn affiliate commissions at no extra cost to you when you buy through us.
41% say it's too large, 52% say it's true to size.
Overview of this review
Merrell Choprock Shandal notable features
-The Choprock Shandal is a Merrell sandal offering that enables outdoor enthusiasts to take on water hikes with sufficient performance. Its upper is composed of synthetic material, mesh fabric, and webbing for durability.
-The footgear’s compression-molded ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) midsole is equipped with Hydramorph channels to shed water while maintaining a cushioned ride. A Vibram Megagrip rubber outsole supplies traction on slippery surfaces.
Size and fit
The Merrell Choprock Shandal is a water hiking sandal for men and women. A Hyperlock molded heel counter made of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) provides a secure fit.
This Merrell sandal offering comes with an outsole made of Vibram Megagrip rubber for durability. It uses a network of 5mm-deep trapezoid-shaped lugs to deliver grip on wet and dry terrain. The outsole’s rear portion contains several grooves to help users gain control when tackling downhill slopes. Its front end extends upward for protection from stubbing.
The Choprock Shandal employs a compression-molded EVA midsole to supply cushioning and impact reduction when tackling uneven trails. It is engineered with Hydrmorph midsole channels and ports which evacuates water from the footgear. It also allows air to ventilate the user’s foot.
This Merrell product is equipped with a removable Kinetic Fit Base footbed made of EVA foam. It supplies the user with arch support and comfort underfoot. A Hyperlock counter made of TPU locks and stabilizes the wearer’s heel when in motion.
The Merrell Choprock Shandal uses an upper made of water-friendly synthetic material, mesh fabric, and webbing. This lightweight construction allows water to evacuate the upper and optimizes air ventilation. It also has an integrated rubber bumper to give protection and coverage to the toes.
The sandal’s lacing system consists of several webbing loops, a round lace, and a bungee drawcord. These components aid the wearer when it comes to fit management. A pair of pull tabs are placed on the collar and the tongue to give adventurers easy on and off.
- Those who desire durability and protection for multi-day trips might want to check a pair of backpacking boots out. One of the options that may be considered is the Salomon 4D 3 GTX.
- Outdoor enthusiasts who prefer to go day hiking may want to explore the benefits of using lightweight hiking shoes. Among the choices available in the market is the Adidas Terrex AX2R.
Merrell Choprock Shandal vs. Merrell Choprock
Both the Choprock and Choprock Shandal are products made for water hiking by Merrell. The former is designated as a hiking shoe while the latter is built as a water hiking sandal. Shown below are the ways in which these two offerings differ from one another.
- Upper. The Merrell Choprock features a water-friendly upper made of synthetic mesh and webbing material. Just like the Choprock Shandal, its low-top upper is reinforced with a Hyperlock molded TPU heel counter at the back and a rubber toe bumper at its forefoot area. These components add stability and durability. For more info on the Merrell Choprock Shandal’s upper, see the content above.
- Closure. Merrell’s Choprock comes with a traditional lacing system. It is designed to give wearers a secure and personalized lockdown. This closure differs from the Choprock Shandal, which employs a bungee lacing system.
- Price. The Merrell Choprock water hiking shoe is priced at $120, while the Choprock Shandal is being sold at $110.
- Weight. The Choprock is a hiking shoe engineered for male and female water hikers. The men’s variant weighs in at 381g while the women’s version is 256g. On the other hand, the Merrell Choprock Shandal is heavier at 402g and 276g for men and women, respectively.
Merrell Choprock Shandal care guide
Merrell suggests cleaning this product after each use. Doing so would help preserve its quality. Shown below are the guidelines for cleaning this water hiking sandal.
- The brand recommends using a soft brush wipe traces of dirt and mud on the footgear.
- Wash the Merrell Choprock Shandal using warm water and mild soap. Rinse it thoroughly to eliminate soap residue
- Leave the sandal to dry at room temperature. Remove its laces and insoles to dry separately.
- Do not place the Choprock Shandal near a direct source of heat as it may damage it.