Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Lakai Griffins are offered in men’s sizing only which range from 5 to 12. Women are, of course, free and encouraged to try these kicks as well, provided they remember to order 1.5 sizes down from their usual shoe size.
The insoles of the shoes are thin and flat, so don’t expect arch support. They’re non-removable either, but some skaters have tried to rip the insoles and replace them with custom ones for a better fit.
Round laces in a 5-eyestay lace system keep the feet locked down securely. An extra pair of laces are provided with purchase.
The Griffin model has a classic style that’s not too casual. It doesn’t even look like a casual skate shoe at first glance because of its elegant air. And since the silhouette can be worn different ways, here are some style tips.
- Put on chinos and a yellow baseball-style shirt over a crisp white tee. Pair this outfit with Lakai Griffins in the eggplant suede colorway for a colorful vibe.
- Wide-legged trousers in a camo print, a simple graphic shirt in white, and a jacket on top can be combined with the cream white colorway of Lakai Griffin shoes.
- Pair slim-fitting black pants with a white crewneck tee, light taupe bomber jacket, and the grey and silver suede Lakai Griffin kicks.
- Slim black pants, a white shirt, a white blazer, and Lakai Griffins in black and white suede work well together.
Although not as tech-filled as other skate shoes, Lakai Griffin sneakers are nevertheless awesome kicks that any skateboarder would be proud to have. The shoes are light and flexible, which make it easy to flip your board.
The midsole crating keeps the feet amply protected from hard impacts so you can jump stairs all day without messing up your feet. It gives the shoes the cushioning it needs, especially with such thin insoles included. The form-fitting uppers adapt to the shape of the feet, so fit and comfort is assured.
Lakai is an American company founded by professional skateboarders Rick Howard and Mike Carroll in 1999. It was built around a grassroots tradition and the idea that skate shoes they produce should be something their team members would be proud to wear and support.
The idea of building the company has been simmering around since 1993, but it was only six years later when Howard and Carroll finally accepted the risk and launched Lakai.
To say that Lakai was a success is an understatement. Skateboarders knew they could trust the brand to churn out high-quality kicks that you can actually skate in. The focus of the brand was not on commercialism, but rather in producing outstanding skating shoes that help improve your game.
The Lakai Griffin model is one of the most popular silhouettes to come out of the Lakai range. The shoes have all the things you want your skate kicks to have such as flexibility, durability, and impact protection. The Griffin was overwhelmingly successful that the brand launched a cupsole edition called the Lakai Griffin XLK as well as several other iterations.
- The shoes weigh around 453 grams each.
- Lakai Griffin colorways include burgundy, light blue, charcoal, pink, and silver among others.
- The fabric of the uppers depends on the colorway. Some are made of suede, some canvas, while still others are textile.
- The shoes have a vulcanized construction.