Who should buy the Merrell Chameleon 8 Stretch
The Merrell Chameleon 8 Stretch has undoubtedly gotten high marks for its amazing features. It is a solid option if you:
- Prefer a hiking shoe that has a glove-like fit that spells comfort and flexibility.
- Prefer a hiking shoe that is easy to wear or take it off.
- Prefer a hiking shoe that provides extra grip on wet and dry surfaces.
Updates to Merrell Chameleon 8 Stretch
- The Merrell Chameleon 8 Stretch shoes for men and women feature a softer and more flexible mesh upper with Nubuck leather overlays. This new structure creates a glove-like fit that spells comfort and flexibility.
- It has a sleeker design compared to the Chameleon 7 Stretch. The web lacing system makes it easy to wear or take it off.
- This model has more padding around the collar. Plus, the grippy Vibram XS Trek Evo outsole comes with multidirectional lugs for extra grip on wet and dry surfaces.
Size and fit
One of the top features of the Chameleon 8 Stretch is its stretchable uppers made of elastic mesh fabric. The padded collar is firm yet soft, providing comfortable support around the ankle. Additionally, the elastic cord and lock lacing system allows for a secure fit and makes it easy for the wearer to adjust the tightness of the shoe whenever needed.
Provides grip and traction on uneven ground
Designed for hiking in rugged trails, the Chameleon 8 Stretch hiker from Merrell features an aggressive outsole with 5mm-deep lugs. It's made by Vibram - a world-leading manufacturer of footwear outsoles.
The lugs are multidirectional for enhanced grip and traction on uneven ground, including loose dirt, muddy terrain, and soft grass.
Flexible and durable cushioning
This shoe uses EVA foam for the midsole. It's soft, flexible, and durable - making it an ideal material for cushioning hiking footwear.
For added support and comfort, this shoe incorporates the Kinetic Fit BASE insole that is contoured to the foot.
Provides breathability and protection against dirt
The Chameleon 8 Stretch features a mesh upper that's reinforced by leather overlays (Nubuck). Mesh makes a great material for footwear because it's breathable. It offers protection against dirt and debris while allowing air to get through. It's less durable, however. Good thing, the shoe has leather overlays that help retain the structure and enhance the durability of the shoe.
Easy to adjust lacing system
This shoe also features the Merrell Air Cushion in the heel which helps absorb impact and adds stability. Completing the upper is an elastic cord and lacing system that promotes an easy adjustment of the fit. Furthermore, the bellows tongue keeps the debris out.
Nice to know
- Inspired by the fascinating characteristics and abilities of the known reptile, shoes from the Chameleon collection feature adaptability, durability, and protection. All the shoe models falling under this popular line-up, including the Chameleon 8s, are low-cut, lightweight, and versatile.
- The Merrell Chameleon 8 Stretch also comes with a waterproof version.