Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
89 / 100 based on 4 expert reviews
This is truly one of the best leather mountaineering boots on the market for a wide variety of alpine objectives.
When the mountains are a technical obstacle course of snow, ice and frigid temperatures, the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX Mountaineering boot will be your foot’s best friend.
I wouldn’t—and haven’t—thought twice about using the Nepals for long or committing days.
The Nepal is worth the extra $100 if you want the longest lasting boot you can find. For this reason we think that the Nepal is the ideal boot for guide services or school outdoor clubs looking to have a fleet of boots.
- The La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX is part of the Nepal series. It is the Italian brand’s iconic line of mountaineering footwear which has been serving the needs of expeditionists for 25 years. According to La Sportiva, this range of products are built with quality, durability and reliability in “Val di Fiemme” (a valley in northern Italy located in a mountain region called the Dolomites) style.
- Ideally crafted for winter mountaineering and mixed climbing, the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX is a fusion of traditional construction with modern components. It has a leather upper combined with fabric and a Gore-Tex laminate. It is integrated with an elastic gaiter to prevent the entry of snow and scree.
- The brand designers equipped the boot with a tapered TPU midsole for durable cushioning. A heat-retaining insole and La Sportiva's SBR Aircushion are added to increase walking comfort.
- It has a rubber outsole with Impact Brake System which helps lessen the negative impacts from the ground. Its construction allows it to be resoled (sole can be replaced as necessary) for a cost.
The La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX is a fairly true-to-size, unisex mountaineering boot. It is offered in standard width and regular sizes. Using the Nepal last, it grants a precise fit suitable for most foot types. For women who are interested in purchasing this boot, going a size down is recommended to get the right fit.
Fit customization is made possible by the EZ roller hardware and removable tongue. The former uses a locking D-ring near the ankle to create differential tension on the forefoot and the shaft.
The La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX uses a Vibram rubber outsole equipped with Impact Brake System. It has aggressive, self-cleaning lugs which bite into most terrain types. The toe and heel areas are designed with a larger surface contact for a secure foothold on ascents and descents.
Resting underfoot is an insulating ibi-thermo 9 mm insole and SBR Aircushion. These materials cushion and help keep the warmth inside for a more comfortable ride. It works with an 8 - 9 mm crampon-ready TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) midsole. Also, there are PU inserts located in two sections: below heel and the ball of the foot. They are responsible for shock absorption.
This high-cut mountaineering boot from La Sportiva features a 3.2 mm silicone impregnated Idro-Perwanger leather. It is joined with an abrasion-resistant fabric which makes the upper flexible and durable. A Gore-Tex Insulated Comfort laminate retains heat on colder temperatures while keeping a breathable and waterproof environment.
The 3D Flex System features a multidirectional hinge which allows the ankle to move freely. It also yields a more enhanced foot control when traversing challenging terrains. The boot’s removable tongue, on the other hand, helps maintain a dry in-shoe feel by drawing moisture out of the boot.
The lacing system of this boot uses a combination of metal D-rings, open and closed hooks and webbing eyelets. It also comes with La Sportiva’s EZ Out pull loop to help unfasten the lace lock. The rubber rand at the base reinforces the upper and renders protection against knocks.
- This boot is compatible with step-in crampons.
- The Nepal EVO GTX was the 2013 winner of the Outdoor Gear Lab’s Best Buy Award.
- It bagged the Climbing Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Award.
- The women-specific model of this silhouette was discontinued.